T Nation

Clarification On Waterbury's TBT

I’m currently doing a 4 week cycle of Waterbury’s TBT while dieting. I have a question of clarification. In his article outlining this program he states that one should switch to another exercise for a given muscle after 2 weeks, e.g., “if barbell flat bench press is chosen as your chest exercise you should switch to another chest exercise after 2 weeks”.

Does Waterbury mean to say that you should perform the same exercise for a give body part for ALL 3 OF YOUR WORKOUTS EACH WEEK FOR 2 WEEKS (=6 workouts) before switching to another exercise for that body part, or does he mean to use the same exercise for the same training day for 2 weeks (=2 workouts) before switching to another exercise for that body part?

In the latter case you would be using 3 different exercises each week for a given body part, for 2 weeks in a row, in the former 1 exercise for all 3 training sessions each week for 2 weeks in a row.

[quote]crowbar46 wrote:
I’m currently doing a 4 week cycle of Waterbury’s TBT while dieting. I have a question of clarification.

In his article outlining this program he states that one should switch to another exercise for a given muscle after 2 weeks, e.g., “if barbell flat bench press is chosen as your chest exercise you should switch to another chest exercise after 2 weeks”.

Does Waterbury mean to say that you should perform the same exercise for a give body part for ALL 3 OF YOUR WORKOUTS EACH WEEK FOR 2 WEEKS (=6 workouts) before switching to another exercise for that body part, or does he mean to use the same exercise for the same training day for 2 weeks (=2 workouts) before switching to another exercise for that body part?

In the latter case you would be using 3 different exercises each week for a given body part, for 2 weeks in a row, in the former 1 exercise for all 3 training sessions each week for 2 weeks in a row.[/quote]

Why are you asking this in the bodybuilding section?
Waterbury is not a bodybuilding author and his programs are not bodybuilding programs.

Just ask in the article-comments or in one of his locker room threads.

Or use the search function…

1. it’s not clear in his article
  2. TBT IS stated as a “bodybuilding” program–no I’m not interested in any ignorant wornout rehashing of arguments over which type of training is “real” bodybuilding
  3. if you read my post I’m using it during a dieting phase
  4. he dosen’t seem to keep up with his locker

My suggestion–shut the fuck up if you don’t have anything relavant to add to a discussion!

Crowbar

same exercise for two weeks.

If you’re a beginner, this program would serve well.

BUT, if you’ve been at the iron game for some time, this program is too low in volume. Choose a different program that allows more volume per muscle group, like an upper/lower split, or something similar.

Forbes, thanks for the reply. As I said, I’m using this during a DIETING phase; it’s not meant as a typical bodybuilding program–at least not for me.

Really, I know I was being nitpicking, I was just interested in his intent here. He actually states that you can rotate exercses as much as you want within the set/rep parametrs, and it makes sense to do this if you’re more advanced, in my opinion.

After a stretch of relatively low rep heavy training, I needed this change up–it’s actually allowed me to add a little muscle as I’ve lost body fat.

Crowbar

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
crowbar46 wrote:
I’m currently doing a 4 week cycle of Waterbury’s TBT while dieting. I have a question of clarification.

In his article outlining this program he states that one should switch to another exercise for a given muscle after 2 weeks, e.g., “if barbell flat bench press is chosen as your chest exercise you should switch to another chest exercise after 2 weeks”.

In the latter case you would be using 3 different exercises each week for a given body part, for 2 weeks in a row, in the former 1 exercise for all 3 training sessions each week for 2 weeks in a row.

Why are you asking this in the bodybuilding section?
Waterbury is not a bodybuilding author and his programs are not bodybuilding programs.

Just ask in the article-comments or in one of his locker room threads.

Or use the search function…[/quote]

LOL ! he told you now didnt he cc ! :stuck_out_tongue:

Waterbury haters are all officially gay. He asked it here to get a response from someone who has done the program before.

This is one of chads better programs IMO. He means use the same exercise for the same training day. Do that for 2 weeks then change the exercises and the order in which you do them.

