CKD Transformation - the Journey Begins!

Also - started taking creatine mono today 5g before and after workout and 10g BCAA before and after. This according to Lyle McDonald should keep strength and recovery high plus the BCAAs will provide additional help in maintaining muscle mass while in keto.

Ok its only day 2 but the diet is easy, have spoken to supplement guys, natural bb’ers and my clients and all are envious of the diet and are waiting to see my results. I have NO cravings for carbs at all which is unheard of for me.

Possible going to do a 10day stint on no carbs as recommended by C Thibs and Mauro Pasquale in Anabolic Diet but will decide at weekend.

Does anyone have any recommendations for 0 carb workout energy drinks? NO Shotgun?

[quote]CrossTraining wrote:
Also - started taking creatine mono today 5g before and after workout and 10g BCAA before and after. This according to Lyle McDonald should keep strength and recovery high plus the BCAAs will provide additional help in maintaining muscle mass while in keto.

Ok its only day 2 but the diet is easy, have spoken to supplement guys, natural bb’ers and my clients and all are envious of the diet and are waiting to see my results. I have NO cravings for carbs at all which is unheard of for me.

Possible going to do a 10day stint on no carbs as recommended by C Thibs and Mauro Pasquale in Anabolic Diet but will decide at weekend.

Does anyone have any recommendations for 0 carb workout energy drinks? NO Shotgun?

[/quote]

Redline

Spike.

[quote]LiquidMercury wrote:
Spike. [/quote]

THIS.

Jason

Couldn’t wait for this morning to check Ketostix out, so last night before bed and excellent stuff - body is in Ketosis! Feels good!

Cardio day - sucks - hate long steady state cardio, but will do it nonetheless.

Looking forward to sirloin steak snack at 10am!

Will check out Spike and re-read The Keto Diet book to see if there is any additional information that I missed on workout drinks.

Carbs - 10g per day x 4 = 40 cal/day
Protein - 198g per day x 4 = 792 cal/day
Fat - 220g per day x 9 = 1984 cal/day

This will be my macro make up for Sun-Fri morning.

My weekly carb up will begin 5hrs before my Friday afternoon workout and last until midnight
[/quote]

Just a question, how the hell can you limit yourself to 10g carbs per day? What foods (veggies) will you be able to eat, most veg I’ve looked at have at least 2g carbs per 100g.
Best of luck though!

[quote]Boffin wrote:

Carbs - 10g per day x 4 = 40 cal/day
Protein - 198g per day x 4 = 792 cal/day
Fat - 220g per day x 9 = 1984 cal/day

This will be my macro make up for Sun-Fri morning.

My weekly carb up will begin 5hrs before my Friday afternoon workout and last until midnight
[/quote]

Just a question, how the hell can you limit yourself to 10g carbs per day? What foods (veggies) will you be able to eat, most veg I’ve looked at have at least 2g carbs per 100g.
Best of luck though![/quote]

I also wondered this at the start but I wasn;t too worried as not a big veg fan. For instance though last night I had about 200g lettuce, 100g cucumber, 100g sweet green pepper.

Lettuce - 6.5 g carb of which only 2g are sugar, the rest is fiber and doesn’t get used.
Cucumber - 3.5g carb of which only 1.5 are sugar.
Pepper - 4.64g carb of which only 2.4 sugar.

All the rest is either fibre or a mix of fibre and protein, negligible amounts but essentially not going over 10g carbs per day. Even if I used the whole figures still very small amount of carbs anyway.

Add this with some proper vits, fish oils, and fibre supps and I’m good to go.

From what I understand the further you go into the diet you can gradually increase your carb intake up to about 50g a day but they recommend for the first 1-2 weeks staying low.

[quote]Boffin wrote:

Best of luck though![/quote]

It’s truly not that hard. I literally went 3 months zero carb (ate meat only for the most part). That being said a lot of nutritionists do not count the carbs in green veggies since they are almost all fiber and since they have almost no impact on blood sugar levels. Many diets are geared around staying this low such as the Anabolic Diet by di-pasquale (30g/day) and RFD by Lyle McDonald.

Also add spinach, broccoli and asparagus if you can. Those are probably the best 3 veggies you can have from a nutritional standpoint.

Day 3

Still going strong, despite a couple of poor nights sleep although that is to do with the humidity and not the diet.
I’m keeping my food choices the same mainly for ease of cooking, and structure in my work schedule.

I haven’t had any problems adapting at all and my business partner is so envious of my new food that he is jumping on a cross between TKD and Paleo.

I have a wedding to go to this weekend which is great timing for the carb up but at the same time I’m also considering doing a 14 day initial stint in keto and missing the first re-feed.

Has anyone done this? how did it go? were results better?

A lot of people say to go 2 weeks before you carb back up so your body can actually adapt to working properly while ketogenic. Once you’ve adapted to being ketogeneic then you go to weekly refeeds/carb-ups.

Day 4

Again going well, I am tired at the moment but that’s more of a case of patchy sleep rather than the diet. Anyone wanting to start a gym up or any business take note - sleep gets patchy!

