Clean and Push Press Progression

Hi CT

I am just about to begin intergrating the Power Clean and Push Press into my modified 3,3,3,6,6,6 program and would like to learn the full lift from the floor. I can power clean proficiently from hang and blocks and can push press well with a solid rack position however when attempting the full lift from the floor i am finding it hard with the transition from below the knee to above. Do you have any progressions or drills i could start doing at the start of a workout to iron this out?

What i was currently thinking was to perform the full lift focusing on the first and second pull techniques with pauses just below the knee and a 2nd pause just before full extension and then gradually decrease the paused time as i become more fluid through the transition until i can complete the lift without pauses.

Apologies for the long winded question.

Many Thanks as usual

hey sorry this isn’t what you want to hear but CT has mentioned before that he thinks you should do either the clean OR press part of the lift, as it is too taxing for any strength capacity work

The clean & press is fine. However if you have 6 reps to do I prefer to do 1 clean + 6 presses or 6 cleans + 1 press unless you are using it for metabolic conditioning.

If you are good at the clean from the hang, it should be fairly easy to learn the clean from the floor.

The main difficulty is that when you lift from the floor you will have the tendency to pull in a straight-line up, which will actually leave the bar in front of you, which obviously puts you in a bad position above the knees.

REMEMBER THIS: The purpose of the first pull in the olympic lifts is only to put you in the proper position to explode once you pass the knees. Those who screw up the lift from the floor often try to “clean the bar from the floor” instead of bringing it under control above the knees then cleaning it.

Start by doing a slow first pull. Focus on pushing your knees back when you lift the barbell from the floor and keeping the bar close to you. Once the bar passes the knees you accelerate.

If you are not comfortable with doing it as one fluid movement, sperate the two portions: (1) do the first pull from the floor to just above the knees. When the bar passes the knees you should be in the same position as you are when lifting from the hang. PAUSE in that position then lift. As you become more efficient, stop doing the pause.

Think of it this way: the first pull (floor to knees) is about precision, the second pull is about power.

[quote]lboro21 wrote:
hey sorry this isn’t what you want to hear but CT has mentioned before that he thinks you should do either the clean OR press part of the lift, as it is too taxing for any strength capacity work[/quote]

Actually if you are doing strength-capacity work it’s fine to do the full lift. It’s when doing strength work that I prefer to do something like 1 clean + 6 presses or 6 cleans + 1 press

Thats perfect CT, thanks. Been practising them for a week now, on both press days performing 6 cleans + 1 press in the warm ups then 1 clean + 6 push presses in working sets to ensure i am getting enough stimulus for my shoulders in the press workout to allow growth whilst my clean is improving as currently my push press is greater than my clean when performed seperatley (i put this down to just technique).

Thanks also to lboro21

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]lboro21 wrote:
hey sorry this isn’t what you want to hear but CT has mentioned before that he thinks you should do either the clean OR press part of the lift, as it is too taxing for any strength capacity work[/quote]

Actually if you are doing strength-capacity work it’s fine to do the full lift. It’s when doing strength work that I prefer to do something like 1 clean + 6 presses or 6 cleans + 1 press[/quote]

Apologies guys, i must of misread!