Circuit Training Workouts Rep Schemes

Hi @Christian_Thibaudeau

When using option 4 from article (a little of everything) do You use the same rep schemes for strength circuit in every workout in the week? Assuming that You train 3 times per week it is always 4 sets of 3-5 reps? Is it a double progression model or rather triple progression model? Thanks in advance

There are honestly more than one way to skin a cat. I like the double/triple progression model when focusing on one lift at a time. Can it be used for circuits? Sure. Is it the only way or even the best way? I suspect that other approaches are just as efective.

I think that the key here is to find an approach that motivates you and is fairly simple to apply. The issue I could potentially see with triple progression and circuits is that the exercises performed later in a circuit (thus is a more fatigued state) would progress at a slower rate than the first exercise in a circuit.

I also think that trying to push each set to the limit or close to it (which can happen with the double/triple progression model) on a circuit might not be the best thing to do from a fatigue/recovery/neurological standpoint.

I also feel that varying the rep zone daily can be beneficial. You could have one neurological day of sets of 1-3 reps/set, a “building day” with sets of 4-5 reps and a supramax day with heavy partials for 3-5 reps/set.

1 Like

Thanks for answer I really like and use for last 4 weeks triple progression model since it is simple and I’m still in 6 reps zone:)
But I’m using it for one lift per day. It will probably be hard for me to use it for 3 exercises 3 times a week.

I’m thinking about some approche where I have one main lift with triple progression mode and then one circuit for another. For example :
A1. SGHP as main lift for the day with triple progression
Circuit done for 3-4 sets of 6-8 reps
B1. Dips
B2. Goblet squat
B3. DB rows
And at the end metcon circuit.

A1. squad as main exercise for the day
Circuit done for 3-4 sets of 6-8 reps
B1. Clean and push press
B2. Glute ham raises
B3. Pull ups
Metcon