T Nation

Civic Literacy Quiz

[quote]florelius wrote:
WOW just WOW, hope she doesnt becomes a college educator!

On a serious note I have a hard time believing that the average for people who teach at
college is as low as 55%. I thought people that teaches at such places had atleast a masters degree. [/quote]

I can easily believe that the academics aren’t that far ahead. I have a harder time believing that everybody, in general, is doing so poor on average.

Education isn’t the same thing as intelligence. I’m of the opinion that almost anyone that has a good memory and is willing to work hard has what it takes to achieve higher education if they try.

Also, there are huge variations in the quality of post-secondary institutions, and there are a lot more schools on the really crappy end than the really good one. Not to mention the fact that for every history prof who aces the test, there’s probably also a crazy (and probably high) philosophy prof, and a bunch of other liberal arts and science profs who don’t. Just because you have a Master’s or PhD doesn’t mean you have a well-rounded education.

[quote]Apoklyps wrote:
Not to mention the fact that for every history prof who aces the test, there’s probably also a crazy (and probably high) philosophy prof, and a bunch of other liberal arts and science profs who don’t. Just because you have a Master’s or PhD doesn’t mean you have a well-rounded education.[/quote]

Yep, theater and fine art professors would count as academics in a demographic breakdown, but the fine arts requirements I had as an undergrad were taught by people who very possibly could have missed almost every question on that test.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]doogie wrote:
I missed the Puritans question.[/quote]

It was a misleading question. I got it right only by elimination.

The Puritans were hardly the religious nuts depicted in the Scarlet Letter and publik skoul history books.

I got 32/33. Missed :

What impact did the Anti-Federalists have on the United States Constitution?
Your Answer: their influence ensured that the federal government would maintain a standing army
Correct Answer: their arguments helped lead to the adoption of the Bill of Rights

Still not sure I am wrong.

++++++

I am not surprised how badly college teachers did; strongly doubt they got a single one of the economic questions correct.

Socrates & The Puritians got me.

[quote]thethirdruffian wrote:
I got 32/33. Missed :

What impact did the Anti-Federalists have on the United States Constitution?
Your Answer: their influence ensured that the federal government would maintain a standing army
Correct Answer: their arguments helped lead to the adoption of the Bill of Rights

Still not sure I am wrong.

[/quote]

From what I understand, and I may be wrong, is both Federalist and Anti-Federalists opposed a standing army, in a general sense.

But all in all, it would be the Federalists, the Hamiltonians that would want the Standing Army if anyone.

You answered 32 out of 33 correctly ? 96.97 %

If you have any comments or questions about the quiz, please email americancivicliteracy@isi.org.

You can consult the following table to see how citizens and elected officials scored on each question.

If taxes equal government spending, then:
Your Answer: government debt is zero
Correct Answer: tax per person equals government spending per person on average

I eliminated obvious wrong answers then guessed on the Socrates/Plato/Aquinas question, using my (partial and rusty) knowledge of each of them–that was a 50/50 shot for me. I was sloppy on reading the answers on the taxes question or I would have got that right too. Irritates me that I cost myself that question.

You answered 31 out of 33 correctly ? 93.94 %

If you have any comments or questions about the quiz, please email americancivicliteracy@isi.org.

You can consult the following table to see how citizens and elected officials scored on each question.

Incorrect Answers
Question: What impact did the Anti-Federalists have on the United States Constitution?
Your Answer: their influence ensured that the federal government would have the power to tax

I’m an idiot for that one ^

Question: In 1935 and 1936 the Supreme Court declared that important parts of the New Deal were unconstitutional. President Roosevelt responded by threatening to:
Your Answer: override the Supreme Court?s decisions by gaining three-quarter majorities in both houses of Congress
Correct Answer: appoint additional Supreme Court justices who shared his views

And wow, that is ridiculous…

[quote]florelius wrote:
I got 28 correct out of 33 possible.

As an non-American I feel okay with that.[/quote]

You, my fellow Scandinavian, did better than me… 27 out of 33 here

32/33…missed Seperation of Church and State in Jefferson’s letter.

[quote]pittbulll wrote:

[quote]florelius wrote:

[quote]Apoklyps wrote:
26/33. Oh the shame… It would be there if I was an American lol.

Honestly, the average being 49% (and 55% for college educators) scares the living shit out of me. She must make up 25% of their sample size or something…

[/quote]

On a serious note I have a hard time believing that the average for people who teach at
college is as low as 55%. I thought people that teaches at such places had atleast a masters degree. [/quote]

[/quote]

What the fucking fuck was that? And 1/5th of Americans can’t locate the USA on a map? Who hires these people? We do we need that many people to hose out porta-johns?

That woman, I predict, is either now a whore or working at a Jimmy John’s.

I got 27 right. Two I just missed, one I wasn’t concentrating on and the rest I was trying to figure the answer I thought they wanted.

28 out of 33.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

[quote]pittbulll wrote:

[quote]florelius wrote:

[quote]Apoklyps wrote:
26/33. Oh the shame… It would be there if I was an American lol.

Honestly, the average being 49% (and 55% for college educators) scares the living shit out of me. She must make up 25% of their sample size or something…

[/quote]

[/quote]

What the fucking fuck was that? And 1/5th of Americans can’t locate the USA on a map? Who hires these people? We do we need that many people to hose out porta-johns?

That woman, I predict, is either now a whore or working at a Jimmy John’s.
[/quote]

We need people working at Jimmy John’s! Their subs are delicious!

You answered 30 out of 33 correctly â?? 90.91 %

Incorrect Answers
Question: Business profit is:
Your Answer: earnings minus assets
Correct Answer: revenue minus expenses

I didn’t even know the exact business definitions of each of those terms.

Question: What was the source of the following phrase: â??Government of the people, by the people, for the peopleâ???
Your Answer: Declaration of Independence
Correct Answer: Gettysburg Address

Well… I guess you learn something new every day.

Question: The phrase that in America there should be a â??wall of separationâ?? between church and state appears in:
Your Answer: the Constitution
Correct Answer: Thomas Jeffersonâ??s letters

I knew it was one or the other. I just wasn’t sure of that exact quote.