T Nation

Clavicle Pain After Dips

I have been improving on dips over the past few weeks. I got up to 30lb + bodyweight but in hindsight, my form was atrocious. Like I said, I am an idiot, and I had noticed a left clavicle pain for awhile when doing dips, but ignored it because it quickly faded after dips and didn’t make any of my other lifts suffer. Last time I dipped the pain was intense but subsided as always.

But a few days later, I can’t even bench without bringing on the pain. I can, oddly, overhead press but I have not tried heavy weights and will not until I am diagnosed. My shoulder now pops when I rotate it, but doesn’t hurt unless I do pushups or any kind of forward pressing movement.

I’m going to the Dr’s and I am fearing that he will tell me I have a serious AC joint seperation. I’ve dropped all upper body movements, and am doing light external rotations and rotator cuff and scap work as well as shoulder dislocates to help rehab. this is the end of my training stupidity, as I’ve been lucky with injuries lately in that they have all been mostly easily fixed, but I have a feeling that this one is different.

my clavicle area pops when I rotate my shoulders and I have a dull pain after leaning on the injured arm, although I can laterally lift my arm and do a chest fly without pain. I can deadlift, pullup, and squat w/o pain. anyone else had this type of injury and what was your recovery time? I am hoping mine is just inflamed… I’m such an idiot.

You have an inflamed rotator cuff, in my honest opinion. IF thats the diagnosis, you need to do rotator cuff work with weights, and once the problem goes away you may have to train puling movements a lit harder than before. GEt an MRI as well.

[quote]u_mombooto wrote:
You have an inflamed rotator cuff, in my honest opinion. IF thats the diagnosis, you need to do rotator cuff work with weights, and once the problem goes away you may have to train puling movements a lit harder than before. GEt an MRI as well.[/quote]

Thanks for the response but I think it has to do with my AC joint, as I’ve searched many posts on this website and others and they all point to AC joint seperation or the condition I mentioned above. I will make sure to inquire about an MRI when I see the dr.

A weightlifter can’t be an idiot. You have two choices. Either you stop lifting or stop being an idiot. In other words, if dips bring you pain, don’t dip.

[quote]fatcat wrote:
I have been improving on dips over the past few weeks. I got up to 30lb + bodyweight but in hindsight, my form was atrocious. Like I said, I am an idiot, and I had noticed a left clavicle pain for awhile when doing dips, but ignored it because it quickly faded after dips and didn’t make any of my other lifts suffer. Last time I dipped the pain was intense but subsided as always.

But a few days later, I can’t even bench without bringing on the pain. I can, oddly, overhead press but I have not tried heavy weights and will not until I am diagnosed. My shoulder now pops when I rotate it, but doesn’t hurt unless I do pushups or any kind of forward pressing movement.

I’m going to the Dr’s and I am fearing that he will tell me I have a serious AC joint seperation. I’ve dropped all upper body movements, and am doing light external rotations and rotator cuff and scap work as well as shoulder dislocates to help rehab. this is the end of my training stupidity, as I’ve been lucky with injuries lately in that they have all been mostly easily fixed, but I have a feeling that this one is different.

my clavicle area pops when I rotate my shoulders and I have a dull pain after leaning on the injured arm, although I can laterally lift my arm and do a chest fly without pain. I can deadlift, pullup, and squat w/o pain. anyone else had this type of injury and what was your recovery time? I am hoping mine is just inflamed… I’m such an idiot.[/quote]

inflamed/agitated infraspinatous
internal rotation exercise w/ 5lbs
stretch
fix your muscle imbalance (work on your pulls instead of pushes)
i might be completely wrong, but then again, im trying to diagnose over the comp.

I’d be carefull with this. I had the exact same kind of pain when I first started dipping, even without weight, so I quit doing them but then suffered a bad shoulder injury about 2 months later. Finally got my act toghether and fixed my imbalances and I can dip with 2 plates pain free. Consider it a warning sign that you most likely have a weak upper back/tight internal rotators. Stretch the pecs + lats + upper traps like crazy, only db chest work for atleast 4 weeks, no verticle pulls for atleast 4 weeks, tons of horizontal pulling (face pulls especially), external rotator work if no pain and maybe do some foam rolling of the lats, upper back and chest.

thanks for the info. my Dr’s appointment got pushed back another week. So I have 7 days till the appointment. Until then I’m not going to do any lifting, just hiking to stay active and stretching and foam rolling to stay loose. Today my clavicle area feels inflamed, I’ve taken a few ibuprofin’s to help settle it down and iced it a bit.

I’ve had a dull ache all day but no sharp pains, but then again I haven’t done anything to bring on the pain. I can move my arm without much discomfort, so I am hoping it is just healing up and that I didn’t do any real damage. in 7 days i’ll post back after the appointment.

I have a similar a problem…howd your apointment go?

What happen haha! I got the same problem I believe. Shifted my left clavicle up from doing dips. I wish I was still at my 100%