Classical Physique Training?

Is anyone training for a more “classical” physique? By that, I mean the look of Steve Reeves, Vince Gironda, Reg Park, John Grimek, etc.

I’m 5’11, 145, and I have no business doing anything but adding mass at this point. However, that’s ultimately the direction I want to train.

I was just wondering if anyone’s currently training for that look. And if so, how are you going about doing it?

Also, is there anything I could focus on now that would help me get that later?

Get huge, lean and take photos of yourself with a really old black and white camera.

FST-7.

[quote]yolo84 wrote:
FST-7.[/quote]

That’s for sausage balloons breh

[quote]LoRez wrote:
Is anyone training for a more “classical” physique? By that, I mean the look of Steve Reeves, Vince Gironda, Reg Park, John Grimek, etc.

I’m 5’11, 145, and I have no business doing anything but adding mass at this point. However, that’s ultimately the direction I want to train.

I was just wondering if anyone’s currently training for that look. And if so, how are you going about doing it?

Also, is there anything I could focus on now that would help me get that later?[/quote]

Dude, SERIOUSLY, there’s nothing you should be focusing on NOW other than gaining your first-year noobie gain of 20-something pounds! Then and only then will you even see what adjustments you will have to make in order to get the look you want!

You can’t scult a pebble.

Is anyone going for this look? Yes, many. It takes getting your quads, lats, and delts as big as possible.

[quote]LoRez wrote:

Also, is there anything I could focus on now that would help me get that later?[/quote]

Describe the look. Think about what you describe. Adjust your training accordingly. Example: “Those guys had great looking physiques, I like the V taper look, without the huge legs of bodybuilders today, but big chests are nice…” (this would entail hard work on the lats and chest, minimal size gains around the waist, not training legs as hard…) do you see my point? figure out what you like about those physiques, emphasize corresponding exercises. No need to over-think here.

and what brick said. for now, if you look at your body, and NONE of it looks like your goal, work hard on everything, adjusting later.

lol

Get as big and lean as you can. I promise you won’t accidently look like Markus Ruhl.

lol @ this thread

someone give the kid a steak and some milk

[quote]Maiden3.16 wrote:
Get as big and lean as you can. I promise you won’t accidently look like Markus Ruhl.[/quote]

I dunno man, I had carbs with a meal one time, and the next day I got stopped on the street by someone yelling “RUUUUUHHHLLLL!!!”

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[quote]LoRez wrote:
I’m 5’11, 145, and I have no business doing anything but adding mass at this point.[/quote]

Dude, SERIOUSLY, there’s nothing you should be focusing on NOW other than gaining your first-year noobie gain of 20-something pounds![/quote]

Didn’t I just say that? I think I said that.

[quote]BrickHead wrote:
Is anyone going for this look? Yes, many.[/quote]

Well, I assume they must be, but where are they? I spent some time looking through RMP, and I see a lot of “Men’s Health” fitness models, and “waterfilled sausage balloons”. Not much for the Reeves/Grimek look. That’s why I asked.

(Don’t get me wrong, I respect all the hard work toward whatever look. It’s just there’s a particular look that I want)

[quote]Yolo84 said:
FST-7.[/quote]

What is that, the Bodybuilding forum’s equivalent of “Reg Park’s 5x5”?

For those who got a laugh out of this, awesome… but I was trying to get the focus off of me. The only thing I have that’s remotely close to that look is the narrow waist. The rest, I have years to go. I know that. Train lots, eat lots, sleep lots. Right, I get that.

Probably the biggest difference I’ve noticed between then and now is the chest development. It was less developed back then, but it was also pointing more upward. It was a high arched chest. How the hell did they do that? Pullovers? Breathing squats?

The second part is I’m confused about their shoulders. I don’t know much about deltoid development, so I’m a little confused at how WIDE the shoulders are. Skeletally, my shoulder joints are not much wider than my hips. But when you put muscle on top of it, can you actually add that much width? Or are their skeletons literally that much wider?

For the record, I had milk and steak tonight.

[quote]LoRez wrote:
Probably the biggest difference I’ve noticed between then and now is the chest development. It was less developed back then, but it was also pointing more upward. It was a high arched chest. How the hell did they do that? Pullovers? Breathing squats?

The second part is I’m confused about their shoulders. I don’t know much about deltoid development, so I’m a little confused at how WIDE the shoulders are. Skeletally, my shoulder joints are not much wider than my hips. But when you put muscle on top of it, can you actually add that much width? Or are their skeletons literally that much wider?
[/quote]

Dude, the answer to all of these questions is FST-7. Did you even look into it? If not, why have you come back bitching?

Pointy Chest? FST-7
Wider skeleton? FST-7

OP, Do some research on “Vince Gironda”.

yolo you sucking some fst-7 dick lately?

How about while you are adding your bulk you research how those guys trained, and then try to emulate it. Super strength training is a great site for finding old training literature for sale. There is a nitch for almost every thing you can think of. So are there people who train clasically? Of course; however off the top of my head john grimek was mostly an olympic lifter, who utilized high rep squats and dumbells and of course the snatch, clean and jerk, and clean and press.

Reg Park, well i think there was some dickhead going around screaming in every forum about him. So, we all know what he did. My point being (and this is probably true of all the guys on that list in your post) that you’re describing a look, but methodology can greatly differ. So again super strength training- may provide you with some fodder

Oh, and since your thinking clasical, i know you gota be bulking with perry raeder’s 20 rep squat routine and good old gomad. Anyways, good luck…

[quote]LoRez wrote:
[/quote]

Steve Reeves and Vince Gironda actually had more of the Tapered physiques I believe you’re speaking of. Grimek and Park were serious heavy weight lifters, and had more of a barrel shaped physique.

With Reeves, I’m fairly certain his build would have looked the same no matter how he trained, it was just genetics that allowed for a narrow waist, and small joints.

Gironda on the other hand, seriously thought about what he was doing. He thought squats would make your midsection thick, that most ab exercises worked your hip flexors more than your abs, and that dips were the best exercise for chest (most guys back then did!) You would be well suited to hunt down some of his writing if that is indeed the look you wish to attain.

Keep in mind though, that at your current height and weight, you won’t really look to impressive with any set of proportions until you pack on a good 50-60 lbs. Even ‘classical’ guys like Reeves were over 200 lbs.

S

[quote]bignate wrote:
yolo you sucking some fst-7 dick lately?[/quote]

woah dude take your meds and calm down.

OP - on a serious note you might want to look into that “ideal proportions” stuff I think it’s by Casey Butt (yes that’s an actual name).

Talks about size of arms in respect to calves etc. Sounds like it would be up your street.