T Nation

Circuit City Bites the Dust

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=a0Vg0XjJ_wOE&refer=home

I heard about this yesterday. My be time for me to get a HDTV???

This was actually a long time in the making. I’m not sure it is fair to blame the current state of the economy for CC’s problems.

Any ideas who might be next? We should start a bankruptcy pool.

Walmart and Target are bigger culprits than the economic situation for eliminating the more 1 dimensional Circuit City.

[quote]GumsMagoo wrote:
Any ideas who might be next? We should start a bankruptcy pool.[/quote]

GM

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
GumsMagoo wrote:

GM[/quote]

+1

Let’s rip this band-aid off quick and just fucking take the pain and start over quicker.

I’m sick of watching this economy slowly waste away.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
GumsMagoo wrote:

GM[/quote]

If they can hold on until January, B.O. will save their bacon.

Maybe Best Buy will follow…

If CC liquidates their inventory during the Thanksgiving and Christmas shopping season, it could deal a serious blow to BB.

Wow. Imagine the flood of competent and well-informed computer salesman on the job market.

Or not.

[quote]pookie wrote:

If CC liquidates their inventory during the Thanksgiving and Christmas shopping season, it could deal a serious blow to BB.

Wow. Imagine the flood of competent and well-informed computer salesman on the job market.

Or not.
[/quote]

Part of the reason CC went under was that Best Buy was able to lure away customers with their more knowledgeable (lol) salespeople. The question is where did CC find staff more retarded than Best Buy’s. They must have been the only company sending reps to the job fair at the special ed school.

[quote]pookie wrote:

Or not.
[/quote]

If you are depending on a member of “The Geek Squad” to help you with a computer purchase - you deserve what ever you get.

I like Best Buy. They have a great selection of CD’s and DVD’s, and their electronics stuff is pretty good. Plus, they don’t have salesmen crawling up your ass to make a sale.

Circuit City has been in deep shit for quite some time. Glad to see them go.

[quote]pookie wrote:

Or not.
[/quote]

BB’s financial sheets look nothing like CC’s. Their earnings have remained steady and their low debt/equity will allow them to get through any tough times that may or may not be ahead.

They are no where near the top of the soon-to-be bankrupt list.

Pookie is just on another one of his “Amercian business is evil” kicks.

At the end of the day, he is just another know-it-all Canadian.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Pookie is just on another one of his “Amercian business is evil” kicks.

At the end of the day, he is just another know-it-all Canadian.[/quote]

I see you’re on another one of your “I read too much in joke set-ups” kick.

Home Depot.

[quote]jawara wrote:
I heard about this yesterday. My be time for me to get a HDTV???[/quote]

That’s what I thought, too.

I went to a Circuit City closing sale last weekend looking for a low price HDTV. All TV’s were 15% off, but there were no real deals.

I went to the Best Buy across the street and found comparable prices, including many televisions even lower priced than CC.

[quote]PRCalDude wrote:
Home Depot. [/quote]

Not likely. A well-timed article:

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/apwire/16b3a4184cc92de002e39ddfeef85fc7.htm

Retail is not in as bad a position as many would have you believe. Some of those that have been operating solely on credit obviously won’t make it, like Circuit City, but most of these large companies have the reserves to get through a recession.

What nobody is mentioning right now is how much falling gas prices are going to help the retail market this holiday season. Prices have dropped almost 50% now, we are under $2 a gallon here. Not only does this put more money in everyone’s pocket, but it raises the profit margins of goods (less shipping expenses), and has a profound psychological effect on the consumer. I predict many retail companies 4th quarter earnings will beat predictions.

[quote]pookie wrote:

Or not.
[/quote]

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm?

Retail has really gotten out of control over the last five years. Fucking stores popping up everywhere. It needs to collapse.

On October 20 Motley Fool had this:

Anyone know anything about phoenix investing?