T Nation

Clean and Jerk Critique

Hey guys, I’m starting to try to do some clean and jerks. I’m not sure if this is good form or not, seems to be pretty close in comparison to other videos. I would like some critiques please.

You were doing pretty good…and then you dropped your hips down too far which brought your shoulder blades behind the bar.

Start off with your hips higher and then squeeze your lower back to bring your chest up. You want a lot of tension before you even start the lift. Keep your shoulder blades over the bar. Also, you want the bar to be as close to the center of your foot as possible (pretty much touching your shins).

Other than that you seemed pretty good. I would just recommend doing them on a more stable surface than a spot in your backyard, which will probably help with your jerk portion of the lift.

Thank you.

Pretty good stuff. Try to stay on your heels in the catch of the clean and you should be more stable. The jerk is a bit wobbly as well but I think with time you will get used to it.

Definately get that front foot out further when you split for the jerk. It’s not an overhead lunge, your front foot needs to be at least far enough forward that the heel is straight under the knee, and preferably a little bit further than that.

Hold more tension at the start of the 2nd pull.

The path of the bar is actually very good. It starts away from the shins (good), too close and MOST people tend to bend their arms to move the bar around their knees = BAD and a waste of energy. The bar comes back towards your thighs nicely and you explode well in to the bar.

At the bottom of the Clean you lose tension a bit and are wobbly, this will improve but it isn’t too bad. You get all the way down = good. You can lift a lot more weight this way.

Jerk, your front foot barely moved. Look at the position of it in the video around about 33s. See where the front of your toes are? Thats where your HEEL should be.

Slightly shorter back foot but the placement isn’t too bad.

The back knee is VERY nicely bent = good. Most people stick it out like a KARATE STYLE STANCE!!! That is no good, or just stick it out bolt straight.

With a bent knee like in your video the hips are square.

The bar looks to be nearer the back end of your head = good. That is the correct position.

Your hips are under the bar nicely.

Pretty good.

Koing

awesome, thank you.

[quote]StevenF wrote:
awesome, thank you. [/quote]

Your welcome :slight_smile:

Koing

I think it’s Awesome!
…it’s Awesome that you lift in your yard!
…it’s Awesome that you do it so often that there’s divots in the ground from dumping the bar!
…and I’m not being a smarty-pants here either. I really mean that!

Koing gave you some great pointers. I can’t really add to that. But I will compliment you on your set-up. You have a good arch in your back.

And it’s Awesome that you lift in your yard!

ha!

:wink:

[quote]Pauli D wrote:
I think it’s Awesome!
…it’s Awesome that you lift in your yard!
…it’s Awesome that you do it so often that there’s divots in the ground from dumping the bar!
…and I’m not being a smarty-pants here either. I really mean that!

Koing gave you some great pointers. I can’t really add to that. But I will compliment you on your set-up. You have a good arch in your back.

And it’s Awesome that you lift in your yard!

ha!

:wink: [/quote]

The arch in his back is good and the way he pulls the bar close to his thighs for the 2nd pull is very good.

Keep tighter off the floor though. Really work hard on keeping the arch of the back strong as you do the first pull.

Practice the first pull with moderate weight for 4-5reps x 4sets or so. Makes your first pull and back positions really strong.

Koing

I’m no clean and jerk expert, but I noticed that when you squat cleaned, you kinda bounced from your knees, which isn’t good from an injury standpoint. You also had some lower body instability in your jerk, and it seems to lack power.

Perhaps you need to strengthen your legs a little more so you can clean without the need of bouncing your knees and be more stable in the jerk.