Civil War Photos

Thought this was really cool and worth sharing.

Interesting pictures, thanks for sharing.

awesome. thanks

Great find, thanks.

Old.

Interesting

How sharp some of those photographs are considering the cameras they had is amazing. Yeah, it would be interesting to see color photos (if possible), but the B&W offers a contrast that color cannot touch.

Really cool- thanks for hanging that.

I was pretty amazed at how clear a lot of those were. I thought this one was very unique considering what was actually happening.

Very nice. I’m diggin the pics and info. Thanks for sharing.

Great find man.

[quote]DirtyM wrote:
How sharp some of those photographs are considering the cameras they had is amazing. Yeah, it would be interesting to see color photos (if possible), but the B&W offers a contrast that color cannot touch.

Really cool- thanks for hanging that. [/quote]

I didn’t want to start a new thread, but check these out, they’re photos of Russia about a century ago, the photography used a trick that I wish everyone had known about back then to colorize his images.

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/08/russia_in_color_a_century_ago.html

And to the civil war pics, OMG at the stacked cannonballs for picture 13.

Picture 20 is crazy to me also, you have an execution going on in the confederate war camp in the front, and the completed Capitol Building in the back, it’s hard for me to comprehend that we built that insane structure that long ago, considering the dome itself weighs approx 9 MILLION pounds. 50 years before it’s completion we we’re fighting the british in the War of 1812 and the white house and part of that building was burnt down, and then 31-36 years before that we were neck deep in the revolutionary war.

And over 2,000 years before that the Parthenon was completed in Rome…Epic architecture is epic.

lol Well put. Those Russian pictures are incredible.

Great find, OP. How I wish there were still a Balloon Corps…

[quote]Tyrant wrote:
I didn’t want to start a new thread, but check these out, they’re photos of Russia about a century ago, the photography used a trick that I wish everyone had known about back then to colorize his images.

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/08/russia_in_color_a_century_ago.html

And to the civil war pics, OMG at the stacked cannonballs for picture 13.

Picture 20 is crazy to me also, you have an execution going on in the confederate war camp in the front, and the completed Capitol Building in the back, it’s hard for me to comprehend that we built that insane structure that long ago, considering the dome itself weighs approx 9 MILLION pounds. 50 years before it’s completion we we’re fighting the british in the War of 1812 and the white house and part of that building was burnt down, and then 31-36 years before that we were neck deep in the revolutionary war.

And over 2,000 years before that the Parthenon was completed in Rome…Epic architecture is epic.[/quote]

Damn, that’s pretty incredible. Hard to wrap my brain around it.

Cool stuff. Being from that area, I’ve walked many of the battlefields in those photos. Once you get out of the “northern Virginia” area and get a little further south or west, the people there take “the war of Northern aggression” very seriously to this day.

Fantastic images’ the detail is just amazing!

It’s the peoples faces that get me most…

Is it me or does the way they seem to carry themselves seem extremely different to people these days?

[quote]pgtips wrote:
Is it me or does the way they seem to carry themselves seem extremely different to people these days?[/quote]

Well that could be that not everyone is over 300 pounds.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]pgtips wrote:
Is it me or does the way they seem to carry themselves seem extremely different to people these days?[/quote]

Well that could be that not everyone is over 300 pounds.[/quote]

No, I don’t mean weight wise, even the chubbier people in those pictures look different than people these days.

They look extremely “straight” even compared to people with good posture these days.

Just subtly different. Do you see it?

[quote]pgtips wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]pgtips wrote:

Well that could be that not everyone is over 300 pounds.[/quote]

No, I don’t mean weight wise, even the chubbier people in those pictures look different than people these days.

They look extremely “straight” even compared to people with good posture these days.

Just subtly different. Do you see it?[/quote]

Yes but again the “chubbier” people have a more adipose tissue spread all over the body. Nobody had intraabdominal fat like they do today, plus these people did more physical labor. Most if not all grew up on a farm and barely if ever sat down, plus add in riding a horse for mode of transportation it makes perfect sense.