Clapping Chin-Up - Superior Back Builder?

Ive recently seen a dude at our uni’s gym do clap chinups and that was amazing. I think he plays for our basketball team. Anyway upon analyzing the excercise it seems that it could be a potentially superior back builder.

Since its explosive - it hits mostly your HTMR(high threshold motor units) and it shocks your CNS. And it has all the advantages of a real chinup. Imagine including 50 clap chinups/pullups in your back workout.

Its not easy to perform but its managable with heavy swinging - and then gradually improve your form to no swinging at all. Maybe even include some weight after a while(would have to be attached to the belt directly).

Clapping Pullups - YouTube - A crossfit vid. The guy swigns alot but its a start.

are clapping pushups superior for chest development? no.

Nor are these superior for anything except… learning to clap in mid-air…

[quote]mr popular wrote:

Nor are these superior for anything except… learning to clap in mid-air…[/quote]

I think he’s on to something mr popular.

Just think…clap squats…clap bicep curls…obviously clapping your hands together will make you even bigger.

Clap bicep curls… that would be some cool shit, because you can actually do it.

Clap Front-squats would also be a cool idea. Anyone whose watched the C&J at the olympics knows the lifters squat the weight up so fast it frequently bounces up off their shoulders.

So yeah, the statement was made from a perspective of newb-ness, but some of it could work.

Clap-back-squat… would be failure though.

To the OP: There’s frequently a trade-off between speed and load. That dude could probably do clap-pullups with light weight, or regular pullup with heavy weight. Both would work the CNS. Both would recruit HTMU’s. Both have their place.

If… doing pullups is your gig.

[quote]Otep wrote:
Clap bicep curls… that would be some cool shit, because you can actually do it.

Clap Front-squats would also be a cool idea. Anyone whose watched the C&J at the olympics knows the lifters squat the weight up so fast it frequently bounces up off their shoulders.

So yeah, the statement was made from a perspective of newb-ness, but some of it could work.

Clap-back-squat… would be failure though.

To the OP: There’s frequently a trade-off between speed and load. That dude could probably do clap-pullups with light weight, or regular pullup with heavy weight. Both would work the CNS. Both would recruit HTMU’s. Both have their place.

If… doing pullups is your gig.[/quote]

Or it was made sarcastically…

Clap bicep curls and clap front squats is a retarded idea. Clapping your hands is not an effective way to build muscle, the ability to do it is simply a result of a certain amount of strength and quickness.

I have been wondering about how effective a me/de pull ups would be for increasing a max weighted pull up.

I’ve been doing heavy weighted pull ups, but haven’t really experimented with doing them explosively yet, apart from maybe a couple reps in warm up set.

I think I’m going to start alternating between heavy weighted pull ups and explosive bw pull ups to see what happens.

[Edit: Old Post but Chins w/ a Band for Dynamic Effort →

http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=466976&pageNo=0#bottom

}

its not about clapping but more about pulling so explosively as to have time to clap in mid air. thats what makes this excersice so good.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6529481301858251744&hl=en

I think it’s impressive. I can’t do them, but I will one day.

“Clap-back-squat… would be failure though.”

Don’t knock it until you try it. They are awesome.

More importantly, that video is horrendous:

1. His elbows flex to 90 degrees at most. He does not even utilize the stretch reflect in his teres group/infraspinatus/lats to get the full motor recruitment effect. You cannot even call this a chin-up because his chin never breaks the plane of the bar. If I saw this at my gym, he would receive a 30 lb dumbbell to the nuts.

2. He swings like a moron. Form sucks.

3. He does not even complete a pullup.

Do pullups correctly. When you can do 12-15 perfect form bodyweight ones, use a drop belt. Please explain to me why failing to complete a single, poor form pullup would be beneficial. Not to mention the risk of dislocating your shoulder is increased many fold.

If you care about explosive power, why not just pull up ‘explosively’ and touch your neck/chest to the bar and drop down fast. Repeat.

I used to do alternating pullups/chinups. I’d pull myself up explosively from a pronated hand position then switch to a supinated hand position. I’ll still say, while it was fun, it’s not really a superior exercise.

One of things I find myself drawn to recently is doing an explosive chin-up then quickly rotating the hands and “catching” the bar so I’m doing a pull up.

This approach has a lot of benefits.

1. Its the “fast eccentric method” which is superior at building fast twitch muscle fibres.

2. It’s good for explosive power, and you can’t say that about many pulling movements.

3. There is no deceleration phase (as there is in the method you describe njrusmc)

Furthermore, it is absolutely useless for building muscle.

Yes, clapping chin-ups are amazing for back development. Rumor has it, that’s how Ronnie Coleman built up his back.

[quote]eeu743 wrote:
mr popular wrote:

Just think…clap squats…clap bicep curls…obviously clapping your hands together will make you even bigger.[/quote]

Hhahahhahaha, this shit is toooo funny!

He’s not even going full with the chins …if he were then I guess they would be cool.

[quote]echelon101 wrote:
He’s not even going full with the chins …if he were then I guess they would be cool.[/quote]

Yah, it’s pretty worthless imo. He’d be better off on those rings, the stupid lad.

Wow. I posted the wrong damn video link.

http://www.marunde-muscle.com/videos/407x20.mpg

Tell HIM there useless as an exercise.

[quote]eeu743 wrote:
mr popular wrote:

Just think…clap squats…clap bicep curls…obviously clapping your hands together will make you even bigger.[/quote]

So it’s the clapping and not the actual weight that causes an increase in strength. Now I understand. Can’t you just hear the applause.

TNT

[quote]JayPierce wrote:
Wow. I posted the wrong damn video link.

http://www.marunde-muscle.com/videos/407x20.mpg

Tell HIM there useless as an exercise.[/quote]

Here is a better link that does not require you to dl the entire video:

at about 40 seconds in he does a couple clapping pull-ups, not chin-ups. Difference? I’m really not sure. I would really doubt he is even clapping. Sure his hands are touching in a clapping motion, but he clearly isn’t clapping.

Yes, Jesse is strong. However I really don’t think that clapping pull-ups helped him achieve his back strength. It seems like a parlor trick, much like a clapping push-up.

It’s real good for if you happen to be walking down the street and theres an earthquake and you fall in the crack. You can catch yourself real quick and pull yourself up