Civilian Jobs Marines Do After Service?

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]Wooster wrote:
Or drift around until they get roughed up and driven out of town by small town police, are chased into the woods and turn the tables on their pursuers using skills they learnt in the Marines. Usually after a few explosions and awesome acts of revenge they arrive home and become a carpenter or something because they like working with their hands.
Shit, sorry you didn’t want to hear about carpentry.
[/quote]

John Rambo wasn’t a Marine. He was Army[/quote]

At least some of us pay attention… LOL

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]inkaddict wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]Wooster wrote:
Or drift around until they get roughed up and driven out of town by small town police, are chased into the woods and turn the tables on their pursuers using skills they learnt in the Marines. Usually after a few explosions and awesome acts of revenge they arrive home and become a carpenter or something because they like working with their hands.
[/quote]

Thanks dude, I wasn’t sure how to handle that.

They drew first blood, not me![/quote]

No problem… The truth must be known!
[/quote]

Lol, I was thinking more along the lines of Frank Reynolds. It may have happened to Rambo, but it happened to Frank too.

Frank Reynolds: I went on a manhunt once. I just got back from Nam. I was hitchhiking through Oregon. Next thing I know there’s a bunch of cops chasing after me through the woods! I had to take them all out, it was a bloodbath!

[quote]Wooster wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]inkaddict wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]Wooster wrote:
[/quote]

[/quote]

Lol, I was thinking more along the lines of Frank Reynolds. It may have happened to Rambo, but it happened to Frank too.

Frank Reynolds: I went on a manhunt once. I just got back from Nam. I was hitchhiking through Oregon. Next thing I know there’s a bunch of cops chasing after me through the woods! I had to take them all out, it was a bloodbath!
[/quote]

You mean this Frank Reynolds? I love “Its Always Sunny In Philadelphia”

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]Wooster wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]inkaddict wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]Wooster wrote:
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You mean this Frank Reynolds? I love “Its Always Sunny In Philadelphia” [/quote]

Haha, yeah. I was actually just covering for myself, I did think Rambo was a marine. I know better now. I love the show too, it’s one of the few tv shows that make me laugh out loud. It would be cool if they remade Rambo like they did lethal weapon, but with Frank playing the lead role.

[quote]Wooster wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]Wooster wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]inkaddict wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]Wooster wrote:
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You mean this Frank Reynolds? I love “Its Always Sunny In Philadelphia” [/quote]

Haha, yeah. I was actually just covering for myself, I did think Rambo was a marine. I know better now. I love the show too, it’s one of the few tv shows that make me laugh out loud. It would be cool if they remade Rambo like they did lethal weapon, but with Frank playing the lead role.
[/quote]

amazing idea!

Probably depends on your buddy’s MOS.

I was Marine Infantry/Security

Right after I got out, I worked night shift as a Campus Rent-a-Cop. Plenty of former military grunts in that line of work. I ended up as an attorney. One of the attorneys I clerked for in law school did the same thing. He was in an intel MOS.

Marine buddies that had actual skills, e.g. aircraft mechanics or Motor-T guys went into the civvie equivalent of those jobs, fixing planes or trucks.

Short answer “it depends”

[quote]Colin Wilson wrote:
Civil service, Vets get a preference over straight civilians. Tell your friend to go to his local VA office and talk to a Rep. Check out state websites where they post job offerings and requirements. [/quote]
that sounds good but reality sucks. if they hire a vet you’ll leap over all the non-vets for seniority due to veterans preference with 5pts or 10pts for disabled. that means during a RIF(reduction in force) all non vets are let go first. sounds good but do you think that most people will hire someone that will bump their buddies?

I’d like to chime in with going to the VA as his first step. Wether he wants to work, go to school, or try to sit on his ass collecting disability, that should be his first stop.

I’ll be out of the AF soon, and I’m going to go to school for my BS in Accounting (thanks Counting Beans). If that doesn’t work out I’m leaning pretty heavily towards overseas contractor. They make BANK, and have some decent benefits too, from what I understand.

Just so I understand, your friend did a tour in the USMC, ETS’d and had no plan or anything lined up?

Yay for the USAF and thinking ahead!

First up - thanks everyone for all the help, suggestions, input and laughs. I intend to make sure he’s never hitchhiking through the woods.

I realise I should have mentioned a few more things:

• he’s no longer living in the US. I forget this site is US-based. Makes the VA less applicable.
  • he’s got to sort out papers and stuff.

I was asking for generic suggestions, so when he has papers and asks me for job ideas, I have a few directions to give. He is studying business admin.

His MOS, if I understand the term correctly, was clerical work. He doesn’t cite it as one of his top 10 inspirations in life but seemed good at his job.

A few of the posts talked about security, I don’t see him going for that. A few more talked about coaching and managerial positions - they’re all good and will be brought up over beers.

Thanks again.

OH he was an admin guy, well then he could easiy get a job running a paper shredder or sharpening pencils and being the butt of everyone else’s jokes!

I kid, everyone needs admin, that’s how we got paid.

MSG as well, in some shitty locations. Does that offset the admin? :slight_smile:

[quote]flynniec6 wrote:
MSG as well, in some shitty locations. Does that offset the admin? :)[/quote]
Definitely does, and also leads me to believe “security” of some sort wouldn’t be hard for him to get into

Blackwater

What he did in the marines in the civi world, (we dont just all do pushups and dig foxholes)

more pay, better haircuts, and real women