Clapping Chin-Up - Superior Back Builder?

[quote]TheDudeAbides wrote:
I really don’t think that clapping pull-ups helped him achieve his back strength.[/quote]

You’re probably right. It’s still one of my long-term goals, though. For me, it’s not about doing them to develop strength, but developing the strength to do them.

[quote]Otep wrote:
…Clap Front-squats would also be a cool idea. Anyone whose watched the C&J at the olympics knows the lifters squat the weight up so fast it frequently bounces up off their shoulders.

…[/quote]

I CAN’T WAIT to see the video of those…

[quote]jimboman wrote:
Otep wrote:
…Clap Front-squats would also be a cool idea. Anyone whose watched the C&J at the olympics knows the lifters squat the weight up so fast it frequently bounces up off their shoulders.

[/quote]

Yeah, That’s the equivalent for squats. Doin’ a front-squat really fast so the barbell pops up a little bit.

Btw, the whole “clapping” pullup thing is plyometrics, it’s meant to improve speed n’ dynamic strength NOOOTTT build mass. Same thing with clapping pushups n’ box jumps.

theres 1 dramatic difference: clapping pushups and box jumps are not hard. Ie causing the acceleration to lift yourself off the ground during the push-up is NOT hard. While creating acceleration in order to fly up at the end of the rep on a chin-up bar, without swinging, is completely different.

It is not “completely” different. You are still taking an object at rest, generating the acceleration to move that object, and then releasing the medium that you used to generate the acceleration (your hands). Pushups are easier than pullups, yes, but the degree of difficulty IS NOT JUSTIFICATION for classifying it as a completely different exercise.

For the record, I have never done those pullups, until today. At the end of a 60 minute push-lift, I knocked out 8 of them without straining too hard. I am not very strong.

NO, you lose lifting range of motion as you clap, you don’t lower under control, you lose effectiveness.

OP after seeing your crappy RMP you should be doing real chin up and bent bb rows. Also start deadlifting, 225 max deadlift and your trying to find some fancy way of training your back. Don’t make me mention your squat too…

p.s.

This is the OP’s RMP thread, entitled ‘the beast awakens’. That’s the body that clap pullups built.

http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=2321491

[quote]jimboman wrote:
Otep wrote:

[/quote]

Give me two weeks, and I’ll have a video up in my profile.

I say two weeks, because I just finished a cut, and I wanna be able to do it with some decent weight. Right now I could probably do it with 135, but then again, who couldn’t?

Whats the benefits of being taht explosive anyway?

This is what I wanna ask. See, ill do Deadlifts like a mofo in the off season of football. But DLs arent gonna do much in the exlosive/power department, more like the strength/mass development department. But when I start playing football, and I stop DLing heavy…I always end up making that conversion from (stregnth) to (power/explosivness) really well. Like within just a few weeks. Why is this? if this is true for everyone…Do heavy weighted pullups then take a couple weeks off every six months and just to a lot of circut training or cross fit stuff.

Anyones take on this?