Circumcision Equality

Oh my. That is quite a meander.

What’s the intended purpose of circumcision and how do their purposes differ by sex?

C’mon man, you’re smart enough to acknowledge that it is a false equivalence.

Do you consider “social reasons” to be any reason that isn’t financial in nature? Even the financial nature, I’ve met quite a few left leaners, like ED, that simply acknowledge they have more than enough money to live the way they want to, so they put much less stock in the taxes debate.

There are a few high ranking salesmen at the company I work at who could really give 2 shits about their tax rate, because for them their sales numbers are just ways to keep score on who’s winning.

Furthermore, “pockets picked” implies something that isn’t deserved and/or is forced. If a high earning left leaning person believes in the programs being enacted with his/her tax dollars, they’ll be MUCH less inclined to consider taxes as picking their pockets.

3 Likes

Yes. And thankfully, the most people understand the difference in self-interest and the public interest.

Just stirring up conversation

Too bad tax dollars aren’t spent on “public interest” their used to pay interest on national debt.

@zeb1

You have your anti-government analogy a little off. “Pockets Picked” implies subterfuge and stealth.

If you maintain the government is taking wealth they have no right to (ancap/libertarian) then the proper analogy is “Tribute”. It’s like when the Mongol Hord parks outside your city and demands money. If you don’t hand over the demanded money the army will come and take all of your wealth and life by force.

It’s the same with tax law. So long as you comply and remit the money, the government takes their cut without force. If you break the laws then the men with guns come and seize 100%. Resistance is fatal. There’s nothing stealthy about it.

1 Like

That’s dumb, it makes no sense - if the borrowed money paid for something in the public interest, sure that interest is also something spent on the public interest. It’s part of the cost of paying for that public interest item now as opposed to waiting or foregoing it entirely.

Define public interest.

Government spending left the arena of public interest long ago

Welfare of the general public (in contrast to the selfish interest of a person, group, or firm) in which the whole society has a stake and which warrants recognition, promotion, and protection by the government and its agencies.[quote=“therajraj, post:177, topic:229275”]
Government spending left the arena of public interest long ago
[/quote]

In some cases, yes, in others, no.

I agree, but there is a remedy for that as I have already suggested. They can send the government as much money as they like. They don’t have to impose their will on the rest of us.

If some wealthy lefty earns one million bucks a year and wants to pay more than the $395,000 that they owe the feds (assuming no deductions) then they can simply throw in an additional $105,000 and make it an even 50% in taxes. Go for it lefties

As a women I think it’s not healthy for a women to be circumcised. I don’t agree with the women in the video at all. I don’t feel this subject has anything to with “equality” I think it’s just something for the new age feminist to bitch about.

While I agree that I don’t think the subject of circumcision is an equality issue (male circumcision =/= FGM), I think there is a legitimate grievance against infant male circumcision; it’s not just something new for modern feminists to bitch about.

Maybe I am ignorant on this subject but why is male circumcision wrong?

Would you agree, that to them, your position seems equally insane?

You’re free to wander homeless and destitute you know. Taxes aren’t a requirement to live, just to live comfortably.

Except they do. Without the proper legislative changes, something like sending them a check does nothing, as the programs they want to implement don’t exist.

All that aside, I 100% understand your motivations for wanting lower taxes, and to a lesser extent, I would be thrilled to see my taxes going down. But not everybody has the same goals or wants in life. It’s simply short sighted to think of them as insane or wacky, when they simply have a different set of priorities as you.

1 Like

I personally won’t go as far as to say it’s definitively wrong, but there are people (some have even stated so in this thread) who are against its practice.

I think the general argument follows this line of thought:

1. A circumcision is a permanent procedure
  2. The only demonstrated benefits are reducing ailments that an individual would likely encounter at at a sexually mature age (i.e. a time when they can make their own decision on circumcision).

To quote The American Academy of Pediatrics “health benefits of male circumcision outweigh the risks, but the benefits are not great enough to recommend universal newborn circumcision.”

It originated in religious/cultural practices, and certainly that is one of the main reasons it is still done today. I don’t feel there is any clear right or wrong in this regard. Personally, if a parents is of such a background and chooses that for their child, I have no qualms with it, but some people think it encroaches on the rights of the child since it is a permanent procedure, which I understand as well.

Some people are against it because they think it is traumatizing on the infants and has lasting effects. Again, I think if that’s your view as a parent, that’s up to you.

My parents are not religious, but they are both physicians and decided to have me circumcised. It’s all I’ve ever known down there.

In my opinion female circumcision is mutilation as there are no benefits. I do see the benefits of male circumcision and don’t consider it mutilation. I’m sure some would disagree with me. The woman defending this is wrong and if I was a doctor I would refuse such practice. Just my opinion.

Don’t worry, it’s not just your opinion that female “circumcision” is mutilation; it is fact.

1 Like

No, wanting to keep more of ones hard earned money is anything but insane. How ludicrous

First of all, the ultimate penalty would be loss of freedom. If you don’t know that then you don’t understand how the system works. Paying the government is the smartest option and one that I choose to do because of the great penalties that would be levied.

Wrong, read the constitution. Where does it say that I am responsible to support someones child who lives 10 states away? The government is too large and does too many things for too many people. And the left is primarily responsible for this. And it is insane and they are wacky for expecting the rest of us to want more of our money stolen for things that, in the end, do not make people better, only more dependent on government.

Don’t think so? Google “great war on poverty”. There are more people dependent on government now than before the second worst modern day president LBJ launched his great war on poverty.

The left’s ideas DO NOT WORK. If you think they do show me a financially successful major City or State where there has been long-term left wing rule.

This debate need not happen. The left has failed it has been proven repeatedly. Which only makes me wonder aloud why do people who have good jobs (not with the feds) vote democrat?

Back to where I started!