This is a very enjoyable program because he leaves the exercise selection up to you. So if you haven’t done a certain exercise in a while add it in. Enjoy, and all the haters should pick up a copy of this:

Here’s my opinion…

TBT WILL build muscle but not as fast as a typical bodypart split.

I have a MASSIVE problem with all the TBT fan boys who claim that it’s the best way to build muscle. Claiming that Pros don’t know anything and bodypart splits won’t build muscle on natural trainers.

…the thing is, steroids will increase the effectiveness of a program (OBVIOUSLY)…the pros do bodypart splits because that builds muscle faster than TBT (plus the loads they use wouldn’t allow it).

If TBT was the holy grail of training then the PROS would be doing it ON STEROIDS…but they don’t…because it’s not!

For what it’s worth, I think Waterbury meant use the same exercise for ALL training sessions for a muscle for 2 weeks (=6 workouts with the same movement). There is benefit to using the same movement for awhile before moving to a new one.

Crowbar

I’ve been using this routine for about 6 weeks and I think I like it so far. I’ve been using different exercises for each of the different weeks as I feel certain movement favor certain rep ranges.

But I’m a bit confused as well whether he (CW) meant to change up after 2 weeks IF you’re using the same exercises for all of your workouts which I think is what he meant. So I’m just going to use the same ones for all 4 weeks of the 5, 8 & 15 rep workouts until I start over then I’ll replace them all.

But I got 2 weeks into the 18, 8 & 12 switch and didn’t like it much. I’ve never liked or responded well to higher reps but did it just to see what it would do for me.

I don’t know if it was psychological but I felt it somewhat regressed me so I went back to the beginning after only 2 weeks. I felt my body did much better with the 5,8 and 15 work.

But I think this routine is perfectly fine for natural trainees. Splits favor juicers because they can handle a much higher volume recovery-wise. Granted TBT is less volume but you make up for it with increased training frequency.

But the only way to know if it’ll work for you is to try it and chart your results which is exactly what I’m doing. But I’m planning to switch between TBT and splits just for variety sake and to keep fresh in both my body and mind.

1morerep, As you said I’m sure CW meant to change movements for a bodypart after you’ve used the same one for every workout for 2 weeks (=6 workouts with the same movement for a given bodypart.

Using the same movement in a different rep range, with different rest intervals, and in a different exercise sequence will produce a different stimulus; however, having said this I think you can overdo it.

For me at least, 4 weeks using the same movement for a given bodypart 3x week (=12 workouts) would be too long–I’d become stale and stop making progress. Everyone is different though.

I’m not sure I understand what you meant when you said you were using different exercises for each week. Did you mean different exercises for the same bodypart for each of the 3 different workouts within the same week,

Or the same movement for a given bodypart for all 3 workouts within the same week then chane to a different movement for that bodypart starting with week 2 (the antagonist training week)?

The more I think about the logic, the more I think CW meant to use a movement for a given bodypart for the same rep workout for 2 weeks then switch exercises.

For example, barbell flat bench for chest for the 5 rep workout (only) of weeks 1 and two (which is a mirror image of week one, except you use antagonist training), then on the 8 rep day of weeks 1 and 2 you would use a different movement for chest, and on the 15 rep days yet another.

After 2 weeks you would choose a different chest movement for each of the 5,8, and 15 rep workouts and use those for the next 2 weeks.

Crowbar

omfg… this is not a tbt vs split thread, the guy asked some simple questions, no need to attack his program, it’s his time he can work whichever program he likes. In the end we are all after similar goals, build muscle, lose fat, get strong.

bump

bump bro.

i understood TBT to be 3 different exercises for the 3 workouts(i.e. Monday-flat bench Wednesday-decline Friday-incline). then after 2 weeks your change them all.

but crowbar and imorerep thought CW meant that you do the same workout with the same exercises for each of the rep ranges 5,8,15.

im confused about this too and if anyone could clarify it would be awesome

yo chill on dissin’ Waterbury, he trains heidi montag! look at those pecs!