Despite the above energy levels are constant, satiety factor is brilliant, only getting hungry when it’s time to eat.
Cardio the last 2 days was fine, did abs as well with cardio today.

I have pretty much decided to do a 24hr carb up keeping it as clean as possible, reading The Keto Diet again there is some good evidence on 24hr carb up working well as long as training the following week is reduced slightly. Plus the body should stay using fat for energy in the first 24hrs as well.

Already getting comments about looking like I’ve lost weight as well which is added motivation!

I’m not sure which book you’re reading but generally you don’t reduce your training after a carb-up. Carb-ups allow you to train harder and provide higher internal anabolic levels. If you’re trying to really cut I’d limit your carb-up to maybe 4-5 hours. As said I personally wouldn’t carb up for 12-14 days.

I’m not sure which book you’re reading but generally you don’t reduce your training after a carb-up. Carb-ups allow you to train harder and provide higher internal anabolic levels. If you’re trying to really cut I’d limit your carb-up to maybe 4-5 hours. As said I personally wouldn’t carb up for 12-14 days.[/quote]

Thanks LiquidM - I’m reading Lyle McDonald’s “The Ketogenic Diet” if basically says that reducing carb feed up to 24hrs rather than 36hrs will keep the body burning fat throughout but because the body hasn’t reached super compensation the number of sets per body part for the following weeks training may need to be reduced.

The main reason for the carb up is a function I am going to on Friday after my last workout, followed by a wedding later on and then the wedding reception. Food won’t be conducive to the diet and I can’t really take my own food into the church and wedding reception :slight_smile:

I also have a 10km walk for charity sunday morning which will help to get me back into ketosis quicker than normal.

If you’ve read other stuff by Lyle he often encourages people to limit the carb-up even more if fat loss is stalling. Just saying you don’t need a full 24 hour carb-up. As you become more and more ketogenic adapted and leaner you’ll most likely feel better with a lower carb-up time.

Also, as said prior, your workouts generally are going to be better and you’ll be able to train harder after a carb-up so there’s no reason to “take it easy”. If anything go after PR’s.

Keep it up man!

I love detailed logs like this, so keep going, people are reading…

I would definitely op for the 24hr carb up, simply because of the nuisance it will be trying to eat diet friendly at the wedding. Just make sure that the next day you are spot on and workout hard and I doubt it will hinder progress too much.

Plus, who can say no to a open bar?

If you’ve read other stuff by Lyle he often encourages people to limit the carb-up even more if fat loss is stalling. Just saying you don’t need a full 24 hour carb-up. As you become more and more ketogenic adapted and leaner you’ll most likely feel better with a lower carb-up time.

Also, as said prior, your workouts generally are going to be better and you’ll be able to train harder after a carb-up so there’s no reason to “take it easy”. If anything go after PR’s.[/quote]

To be fair I haven’t, I keep re-reading and going through The Ketogenic Diet book of his and also have started going through his stuff in his forums, hell of a lot to go through.

Ok cool - I’ll take your advice, will eat as per the diet as best I can on Friday, if I have to stray a bit at the wedding so be it but next meal will be straight back on again. Lets give it a full 14 days on keto.

[quote]napalmit wrote:
Keep it up man!

I love detailed logs like this, so keep going, people are reading…

I would definitely op for the 24hr carb up, simply because of the nuisance it will be trying to eat diet friendly at the wedding. Just make sure that the next day you are spot on and workout hard and I doubt it will hinder progress too much.

Plus, who can say no to a open bar?[/quote]

Cheers Napalmit - I will do my best during the wedding. As for open bar, apparently once in ketosis adding alcohol puts you deeper into ketosis and the likely hood is you’ll be drunk like a skunk on 1 vodka!

When doing this type of diet are green veggies always counted? You mentioned CT, I know he doesn’t count those.

[quote]EvanX wrote:
When doing this type of diet are green veggies always counted? You mentioned CT, I know he doesn’t count those.[/quote]

This is an exert from “The Ketogenic Diet” -

""While the amount of insulin released from the ingestion of dietary carbohydrates
is related to their quality (GI), it is also related somewhat to the quantity of carbs ingested.
Ingestion of 30 grams of broccoli will cause a greater insulin release than the ingestion of 10
grams of broccoli although the GI is identical.

One approach is to spread carbohydrate intake throughout the day in small amounts.
While this may minimize insulin response, it should be noted that 5-6 grams of carbohydrate per
meal is not much carbohydrate. Some individuals may wish to have all of their daily
carbohydrate at one main meal, such as a large salad with dinner or lunch. Although this will
cause a slightly greater insulin release than spreading out the same amount of carbohydrate
throughout the day, the low GI of vegetables coupled with the digestion slowing effect of protein,
fat and fiber should prevent an excessive insulin response. Even if a large enough insulin
response occurred to disrupt ketosis, it should be transient and ketosis should resume soon
thereafter.“”

So strictly speaking yes is the answer to the question based on the above, but as Lyle McDonald, CT and LiquidM mentioned earlier in the thread - most green veggies are nearly all fiber so there effect on insulin response is virtually non-existent and you can eat them freely.