T Nation

Cincinnati Football, Baby!!!

Okay…

This is a “chick” thing to say; BUT they have a very cool logo and black and red uniforms!

Now that THAT’S out of the way, it seems like ESPN likes this school, especially for nighttime games; but I know little about you guys!

So…if you LOVE Cincinnati…or HATE them…tell me more about the school (positive or negative!) if I’m going to be watching them a lot on ESPN!

Cool?

http://gobearcats.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/cinn-m-footbl-main.html

(P.S. that is a cool logo and black uniforms, though!)

Mufasa

Okay…

Now there HAS to be either some UC supporters OR haters out there that are part of “The Nation”.

(Does the whole “THE Ohio State” thing give the other Ohio schools some sort of complex???)

LOL!

Just kidding! Just want to learn a bit more about your school; and as you know, what’s on an “Official” website won’t always tell the “true” story!

(e.g… Party School? Cute chicks? Great academics? Great Sports? Hated by (fill in the blanks)?)

You get the idea!

Thanks, guys!

Mufasa

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
Okay…

Now there HAS to be either some UC supporters OR haters out there that are part of “The Nation”.

(Does the whole “THE Ohio State” thing give the other Ohio schools some sort of complex???)

LOL!

Just kidding! Just want to learn a bit more about your school; and as you know, what’s on an “Official” website won’t always tell the “true” story!

(e.g… Party School? Cute chicks? Great academics? Great Sports? Hated by (fill in the blanks)?)

You get the idea!

Thanks, guys!

Mufasa[/quote]

You’ve got to be kidding? Like them or hate them, Cincinnati is and has been the premier basketball school in the state of Ohio and one of the best nationally. Although, they have been an abysmal failure come tournament time, with a few exceptions (one Final Four over the past 15 years, I think - 2 - 3 Elite Eights). You have to have HEARD of them!

You’ve heard of Bob Huggins, right? Well…he’s gone to Kansas State.

Football? They’ll never amount to much in the Big East. Mark Dantonio, former OSU defensive coordinator is coach.

Well, since UC is pretty much in my backyard, I can give you some local flavor. Hack is right, sports-wise, it’s a basketball school. Huggins was viewed as returning them to the glory days of Oscar Robertson - NCAA champs in the early 60’s
A new president came in, with the agenda of upgrading the school’s image. It’s more or less an inner city location, surrounded by a tough neighborhood. Huggins’ basketball teams were really troubled - as was Huggins himself. There was a now legendary video of him being arrested for drunk driving that sealed his fate.

Many of the faithful are still really pissed at the president for firing him.
As for the school itself? It really is a very good academic school. Fine engineering and business programs. One of the best music conservatories in the country. Excellent medical and law schools.
And yes, very cool school colors.

the only thing I know about UC is that their rugby team is a good bunch of guys. Drank almost as much as our team did.

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
Okay…

This is a “chick” thing to say; BUT they have a very cool logo and black and red uniforms!

Now that THAT’S out of the way, it seems like ESPN likes this school, especially for nighttime games; but I know little about you guys!

So…if you LOVE Cincinnati…or HATE them…tell me more about the school (positive or negative!) if I’m going to be watching them a lot on ESPN!

Cool?

http://gobearcats.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/cinn-m-footbl-main.html

(P.S. that is a cool logo and black uniforms, though!)

Mufasa

[/quote]

I live in Kentucky and have visited UC campus many times. I love the campus…its like an urban island.

And I love Nippert stadium…I know many will think I am crazy, but the way it is built down into the ground and surrounded by the campus buildings makes it such an intimate setting. It’s not off in some fairground or 10 miles from campus.

My wife and I are going to try and see a game this fall…maybe the Rutgers game!

[quote]Hack Wilson wrote:

Like them or hate them, Cincinnati is and has been the premier basketball school in the state of Ohio and one of the best nationally. [/quote]

No doubt. I don’t know a thing about the school or city, but I do recall the Bob Huggins era.

IIRC, the mens team at Cincy was the first to have complete Nike sponsorship. And they were also ahead of the curve in sending underdeveloped youngsters to the pros. (Dermarr, Satterfield, etc)