T Nation

Clean and Jerk vs Deadlift

Don’t try to do Oly lifts with a standard barbell that doesn’t spin. You need an Oly bar that will spin. The Oly bar has bigger ends and takes the weights with the bigger holes in the middle. If you can get rubber plates, all the better.

Thanks skw

He is right. - The push press is your friend. Learn it. I am a pussy so when I snatch I use a coach. Oly lifts are your friend when you do them right. :slight_smile:

If you can’t overehead squat, your snatch is going to stink. And, my OHS, is pathetic.

I’ve been working on the push jerk. The whole idea of getting my feet in the air takes some getting used to.

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
RebornTN wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:
RebornTN wrote:
skw wrote:
There are two Oly lifts: Clean & jerk and Snatch.

Watch the videos on youtube on Oly lifts.

Snatch is overhead squat dominant.

You don’t need to do all the lifts in each workout. You can just do 1 movement per workout. Make sure you front squat with your elbows up and finger tips under the bar. Don’t do the arms crossed way.

Alright thanks for the tips so far. Might I ask what the benefit of the elbow and finger front squat is in comparison to the arms crossed method?

develop flexability and get used to having the bar there.

Make’s sense. Is it necessary to have those huge Olympic plates when deadlifting?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX8jgCFXYTU

I notice he say’s its standard amount of space from the floor to the bar, but is this for competition purposes or will I risk injury from using smaller plastic filled with concrete weights?

injury is doubtful. I would still get oly plates asap.[/quote]

I’ve got a 7foot bar and 110lb’s worth of weights arriving this friday.

[quote]skw wrote:
Don’t try to do Oly lifts with a standard barbell that doesn’t spin. You need an Oly bar that will spin. The Oly bar has bigger ends and takes the weights with the bigger holes in the middle. If you can get rubber plates, all the better. [/quote]

Not quite sure what you mean by the bar spinning-
Like literally spinning to make the grip easier?

One thing I noticed when I did try dead-lifting today was first off that I’ve just accumulated huge blisters (Though they are more like the skin got pinched together, if you can get the visual) on my hands from it. Also my hands seemed to be giving out a LOT quicker then my muscles did. No leg fatigue so far really, I did 2 sets of 10 and then 3 more reps before my hands gave out.

[quote]RebornTN wrote:
skw wrote:
Don’t try to do Oly lifts with a standard barbell that doesn’t spin. You need an Oly bar that will spin. The Oly bar has bigger ends and takes the weights with the bigger holes in the middle. If you can get rubber plates, all the better.

One thing I noticed when I did try dead-lifting today was first off that I’ve just accumulated huge blisters (Though they are more like the skin got pinched together, if you can get the visual) on my hands from it.

Also my hands seemed to be giving out a LOT quicker then my muscles did. No leg fatigue so far really, I did 2 sets of 10 and then 3 more reps before my hands gave out.[/quote]

Yes spinning, the ends of an oly bar rotate with the plates so that the bar doesnt wrench out of your hands.

Oly bars are a lot tougher on the grip when youre not used to them, but eventually you’ll find that you’ll love oly bars and hate the standards.

Do yourself a big favor and buy the book Starting Strength. It’s all explained in there and it’s all you need to worry about.

[quote]skw wrote:
Do yourself a big favor and buy the book Starting Strength. It’s all explained in there and it’s all you need to worry about.[/quote]

This one? (Just want to make sure that it would be the newest edition by Rippetoe)

[quote]DemonSevere wrote:
RebornTN wrote:
skw wrote:

One thing I noticed when I did try dead-lifting today was first off that I’ve just accumulated huge blisters (Though they are more like the skin got pinched together, if you can get the visual) on my hands from it.

Also my hands seemed to be giving out a LOT quicker then my muscles did. No leg fatigue so far really, I did 2 sets of 10 and then 3 more reps before my hands gave out.

Yes spinning, the ends of an oly bar rotate with the plates so that the bar doesnt wrench out of your hands.

