Clean and Press vs. Dumbbell Press

i no the best way to gain mass in too switch up your lifts each week…which i do…in your opinion what puts on mass more effectively clean n press or just dumbbell press

[quote]toohungry wrote:
i no the best way to gain mass in too switch up your lifts each week…
[/quote]

No

[quote]toohungry wrote:

in your opinion what puts on mass more effectively clean n press or just dumbbell press [/quote]

The clean in itself is one of the greatest exercises there is, clean & press is superior to a (db) press

[quote]Petrichor wrote:
toohungry wrote:
i no the best way to gain mass in too switch up your lifts each week…

No

toohungry wrote:

in your opinion what puts on mass more effectively clean n press or just dumbbell press

The clean in itself is one of the greatest exercises there is, clean & press is superior to a (db) press

[/quote]

do you mean “clean and press” or “clean and jerk”? The dumbell shoulder press is a non explosive, lower weight lft, with no clean involved. I’d stick to your clean and press as your main lift. Add in DB shoulder press as a assesory sometime if it fits into your routine.

Listen to petrichor.

They are pretty different exercises as obviously the clean and press requires a whole different movement. I when I say clean and press I typically mean Power clean and Push press, no split jerk motion.

[quote]PF_88 wrote:
I when I say clean and press I typically mean Power clean and Push press, no split jerk motion.[/quote]

yeah I figured, but all the dumbasses here still call it a clean and jerk. Some guy told my full cleans and jerks were bad lifts for strength and for…FOOTBALL.

He wouldn’t take it that they weren’t tought full cleans and snatches becuase of people like him being too incompetent to learn them.

sorry for the ramble, but powerclean/pushpress is a pretty good variation for most people not involved in competitive lifting.

change to muscle clean + press the combination kind compliments each other. ie clean with your shoulders more instead of your lower body if its going to be a strictly deltoid exercise

[quote]bmitch wrote:

no that’s not true… how can you tell if your progressing if you do a different workout every week?
and clean and press[/quote]

agreed 100 percent

im not sure if i completly understand all your responces:

when i say change up your work out each week i mean say one weak i do for example dumbell flat bench then next week switch it up with barbell flat bench ect.

doesnt that type of switch keep the muscles guesing and growing?

Yes, but then you don’t have a workout. You no longer have a guess as to what weight you should be using - you need to be on an exercise long enough to see how much weight you can use with it. If you’re switching every week, you have no knowledge of what your limits are because you’re always rotating. Also, it would help to use punctuation and correct spelling for readability.

Also, there’s really no way that your body is totally adapting to a workout in one week. Switching up isn’t a bad idea, but I’d stick with a program at least 3-4 weeks before switching. If you want to gain mass, you’d be much better served by making sure you’re eating enough and really hammering a program for a few weeks than changing your workout so often you can’t tell if you’re making strength gains or not.

Solid replies you should heed mate. I personally like hang clean with a press.

And as far as changing your routine uploads, that is what advanced trainees should do. You aren’t that, yet. What works well for me is to do similar stuff, just ‘evolve’ the workout as needed when you need to, not just out of boredom or whatever. Don’t forget to deload and then reload, and that should suit you for a while yet.

you keep your body guessing by adding 5 lbs each week

thanks for the replies i will stick to a program now

thanks for the replies i will stick to a program now