Circadian Rhythm, Waking Up at 3:30 am

My job requires that I wake up at 3:30am, yes, the middle of the fucking night!

Now my body has pretty much got used to getting up and sleeping at like 19:30 - 20:00, granted, I’m half asleep and have to resist sleeping on the floor/ anywhere for the first 3 hours of my shift, but I manage, just.

I’m wondering if there could be any long term detrimental effects to waking at such a ridiculous time, considering the internal clock that ticks within all of us, will my body fully adapt to my forced sleep cycle? Will it screw up my hormones and muscle building potential?

Cheers lads and lasses.

Probably for a little while. When I first went to midnights, I lost 10 pounds in about the first 3 weeks. It just takes a while to adapt.

Your body will adjust. It isn’t like your body will never get used to it. Your just suffering jet lag essentially. People move across the world and get used to it, you will to.

I’ve worked nights for 2-5 nights a week for the past 2 years and have gotten used to sleeping 4 or 5 am to noon. Recently went to a 24 hour gym and worked out at 1 am, best workout I’ve had in months.

[quote]MementoMori wrote:
Your body will adjust. It isn’t like your body will never get used to it. Your just suffering jet lag essentially. People move across the world and get used to it, you will to.

I’ve worked nights for 2-5 nights a week for the past 2 years and have gotten used to sleeping 4 or 5 am to noon. Recently went to a 24 hour gym and worked out at 1 am, best workout I’ve had in months.[/quote]

Yup.

Adapt and evolve, it’s what we’re good at.

You’ll adapt in a couple weeks. Your body clock can adjust, just like the MementoMori said with jet lag. Give it a little time, you’ll be ok.

Ive worked 3am - noon and 6pm - 3am, and I gained like 15 bad lbs and practically stopped working out for like 2 years. Yea dedication blah blah blah. My schedule shifted between these two every 4 months and it was super high stress and we were getting fucked on pay for some shady shit going down. It was so miserable it was surreal. I never adapted and god bless my gf from back then.

Im sure could adapt to anything but 3am to noon, and maybe even that if they didnt switch my shit up. Try passing out at noon, its damn near impossible! I cant maintain any schedule though, so Im not a good control group.

Anyways, so basically I have no input, ust wanted to vent lol.