Classic Music

As a pianist I’m all about Chopin. Aside from the fact that I love romanticism, I appreciate that he didn’t just write music, he wrote piano music. It’s complex yet very playable at the same time. Very expressive and open to interpretation.

One of my favorites to play:

Have to say, that 9-year-old plays it about as well I’ve ever heard it played.

And here’s a jazzy take on a Bach classic from The Triplets of Belleville (great movie, if you haven’t seen it):

[quote]hoosegow wrote:
I can’t listen to a lot of these without thinking about Looney Tunes. That’s pretty sad when most of the culture I’ve received is from a cartoon.[/quote]

It doesn’t matter where you first heard the music as long as you enjoy it. I believe that Disney’s Fantasia should be shown at every kindergarden and elementary school in the country so kids get an early exposure to classical music.

George Frideric Handel - Water Music - The Messiah
Modest Mussorgsky - Pictures at an Exhibition - Night on Bald Mountain - Boris Godunov
Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov - Scheherazade
Richard Wagner - Tristan und Isolde - Parsifal - Tannhauser - Der Rings des Nibelungen(Das Rheingold, Die Walkure, Siegfried, and Gotterdammerung)Yes, I have listened to the entire Ring Cycle, all 15 hrs, but not at one sitting.
Edvard Grieg - Piano Concerto - In the Hall of the Mountain King
Dmitri Kabalevsky - Colas Breugnon (tried to find it on youtube but all the performances were wayyyy under tempo)

The greatest composer ever
P.D.Q. Bach - The Abduction of Figaro - Hansel and Gretal and Ted and Alice - 1712 Overture - The Stoned Guest - Oedipus Tex - A Little Nightmare Music

[quote]youngblood52 wrote:
Not exactly classical but definitely orchestral, and when played right, is a really nice piece:

Astor Piazzolla - “Libertango”

[/quote]

here’s agood version of it. As boh a classically trained musician and an avid tango dancer, this pretty much gets it right…

–jj

Nothing wrong with that, my man. That’s how most of us were introduced in the first place.

The absolute best thing imo you can do for a kid (besides giving him/her a computer and teaching him or her to love to read) is introduced to classical music; and the best way to do that is cartoons. And the most watchable cartoons for both adult and kid, with the most classical music/neoclassical arrangements? Looney Tunes.