T Nation

Clambake Without Seaweed

This will probably sound retarded, but I have to ask. Does anyone know a good substitute for seaweed when trying to pull off a New England Clambake? The beach, the rocks, the hole in the sand, and everything else are covered. Should I just buy a shitload of spinach or lettuce, maybe? Any ideas? Thanks.

I don’t know if it would be the same. The saltiness of the seawood probably makes a difference. Maybe something heavier then spinach. Cabbage leaves perhaps or bananna leaves.

Thanks for the suggestion. I hadn’t thought about banana leaves as an option.

What about corn husks soaked in water? Then you can have corn on the cob with your clams.

[quote]hedo wrote:
I don’t know if it would be the same. The saltiness of the seawood probably makes a difference. Maybe something heavier then spinach. Cabbage leaves perhaps or bananna leaves.[/quote]

As far as I’m concerned, there is no substitute for seaweed. Maybe it’s the combination of minerals, but it adds so much to the taste of boiled food that it shouldn’t be substituted. Last April I camped on the beach in Homer Alaska. I did a bake with king crab, corn, and sweet potatoes. I used a combination of beer, sea water and seaweed from the beach for the steam. Nothing like it.

You can buy dried kelp (and other seaweed) online:

http://seaveg.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15&products_id=37&zenid=9759325699b6e456c738ab5cc90e09ef

Soak the dried seaweed before you use it. Reserve the soaking water for steaming.

[quote]Loose Tool wrote:
hedo wrote:
I don’t know if it would be the same. The saltiness of the seawood probably makes a difference. Maybe something heavier then spinach. Cabbage leaves perhaps or bananna leaves.

As far as I’m concerned, there is no substitute for seaweed. Maybe it’s the combination of minerals, but it adds so much to the taste of boiled food that it shouldn’t be substituted. Last April I camped on the beach in Homer Alaska. I did a bake with king crab, corn, and sweet potatoes. I used a combination of beer, sea water and seaweed from the beach for the steam. Nothing like it.

You can buy dried kelp (and other seaweed) online:

http://seaveg.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15&products_id=37&zenid=9759325699b6e456c738ab5cc90e09ef

Soak the dried seaweed before you use it. Reserve the soaking water for steaming.[/quote]

I hear you.

The close proximity of the Ocean also makes everything taste better. Just my opinion but you know it’s true:)