Civil War

[quote]AmericanGirl wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
Who gives a shit. We are where we are. Stop looking back.

[/quote]

Oh wow, what a brilliant theory, sir.

Yeah, screw history. Let’s put on our blinders and be ignorant to the reasons why we are where we are today. We can’t change the past, so why even care? Why bother to speculate how our nation could have changed? Why appreciate the present even more due to what happened in the past?

Your analysis should be published so it can be brought to the attention of history scholars who have spent years and years wasting their time studying history. Bravo. They will finally see the light.

Seriously. If you’re going to make an imbecilic comment using the logic of a 3rd grader, don’t participate in the thread.

People study the past and visualize different outcomes, which gives them practice for when they have to plan for the future. Yeesh.[/quote]

You have a lot to learn about this place if you expect most of the posters to use logic more sophisticated than that of a 3rd grader…

I should know, I almost passed 4th grade logic.

BC, You are indeed correct that I didn’t look anything up. I was basing my response on assumption and selective knowledge, so I’m glad to be informed.

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:

I think you need to learn the thoughts of the North and the South. It was not the idea of two different countries, people had more pride in their individual states than in a big country. So, I think you mean to say that there would be a Union and a Confederacy. The South did not suppose to put law on the Yanks, even though the Yanks would have liked to put law on the Rebels.

[/quote].

I’m sure a lot of my perceptions of the south are completely skewed, so what you wrote here is interesting. My knowledge of US history is downright sad.

[quote]Petermus wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[/quote]

I personally could care less if you are from the North or the South. I am annoyed by idiots who still think its 1865…its over and no one cares what ur fuckin hill billy inbred family thinks. [/quote]

Not sure if you’re siding or riding me here, Pete.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[/quote]

Yeah, screw history. Let’s put on our blinders and be ignorant to the reasons why we are where we are today. We can’t change the past, so why even care? Why bother to speculate how our nation could have changed? Why appreciate the present even more due to what happened in the past?

Your analysis should be published so it can be brought to the attention of history scholars who have spent years and years wasting their time studying history. Bravo. They will finally see the light.

Seriously. If you’re going to make an imbecilic comment using the logic of a 3rd grader, don’t participate in the thread.

People study the past and visualize different outcomes, which gives them practice for when they have to plan for the future. Yeesh.[/quote]

whoa belt-fed…

I think he’s just as tired as I am to hear people having the same arguments over and over again. It’s sad that 150 years after the civil war, educated people are having the same arguments that their great-great-grandfathers were having.

[quote]spyoptic wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[/quote]

whoa belt-fed…

I think he’s just as tired as I am to hear people having the same arguments over and over again. It’s sad that 150 years after the civil war, educated people are having the same arguments that their great-great-grandfathers were having. [/quote]

Hit the nail on the head, Spy!

I find those who engage in these types of discussions are usually dissatisfied with the way things are, so they run scenarios of how things might be if the past had a different outcome. Of course we can’t change the past, but to learn from it and draw from its conclusions to build a better future is a far better way to spend one’s time thinking.

Onward and upward!

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:

If the North was better, how come the South made more per capita income than the Yanks?[/quote]

they didn’t count all of their “capita”. only 5/3 of it… :wink: LOL

If you go to the Civil War museum on the river in Richmond VA, there are panels with this very question, along with post-its and pens so people can write their answers…

Stupid shit like

“I wouldn’t have to mow my own lawn”
“We wouldn’t have overcrowding in the prisons”

and

“My kid would start at rb on his football team…”
“I’m sad the south lost but God chose the winner and the winner wasn’t us.”

State Pride still exists, you might have to dig a little deeper, but it definitely exists. Why do you think Rivalries like OU/UT and U of M/OSU are so strong? I was at a wedding in VA last September and when the father of the bride made his speech he didn’t say “Today I’m a proud Father” he said “Today I’m a proud Virginian.” Same sort of stuff goes on all over the country, Texas is another big one.

We aren’t as far removed from the things that split this nation 150 years ago as we might think. That’s why analitically it’s easy to see the opinions vary.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]spyoptic wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[/quote]

whoa belt-fed…

I think he’s just as tired as I am to hear people having the same arguments over and over again. It’s sad that 150 years after the civil war, educated people are having the same arguments that their great-great-grandfathers were having. [/quote]

I find those who engage in these types of discussions are usually dissatisfied with the way things are, so they run scenarios of how things might be if the past had a different outcome. Of course we can’t change the past, but to learn from it and draw from its conclusions to build a better future is a far better way to spend one’s time thinking.

