T Nation

Circuit or Regular Workout for Fat Loss?

I was thinking because of my weight it would probably be a better idea to work on loosing weight rather than working on muscle with weight loss as a side effect

so do you think id be better of doing a circuit or just a regular routine for weight loss being the priority… I dont mind loosing a bit of the muscle I do have… I can always get it back later but id rather be a healthy weight and then work on muscle

opinions?

If you eat healthy and use circuit based resistance training to lose weight, you should lose way more fat that muscle.

Really it’s the only reasonable answer if you’re at an “unhealthy” weight.

Do both if losing fat is such a big concern. You are better off taking advantage of the extra strength you have from being fat to build muscle tons of it, as you learn to eat healthy and frequently pouring on the protein like your at a bodybuilding buffet 24/7 ~ plus getting enough rest. The fat will come off.

If you create a situation that isn’t friendly to fat then you’ll only see results you never imagined. Though how fat are you?

Work on muscle and toss on 10-15 minutes of cardio after lifting.

If you feel especially fanatical go toss some sprinter or interval type training during other times of the day for 20-30 minutes.

Read through the beginner stickies ~

I think you need to man up.

What do you want within 3 months.
6 months, 9 months, 1 year.

Now between year 1 and year 2. What do you want to accomplish.

Drop the… I wouldn’t mind… , I can always…, I’d rather…, I was thinking… mumbo jumbo namby pamby jibber jabber ~ who taught you to think and talk like that over something you care about! :wink:

Cheers to your future success.

How fat? I avoid hills because I may trip and roll down like a boulder killing small children.

The goal is to lose approximately 30lbs-40lbs in 3 months and then keep going at a rate of at least 5lbs a month until im at my desired weight of 220.I forgot exactly what my bf would supposedly be but it was something like 13%?

My one year goal is to enter College at a healthy weight and be fairly fit

Work on muscle and toss on 10-15 minutes of cardio after lifting.

If you feel especially fanatical go toss some sprinter or interval type training during other times of the day for 20-30 minutes.

Read through the beginner stickies ~

X2: all you need to know

u could try meltdown traing. its pretty intense

[quote]Petermus wrote:
How fat? I avoid hills because I may trip and roll down like a boulder killing small children.

The goal is to lose approximately 30lbs-40lbs in 3 months and then keep going at a rate of at least 5lbs a month until im at my desired weight of 220.I forgot exactly what my bf would supposedly be but it was something like 13%?

My one year goal is to enter College at a healthy weight and be fairly fit[/quote]

Now those are some solid goals. Now you have to commit and get to work :wink: Remember what the goonies said!

focus on building muscle. By building muscle you increase your body’s ability to burn fat more effectively and efficiently. Since you are starting out, you might as well work on developing strength while gaining some lean mass.

Do some cardio to increase your fat burning and more importantly increase your endurance so that you can workout longer or at a higher intensity. I personally don’t like the traditional cardio but prefer sprints and energy system manipulation but you aren’t ready for that yet…not to sound condescending or snobby.

You want to work on your foundation first. Make sure you stay focused and don’t give up.