Civic Literacy Quiz

[quote]florelius wrote:
WOW just WOW, hope she doesnt becomes a college educator!

On a serious note I have a hard time believing that the average for people who teach at
college is as low as 55%. I thought people that teaches at such places had atleast a masters degree. [/quote]

I can easily believe that the academics aren’t that far ahead. I have a harder time believing that everybody, in general, is doing so poor on average.

Education isn’t the same thing as intelligence. I’m of the opinion that almost anyone that has a good memory and is willing to work hard has what it takes to achieve higher education if they try.

Also, there are huge variations in the quality of post-secondary institutions, and there are a lot more schools on the really crappy end than the really good one. Not to mention the fact that for every history prof who aces the test, there’s probably also a crazy (and probably high) philosophy prof, and a bunch of other liberal arts and science profs who don’t. Just because you have a Master’s or PhD doesn’t mean you have a well-rounded education.

[quote]Apoklyps wrote:
Not to mention the fact that for every history prof who aces the test, there’s probably also a crazy (and probably high) philosophy prof, and a bunch of other liberal arts and science profs who don’t. Just because you have a Master’s or PhD doesn’t mean you have a well-rounded education.[/quote]

Yep, theater and fine art professors would count as academics in a demographic breakdown, but the fine arts requirements I had as an undergrad were taught by people who very possibly could have missed almost every question on that test.

[quote]doogie wrote:
I missed the Puritans question.[/quote]

It was a misleading question. I got it right only by elimination.

The Puritans were hardly the religious nuts depicted in the Scarlet Letter and publik skoul history books.

I got 32/33. Missed :

What impact did the Anti-Federalists have on the United States Constitution?
Your Answer: their influence ensured that the federal government would maintain a standing army
Correct Answer: their arguments helped lead to the adoption of the Bill of Rights

Still not sure I am wrong.

++++++

I am not surprised how badly college teachers did; strongly doubt they got a single one of the economic questions correct.

Socrates & The Puritians got me.

[quote]thethirdruffian wrote:
I got 32/33. Missed :

What impact did the Anti-Federalists have on the United States Constitution?
Your Answer: their influence ensured that the federal government would maintain a standing army
Correct Answer: their arguments helped lead to the adoption of the Bill of Rights

Still not sure I am wrong.

[/quote]

From what I understand, and I may be wrong, is both Federalist and Anti-Federalists opposed a standing army, in a general sense.

But all in all, it would be the Federalists, the Hamiltonians that would want the Standing Army if anyone.

You answered 32 out of 33 correctly ? 96.97 %

If you have any comments or questions about the quiz, please email americancivicliteracy@isi.org.

You can consult the following table to see how citizens and elected officials scored on each question.

If taxes equal government spending, then:
Your Answer: government debt is zero
Correct Answer: tax per person equals government spending per person on average

I eliminated obvious wrong answers then guessed on the Socrates/Plato/Aquinas question, using my (partial and rusty) knowledge of each of them–that was a 50/50 shot for me. I was sloppy on reading the answers on the taxes question or I would have got that right too. Irritates me that I cost myself that question.

You answered 31 out of 33 correctly ? 93.94 %

If you have any comments or questions about the quiz, please email americancivicliteracy@isi.org.

You can consult the following table to see how citizens and elected officials scored on each question.

Incorrect Answers
Question: What impact did the Anti-Federalists have on the United States Constitution?
Your Answer: their influence ensured that the federal government would have the power to tax

I’m an idiot for that one ^

Question: In 1935 and 1936 the Supreme Court declared that important parts of the New Deal were unconstitutional. President Roosevelt responded by threatening to:
Your Answer: override the Supreme Court?s decisions by gaining three-quarter majorities in both houses of Congress
Correct Answer: appoint additional Supreme Court justices who shared his views

And wow, that is ridiculous…

[quote]florelius wrote:
I got 28 correct out of 33 possible.

As an non-American I feel okay with that.[/quote]

You, my fellow Scandinavian, did better than me… 27 out of 33 here

32/33…missed Seperation of Church and State in Jefferson’s letter.

[quote]pittbulll wrote:

[quote]florelius wrote:

[quote]Apoklyps wrote:
26/33. Oh the shame… It would be there if I was an American lol.

Honestly, the average being 49% (and 55% for college educators) scares the living shit out of me. She must make up 25% of their sample size or something…

[/quote]

On a serious note I have a hard time believing that the average for people who teach at
college is as low as 55%. I thought people that teaches at such places had atleast a masters degree. [/quote]

[/quote]

What the fucking fuck was that? And 1/5th of Americans can’t locate the USA on a map? Who hires these people? We do we need that many people to hose out porta-johns?

That woman, I predict, is either now a whore or working at a Jimmy John’s.

I got 27 right. Two I just missed, one I wasn’t concentrating on and the rest I was trying to figure the answer I thought they wanted.

28 out of 33.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

[quote]pittbulll wrote:

[quote]florelius wrote:

[quote]Apoklyps wrote:
26/33. Oh the shame… It would be there if I was an American lol.

Honestly, the average being 49% (and 55% for college educators) scares the living shit out of me. She must make up 25% of their sample size or something…

[/quote]

[/quote]

What the fucking fuck was that? And 1/5th of Americans can’t locate the USA on a map? Who hires these people? We do we need that many people to hose out porta-johns?

That woman, I predict, is either now a whore or working at a Jimmy John’s.
[/quote]

We need people working at Jimmy John’s! Their subs are delicious!

You answered 30 out of 33 correctly â?? 90.91 %

Incorrect Answers
Question: Business profit is:
Your Answer: earnings minus assets
Correct Answer: revenue minus expenses

I didn’t even know the exact business definitions of each of those terms.

Question: What was the source of the following phrase: â??Government of the people, by the people, for the peopleâ???
Your Answer: Declaration of Independence
Correct Answer: Gettysburg Address

Well… I guess you learn something new every day.

Question: The phrase that in America there should be a â??wall of separationâ?? between church and state appears in:
Your Answer: the Constitution
Correct Answer: Thomas Jeffersonâ??s letters

I knew it was one or the other. I just wasn’t sure of that exact quote.