T Nation

Circuit Training and Bodyfat Loss

My Wife and I own a gym and have been doing more circuit training with our clients. Its a mix of weights body weight exercises ans cardio combined in an intese 50min workout. Here is my question, they are all getting in better shape. However there seems to be little bodyfat loss.

My Wife did one of our workouts with a heart rate monitor and was at a level 4 the whole time. She was in an anerobic phase the entire time. So no bodyfat was being used for energy? So do we just lower the intensity to lower level to burn fat?

To
Many
Variables

[quote]Rugbyguy wrote:
My Wife and I own a gym and have been doing more circuit training with our clients. Its a mix of weights body weight exercises ans cardio combined in an intese 50min workout. Here is my question, they are all getting in better shape. However there seems to be little bodyfat loss.

My Wife did one of our workouts with a heart rate monitor and was at a level 4 the whole time. She was in an anerobic phase the entire time. So no bodyfat was being used for energy? So do we just lower the intensity to lower level to burn fat?[/quote]

There may be too many variables, like what are the clients eating when then leave the gym. How long to these sessions last? I’ve done similar work before for no more than twenty min a day and it worked great( they always were done after weight training).

Sounds like your workouts are leaning more towards HIT type training. You don’t have to be in the so called “ZONE” to burn fat calories. The time spent outside of the gym after these types of workouts are just as important

The ‘fat burning zone’ is mythological, it is based on a misunderstanding of absolute and relative values.

Obviously diet will be key to fat loss, also how long have you been doing this?

For fat loss circuits, look into Peripheral Heart Action Training.

Just looked it, great idea! Thanks for the help

I like Robert dos Remedios’ book CARDIO STRENGTH TRAINING.
The philosophy behind PURE Tabata workouts will work too.