Oly bars are a lot tougher on the grip when youre not used to them, but eventually you’ll find that you’ll love oly bars and hate the standards.[/quote]

Sounds good. Just glad that it’s not due to a technique flaw.

Deadlift.

Olympic lifts take years of coaching before you are able to have the skill and mobility to be able to shift enough weight to benefit your body to any real degree in comparisson to the same time spent on deadlift work and jump variations.

[quote]benmoore wrote:
Deadlift.

Olympic lifts take years of coaching before you are able to have the skill and mobility to be able to shift enough weight to benefit your body to any real degree in comparisson to the same time spent on deadlift work and jump variations.[/quote]

Thanks for the input, what do you mean by jump variations?

Good god. Judging by your questions, I would suggest that you get on the Starting Strength program ASAP, and not worry about anything more complicated than that.

[quote]Sneaky weasel wrote:
Good god. Judging by your questions, I would suggest that you get on the Starting Strength program ASAP, and not worry about anything more complicated than that. [/quote]

Thanks? I am going to bring it up with my parents though.

Starting Strength was written for teenagers. Rippetoe has a bunch of training videos on youtube. The man knows his stuff.

[quote]skw wrote:
Starting Strength was written for teenagers. Rippetoe has a bunch of training videos on youtube. The man knows his stuff.[/quote]

They fucking shot it down. Told me that I had already spent enough money on workout equipment for the basement (Which my olympic bar came today with 110lb’s of weight, I have to actually find a way to get more olympic weights as mine aren’t compatible…)

They piss me off as they actively work against me in regards to getting a job to earn cash, but then turn around and complain about me not having enough money to buy stuff.

Back to the original topic of the thread though, keep the info coming people.

Do you have a Play It Again Sports near you? Used weights are half price there.

[quote]skw wrote:
Do you have a Play It Again Sports near you? Used weights are half price there. [/quote]

While it’s not necessarily “close”, I just checked the store locator and it mentioned one that I have heard about. I will be sure to run it by my parents tomorrow morning.

How much do they offer on elliptical machine’s (in like new condition) Do you have any idea if their prices are competitive in comparison to what you could get on average from Ebay or another such site?

Rippetoe preaches power cleans for beginners. It must not be that bad when good form is teached.

If you are going to be doing deadlifts, I suggest getting more weights, because 110 lbs is not going to last you very long before you start getting into the time-wasting 20+ rep range. Screw the elliptical and get more weights, and maybe a power rack. Squats are the king of leg workouts.

To find cheap stuff- check your classifieds in the local paper, and browse craigslist. I have seen (but was beaten to)500 lbs of olympic weights, 2 olympic bars, 5-60 lbs of dumbells in steps of 5, a power cage, TWO fully adjustable benches, and a leg press. (it doesn’t do much, but I can probably resell it for a profit) all for $300. There is some seriously good deals there.

If you really want an elliptical, check the classifieds, they are almost always there for 500-$1000, a pretty good deal considering they cost $3000 new.

[quote]grayman19 wrote:
If you are going to be doing deadlifts, I suggest getting more weights, because 110 lbs is not going to last you very long before you start getting into the time-wasting 20+ rep range. Screw the elliptical and get more weights, and maybe a power rack. Squats are the king of leg workouts.

To find cheap stuff- check your classifieds in the local paper, and browse craigslist. I have seen (but was beaten to)500 lbs of olympic weights, 2 olympic bars, 5-60 lbs of dumbells in steps of 5, a power cage, TWO fully adjustable benches, and a leg press. (it doesn’t do much, but I can probably resell it for a profit) all for $300. There is some seriously good deals there.

If you really want an elliptical, check the classifieds, they are almost always there for 500-$1000, a pretty good deal considering they cost $3000 new.[/quote]

I reread my post and see the confusion, I was actually planning on selling my mom’s elliptical in order to buy the olympic weights, LOL. Yea, I’m going to be keeping on eye out in local listings for the weights.

I might also just end up going to Wal-mart of some store, and buying two 45 pound weight’s to have a real base for all my lifts.