Clean and Press, Sets/Reps/Loading?

Im starting to use a clean and press in one of my workouts, and have some questions.

My main goals are increased hypertrophy. I know that the clean and press isn’t necessarily the best exercise for this goal, but im using it in my “heavy” sessions.

I was thinking of doing something along these lines.

1a) Hang power clean + Push press 1 rep (work up to near max)

REST 3-5 minutes

1b) Hang muscle clean + press 3-5 reps (if needed, use slight leg drive to press weight overhead)

Rest 3-5 minutes, then repeat 2-3 times.

Is this a good idea, or should i be doing something differently? Keep in mind this is supposed to be a short and intense workout. I have many other sessions during the week that will focus more solely on hypertrophy.

Most likely your clean and your press are not going to be equals,and that is not even a competition lift anymore. I think it would make the most sense to do them separately. Just doing the clean will take gas away from your press.

[quote]Alffi wrote:
Most likely your clean and your press are not going to be equals,and that is not even a competition lift anymore. I think it would make the most sense to do them separately. Just doing the clean will take gas away from your press. [/quote]

It is if you do strongman

Well keep in mind that im not doing a full clean, or even a power clean. I will likely be limited by my pressing weight, but since im not competing in any way, I think combining the two lifts will get me the results im looking for. If I reach the point where my progress stalls, then I may do them separately so that I can progress further.

What im more concerned about is the sets, reps and loading.