T Nation

Citrulline Malate in SWOF

Hey guys (asking mods here too),

Biotest has been anti-NO2 for a long time now, but I guess more specifically anti-arginine supplementation. If Citrulline Malate is really just reported to increase body l-arginine levels more than ingesting l-arginine itself, then aren't we still dealing with the same NO2 nonsense?

Why bother including Citrulline Malate if its effects are still controversial? Are there any conclusive studies on it yet?

"Could you prove" that 1 gram of citrulline malate raises arg more than 1 gram of arg? It would interest the living hell out of me. Seriously.

I found three studies:

So it seems to work, but could anyone tell me why? I just get really confused when I try to grasp this, since everything is connected in so many ways and the stubborn stuff just wont stop regenerating.

After reading the SWOF "article" my guess is this: Citrulline makes the urea cycle (important in amino acid breakdown) go a helluva lot faster, while malate enters the mitochondria and produces NADH, which in the end equals 2,5 ATP per molecule of malate? And you're not after it for the NO "bullshit"? Correct?

Note that one of those studies was using finger flexion (!) as the exercise, which is pretty bizarre. (the others were bench press and cycling).

I'm pretty sure CM is supposed to reduce lactate build up, also