T Nation

Cimbing Energy Bar

A friend of mine needs a good energy bar to eat DURING a climb of Mount Washington. The guides said that snickers works the best. Is this true?

The bar needs to provide a large amount of energy and not freeze solid. Power bars are useless in freezing temps…

Any ideas??

Sneakers( high in carbs, not so in protein or efa or nutrients)? Why dont you try one of the million or so rip off protein bar versions of it availble today, such as; detour, oydessey etc. They atleast give you some protein.

Mmmm… detour.

He doesn’t need protein for this particular adventure, he needs carb sources, probably preferrably high GI. I believe this is one of those situations where a snickers bar actually is a pretty decent choice.

Actually, Lone is right on this. Snickers or any High GI bar, or instead of bars, a couple of bags of trail mixs would actuallly be better would be good for climbing high altitudes.

In Health,

Silas C.

I hope this doesn’t sound disagreeable but why in the world would you purchase so processed plastic called an energy bar when a healthy natural selection of nuts/berries/natural ingredients are available.

In faith,

Coach Davies

What about some dextrose powder? If he’s stopping and heating water that is.

Well, depending on the type of climb and weather it’s harder to eat stuff like trail mix with gloves on. Bars of some sort you can keep in your coat, find them, and eat them easily. Power bars are a no go in the cold, you’d lose teeth trying to eat one. There are other bars that would work though. I tried the MetRx bars and they were OK.

The other thing is it’s just one or maybe two days and it’s not going to add up to a pinch of shit physique wise considering the activity level of climbing. I think the fats in a Snickers will give you some longer lasting energy, the sugar will give you a quick blast, and there is a tiny…make that miniscule…amount of protein too. I don’t have a Snickers for reference but a Baby Ruth has 14 G fat, 38 G Carbs, and 4 G protein.

When I go on long term adventures like my two week archery elk hunt I take trail mix and jerky to carry in my pack. I buy the stuff in the bulk bin that has lots of seeds, nuts, and twigs, and add some dried berries. I’ve noticed that doing that keeps me from losing so much weight. One year before I did that I lost 14 lb. on one hunt. Now I only lose maybe 4 lb. in the same amount of time and doing the same activites.

Using mixes is a lot easier than bars and you want have any problems with your hands. You want to pack them in wide-mouth plastic bottles. Makes it easy to dispense, you can put together a pretty eclectic mix and obviously not leave any litter behind.

In faith,

Coach Davies

I’ve had the same experience skiing and mountain biking in some pretty awful conditions. Trail mix will make you lose fingers unless you have good gloves. Met-RX bars-don’t eat try it. You put them in the bloody refridgerator and they become inedible.

Trail mix in a bag or a jar works great for me. You can add so many things to it to tailor the blend for your particular activity. Dried fruits, seeds, whatever. I really like chopped dates in mine.

Elk hunting in the mountains sure burns the fat off huh Steely?

Pun intend, pretty healthy and the “Chocolate Brownie” one tastes so damn good http://www.clifbar.com

I can’t believe someone is thinking of hiking Mount Washington now. Some people must be impervious to cold.

I bet that those new Thermacare heat packs could keep foods from freezing.