T Nation

Circle Mark On Arm??

I saw one of my coworkers had a circle on her arm. It was small as if someone had taken the ink part out of a pen and pressed it into her to leave a mark.

I said “hey, you know you have a circle on your arm, right?”

She replied with, “Yeah, all people from different countries get them at birth. They are this shot, i don’t know what it is. Right, (other coworker).”

She is Indian and the other guy is African. He had one too. So we started joking around about how its just a mark so the feds can shine a black light on them and find out if the are foreigners.

Anyways, I googled it and couldn’t find anything. What is this mark, and what is the shot for?

I would bet on smallpox vaccination.

They don’t give smallpox vaccination in America anymore?

[quote]Chickenmcnug wrote:
They don’t give smallpox vaccination in America anymore?[/quote]

It was discontinued due to the belief of eradication from earlier vaccinations. The last documented case of smallpox in the United States was in 1949. The belief that it could be used as a weapon of terror has some military being vaccinated again. By 1980, the disease was declared destroyed due to worldwide vaccination programs…which leave small circular scars. Those in other countries were still vaccinated which is how we can tell foreign born children.

9/11 changed the rules.

X-Files did a pretty popular take on the scars being related to government tracking of individuals. I’ll try to find you info on when they were specifically discontinued in America but I believe in was in the early 1970’s.

Extra info, The last naturally occurring case in the world was in Somalia in 1977.

And from http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/topic885.htm
:

Oh ok. I remember hearing about small-pox being irradicated. However i remember hearing that babies get induced with the stuff at childhood because it is supposedly less lethal. Turns out i was thinking of chicken pox.

What tripped me out most about it was the placement on the arm. It was in the middle of the upper arm. Not near the brachial artery or anything important(that I know of).

IF you don’t need to hit a vein or artery, why not give the shot on the bottom of the foot or the butt or something? So then the mark wouldn’t be normally visible.

One more question, a vaccine is basically giving a really small dose of the agent to build immunity right?

Yep, it was discontinued in the early 70’s, I have one from 73’ in South Dakota, but friends the same age from different states often don’t.

Fat lot of good it did me, I didn’t end up being exposed to smallpox even once. And those pesky black helicopters really keep me up at night…

The smallpox vaccine is actually not a small dose of smallpox by the way. It’s cowpox.

I’m not sure why they give it in the upper arm, but they still give it there.

They give it to Military members going overseas, specifically those that are going to Korea.

It’s a series of needles that are dipped in whatever virus it is, then “stabbed” 15-18 times or something like that. Usually it’s a small circle pattern.

So it’s still given, but not to civilians.

Most of us old farts have a pretty good sized scar - mine is about .25" in diameter - on our shoulders, right above the bicep.

They have done away with that, and now they are giving the kids chicken pox vaccines.

They are taking all the fun out of being a kid.

[quote]JokerFMJ wrote:
It’s a series of needles that are dipped in whatever virus it is, then “stabbed” 15-18 times or something like that. Usually it’s a small circle pattern.

So it’s still given, but not to civilians.[/quote]

My father has one on his arm, got it in the military, and it looks pretty much just like that - about the size of a nickel or so, looking kinda like someone took a sewing machine to it.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
I would bet on smallpox vaccination.[/quote]

It’s the BCG Tuberculosis Vaccination.

IF you don’t need to hit a vein or artery, why not give the shot on the bottom of the foot or the butt or something? So then the mark wouldn’t be normally visible.

[/quote]

The circle mark is a scar and you don’t want to be walking or sitting on it while it’s fresh.

Mine took forever (nearly 12 months) to heal completely.

I saw one of my coworkers had a circle on her arm. It was small as if someone had taken the ink part out of a pen and pressed it into her to leave a mark.[/quote]

In Canada pretty much everyone over the age of 40 has these marks.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Most of us old farts have a pretty good sized scar - mine is about .25" in diameter - on our shoulders, right above the bicep.
[/quote]

Yeah, I’ve got one too. Nothing wrong with having visible scars. It gives me an opportunity to tell one of my famous battle stories.

Injections of vaccines and other medications generally go into either the shoulder area or butt if they are IM - intra muscular - which most vaccines are .

A lot of vaccines will produce localized swelling and soreness because the body identifies an infection and creates an antibody response . As someone else pointed out , you definately don’t want it in the butt because of the pain and swelling .

Goes to show how young…or how old I AM…

If you are 30 plus, your parents probably have one too.

Yup, my grandfather (who died around 1987, I think) had a circular scar like that on his left shoulder. I used to wonder if it was a bullet wound because he was a WWII vet. But I believe it was a smallpox vaccination scar.

My older relatives have this scar. They tell me it is a “booster” shot.

[quote]Rockscar wrote:
Goes to show how young…or how old I AM…

If you are 30 plus, your parents probably have one too.[/quote]

Sorry YO Momma…could be My Momma !