Onward and upward![/quote]

Actually, I’m not dissatisfied. In fact, I say earlier that I’m glad the Civil War turned out the way it did. However, since I’m a history student, I get upset when people don’t want to consider other turn-outs or say things like “It’s over. Who cares.” I think considering those different outcomes helps us to appreciate the present even more. I don’t think that’s wasting time. It was an interesting question to consider.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]spyoptic wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[/quote]

whoa belt-fed…

Actually, I’m not dissatisfied. In fact, I say earlier that I’m glad the Civil War turned out the way it did. However, since I’m a history student, I get upset when people don’t want to consider other turn-outs or say things like “It’s over. Who cares.” I think considering those different outcomes helps us to appreciate the present even more. I don’t think that’s wasting time. It was an interesting question to consider.

[/quote]

You get “upset” when people don’t find the same topics interesting that you do? You must get upset a lot.

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]spyoptic wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[/quote]

whoa belt-fed…

[/quote]

You get “upset” when people don’t find the same topics interesting that you do? You must get upset a lot.
[/quote]

You know, it’s amazing how even when my words are in text, they can still be stretched.

I get upset when people jump into a conversation, bash the topic, and then offer no insight. I could care less if people are interested or not. But to randomly post on a topic you clearly didn’t have to post on because you think we shouldn’t “give a shit,” is lame. The question posed was innocent–he was asking for us to consider what today would be like if the outcome of the Civil War was different, regardless of whether the exercise is a waste. I already said speculation helps us appreciate the present. Oh, and excuse me for defending my field when someone says “Stop looking back.”

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]spyoptic wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[/quote]

whoa belt-fed…

[/quote]

[/quote]

You know, it’s amazing how even when my words are in text, they can still be stretched.

I get upset when people jump into a conversation, bash the topic, and then offer no insight. I could care less if people are interested or not. But to randomly post on a topic you clearly didn’t have to post on because you think we shouldn’t “give a shit,” is lame. The question posed was innocent–he was asking for us to consider what today would be like if the outcome of the Civil War was different, regardless of whether the exercise is a waste. I already said speculation helps us appreciate the present. Oh, and excuse me for defending my field when someone says “Stop looking back.” [/quote]

I didn’t stretch, twist, or misapply what you said. You said it again.

This is an open forum, anyone can post anything they want. Your response is similar to protesters who get pissy when someone protests against them or the other side of the argument.

Detractors can also be party to a discussion.

He wasn’t personally attacking you or your field. Chill out a bit girlie before your head explodes.

I like History so don’t flip out on me. Instead of a what-if though, do you think the Confederate flag is a symbol of racism or southern pride?

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]spyoptic wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[/quote]

whoa belt-fed…

[/quote]

[/quote]

I get upset when people jump into a conversation, bash the topic, and then offer no insight. I could care less if people are interested or not. But to randomly post on a topic you clearly didn’t have to post on because you think we shouldn’t “give a shit,” is lame. The question posed was innocent–he was asking for us to consider what today would be like if the outcome of the Civil War was different, regardless of whether the exercise is a waste. I already said speculation helps us appreciate the present. Oh, and excuse me for defending my field when someone says “Stop looking back.” [/quote]

I didn’t stretch, twist, or misapply what you said. You said it again.

This is an open forum, anyone can post anything they want. Your response is similar to protesters who get pissy when someone protests against them or the other side of the argument.

Detractors can also be party to a discussion.

He wasn’t personally attacking you or your field. Chill out a bit girlie before your head explodes.

I like History so don’t flip out on me. Instead of a what-if though, do you think the Confederate flag is a symbol of racism or southern pride?
[/quote]

I don’t disregard that this is an open forum. The fact is that he didn’t have to post. Yeah, if he would have offered an argument, I would have gladly engaged in a nice debate. However, he just jumped on the thread, bashed the topic, and then left. It’s like if you’re at the gym and someone comes up to you and says “Don’t lift. Lifting is stupid.” and then leaves. He didn’t have to go on the thread and bash the topic. It’s just a lame move. That’s all the more I’ll say about it.

I’m glad you like history, OG. I think the Confederate flag is ultimately a symbol of Southern pride. Although the Civil War began as a war over slave expansion and the reason why the South seceded was because they knew Lincoln would not let it expand, the meaning of the flag developed into pride for Southern life. Sure, it was patriarchal (not necessarily a bad thing), embraced laizze-faire government (definitely not a bad thing), and a regard for the simple life as opposed to the city (neither good nor bad), but nevertheless, a symbol. Today, I think people still use the flag as a symbol of states’ rights and rightly so because the South was for states’ rights post-Jackson and that argument resurfaced during the war. I really don’t think it’s a symbol of racism. If anything, both North and South talked about slavery in a racist manner. Also, the South was trying to keep its economy together. Honestly, they were sort of brainwashed into thinking cotton was king and slavery’s expansion was the only way to keep it alive…