T Nation

Clean Bulk Diet Ideas?

I am on the v-diet now, after I am done I want to do a clean bulk for quite a while. I will be following Waterburys new book and starting from the beginners work out and ending with the advanved.

Can some one reccomend a clean diet plan to follow. I ate pretty clean before my shoulder seperation in january and everything I gained turned to fat, so I want to do everything right this time around.

I started the v-diet at 180, I am between 168-172 now I dont know what I will end up at after this hell of a diet haha but my goal is to be a lean 200 lbs.

[quote]DF85 wrote:
I am on the v-diet now, after I am done I want to do a clean bulk for quite a while. I will be following Waterburys new book and starting from the beginners work out and ending with the advanved.

Can some one reccomend a clean diet plan to follow. I ate pretty clean before my shoulder seperation in january and everything I gained turned to fat, so I want to do everything right this time around.

I started the v-diet at 180, I am between 168-172 now I dont know what I will end up at after this hell of a diet haha but my goal is to be a lean 200 lbs.[/quote]

After the V-Diet, you could just be sure to follow Berardi’s 10 Habits, one of them being that every meal has 40-60 grams of protein per meal for males. I think if you just followed that, you could reach your goal. What’s your training and supplemnt plan like?

I highly doubt everything you gained turned to fat as muscle does not turn into fat.
Maybe they just got smaller and you gained weight?

[quote]DanErickson wrote:
I highly doubt everything you gained turned to fat as muscle does not turn into fat.
Maybe they just got smaller and you gained weight?[/quote]

His problem is that he was on the V-Diet to begin with. He was 180lbs and nearly 30% body fat. That means he had NO muscle on him yet decided that was a great place to do such a strict diet. Someone like that will simply DESTROY their metabolism making it that much easier to get even fatter if they ever started eating normally.

This diet has become some kind of perverse version of The Hollywood diet. It is being recommended to nearly everyone who logs in. Hopefully people will eventually quit being that foolish.

He was 180lbs and nearly 30% body fat.
-most people my height/age are 140-150 lbs.

Someone like that will simply DESTROY their metabolism making it that much easier to get even fatter if they ever started eating normally.

-I always ate every 3 hrs, complete whole meals, never ate junk food and havent drank a soda-soft drink in around 5 years.

I am not bragging, I have no reason ot brang, I just think it is wrong to judge peoples posts by numbers alone.

Again I am not an internet warrior like most people on here, I am just looking for advice, so Professor X what do you suggest? I only did the v-diet to get a head start on summer, do you have any opinions on who else to burn the fat off quickly?

[quote]DF85 wrote:
He was 180lbs and nearly 30% body fat.
-most people my height/age are 140-150 lbs.

Someone like that will simply DESTROY their metabolism making it that much easier to get even fatter if they ever started eating normally.

-I always ate every 3 hrs, complete whole meals, never ate junk food and havent drank a soda-soft drink in around 5 years.

I am not bragging, I have no reason ot brang, I just think it is wrong to judge peoples posts by numbers alone.

Again I am not an internet warrior like most people on here, I am just looking for advice, so Professor X what do you suggest? I only did the v-diet to get a head start on summer, do you have any opinions on who else to burn the fat off quickly?[/quote]

I didn’t ignore your height. I focused in on YOUR LACK OF MUSCLE MASS. You were carrying just over 120lbs of lean mass on you which is about how much your skeleton and organs weigh.

Someone like you should have spent some time in the gym first getting your body used to training instead of going on some all out super-diet. You should have taken things slower than that as far as caloric restriction and lifted weights like the goal was to gain muscle mass. the V-Diet is not for every person who barely trained before to jump on and lose 30lbs.

If you were eating several times a day, something was keeping you from gaining much muscle mass or losing much body fat before. Have you identified what that “something” was? Five years of eating like a bodybuilder and avoiding all sodas got you to 30% body fat? How does that happen? Were you lifting weights?

This isn’t about “internet warriors” (whatever the hell that means). this is about people being truthful with themselves, identifying what in their life was keeping them in a negative physical state and getting rid of those things methodically while forming new life long habits.

This is NOT about jumping on a “quick weight loss” diet, and then finding out that you have lost so much muscle in the process that any time off leaves you gaining all of the fat back.

A lean 200lbs means carrying near that much in lean body mass. This will take years and a lot of focus and determination. It makes me question what you were doing exactly for 5 years before this.

Should I quite the Velocity Diet now? and just start to eat clean, life heavy and do decent amount of cardio like I did up until January?

I got serious about lifting in October last year, I put on decent size in a few months. When I meesed up my shoulder I stoped everything over overnight. I thought getting the fat that I gained back off quickly was the answear, thus I started the Velocity Diet

What I ment about the “internt warrior” thing was that I am not going to argue, I am more than happy to take your adivce.

If I can get off thie diet now with out screwing up my body anymore than I already have than I am all for that.

[quote]DF85 wrote:
Should I quite the Velocity Diet now? and just start to eat clean, life heavy and do decent amount of cardio like I did up until January?

I got serious about lifting in October last year, I put on decent size in a few months. When I meesed up my shoulder I stoped everything over overnight. I thought getting the fat that I gained back off quickly was the answear, thus I started the Velocity Diet

[/quote]

You can’t just quit the Velocity diet unless you want to gain all of the fat back. You have to slowly (possibly very slowly) increase caloric intake and change your eating habits. I have no clue what your knowledge base is as far as lifting or eating, but with 30% body fat at that weight, I would guess the correct label is “newbie”. You gained that fat back so quickly before because of everything written above.

Since dwelling in the past gets us nowhere, what I would do now is maintain cardio and slowly increase calories even if that takes a few weeks for you to do.

You needed a lifting plan that didn’t force the kind of “fast weight loss” you chose. You needed to take things more gradually while learning how to lift with enough intensity to gain some muscle mass.

I was going to follow Waterbury’s new book when I got off the V-Diet. I will start that on Monday beginning with ABBH 1.

I was giving thought to cutting one or even two shakes out and adding plain tuna and egg white. Would that be a smart way about changing my diet?

Thanks for setting me stright

[quote]DF85 wrote:
I was going to follow Waterbury’s new book when I got off the V-Diet. I will start that on Monday beginning with ABBH 1.

I was giving thought to cutting one or even two shakes out and adding plain tuna and egg white. Would that be a smart way about changing my diet?

Thanks for setting me stright[/quote]

I don’t follow any of Waterbury’s work so I don’t know of the program you are speaking of. Your progress on ANY program will be based on your own intensity and consistency in your training and food intake. The name of the program means nothing if 5 years from now, you still look the same.

As far as your diet, you are choosing to simply replace liquid protein with solid protein. I personally don’t think most people outside of advanced athletes need to make an entire eating strategy around meal replacement shakes, and even then only for short periods of time.

Your goal is to learn to eat well from all angles, not just in terms of a couple of shakes. That says nothing about how you are eating the rest of the time. I also know that I personally don’t have the time currently to go into incredible detail about how you should be eating. Some of this has to be YOUR OWN WORK.

Follow the Proff’s advice. There is so much that can be said about nutrition, it’s true you have to find out about most of it yourself. Check out John Berardi, Lonnie Lowery. Read all their articles. Keep a food log. It takes time to get into a routine of eating to gain mass.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1226387

Here’s how to manage coming off the get shredded diet, a cousin of the v-diet.