Clarify This WS4SB for Me Please

On Day One

My max effort lift - Work up to a max set of 3-5 reps of Barbell Bench Press.

Ok, all well and good, but at the end of the program, a paragraph says “I reccomend rotating your max effort exercise every two or three weeks to prevent your nervous system from getting burned out.”

So, does that mean, I rotate it with one of the other exercises of that day?

My program is this

Max set of 3-5 reps
Barbell bench press

3-4 sets of 6-10 reps
Incline Dumbbell Bench Press

4 sets of 10-15 reps
Barbell Rows

2-3 sets of 12-15 reps
Rope pulls to throat

3-4 sets of 8-15 reps
Russian twists

So, do I now do the Incline dumbbell for the max effort or what?

ANother question, off subject…

I have done dumbell rows before, and I can do sets of 10+ reps with 75-85 pound dumbbells. Now why in the hell can I only barbell row like, 90 pounds total and struggle like a mother fucker… It blows my mind…

You switch to another excercise that he gives as ME lifts such as incline bench, floor presses, board presses, rack lockouts or weighted chins

Stick with the plan you have for a few weeks. Then, you pick a new ME lift and some new accessory lifts for a few weeks, then go back to the start.

As an example, I have been doing this for a few months with BB bench and Squats as my ME lifts. Just last week, I switched to my new cycle of Weighted Chins and deadlifts as my ME lifts. After a few weeks, I’ll go back to bench and squats.

It really is a simple program.

Now, there is no reason why you can’t have more ME lifts to cycle through, but, you want to keep doing the same ME lifts for a few weeks before switching.

Now, as for the dumbell vs barbell question, that can be due to cheating with the dumbells. You may not realise that you are twisting as you approach the top in an effort to get more weight. The barbell doesn’t let you do that. Try really strict form, with someone watching you, on the dumbells and see if you can still do the same weight.

Alright, so if I have been doing them for like 3 weeks, could I go one more week and then switch them?

Also, going back to the BB bench and the squats, will I lose all the progress I’ve gained? Just a question.

Thanks for the help.

You can go a couple more weeks if things are working for you. It really depends on you. For me, at around the 3 week mark, I start to notice that it is getting harder to push the same weights.

AFter a few weeks, you shouldn’t lose much. For me, I usually come back using the same weights or even stronger. No need to worry about that.

No worries. Check out the WS4SB Appreciation thread (in Strength Sports) if you need any additional help.