Cigar Smoking and Training

Anyone who has experience with smoking cigars and lifting? Does it affect performance in any way?

well chemotherapy’ll probably lower your 1RM, but life is for living so smoke the occasional cigar if you enjoy it.

5 Likes

It does. The big chunky tumor in your lungs will probably make Pullups and Dips a helluva lot harder because of the added weight.

1 Like

I believe the FDA relased a study a few years back that said 1-2 cigars a day increases cancer risk by only 2 %.
But aside from cancer, does it affect testosterone or other hormones?

I don’t know where you read that, but if you’re asking for permission to smoke and expect someone to tell you it’s a healthy thing to do, you’re out of luck I’m afraid.

As per the influence on performance I’m not sure, but honestly that’s the last thing I’d want to worry about if I smoked.

1 Like

It might if you manage to get addicted to nicotine and then decide it’s time to give it up. In addition to being generally miserable, my sex drive tanked for almost a month after I quit, but I smoked cigarettes for over 15 years.

Otherwise puffing on a cigar in between deadlift sets sounds pretty fucking boss to me. There’s a whole lot of vices a lot worse than a cigar or two.

5 Likes

At least cigar smoking one guy did OK.

arnold-schwarzenegger-cigar_a-G-13085410-0

5 Likes

What kind of frequency?

Couple times a month

Shit Arnie just had a heart attack.

Then probably. It still depends. A couple could mean 2 in which case I would be inclined to say it doesn’t decrease performance (while not enhancing your health obviously), or it could mean 6 in which case I would say that it likely decreases performance.
I enjoyed cigars even though I haven’t had one in years because my gf hates it. When I did though, it was like one every few months or so.

How old are you btw? Kinda going with @twojarslave here about addiction potential.

Im 19, so thats probably a little too young, but i only smoke 2-3 times a month. How would it decrease performance if you smoke cigars regularly?

A lot of stuff that is affected is more harmful to athletes who play sports or endurance athletes, If you only want maximal strength or get jacked or whatever it might not be that harmful. Minus the long term effects of smoking, which should be clear and terrifying, short term effects might influence your heart rate and respiratory rate, reduced exercise tolerance, blood pressure and lung elasticity and capacity.

I am no expert or doctor though. I did work at a lung clinic and can assure you that you don’t want to become a smoker. You don’t want to take a chance of getting to the point our patience were at. I know, you can get lung cancer without smoking and bla bla bla, coincidentally I have never seen a higher amount of heavy smokers anywhere else.

Like others have said though, depending on your athletic goals, smoking 2-3 cigars a month shouldn’t pose a big problem. I’d still urge you to be careful.

Thanks man, although i’d imagine smoking a cigar differs from smoking cigarettes. For one, you don’t inhale (most don’t anyway) and cigars only contain tobacco and nicotine, while cigarettes have hundreds of other chemicals. And most cigarette smokers smoke 1/2 to 1 pack a day, while most cigar smokers smoke once or twice a week or less. But, you do make a solid point with the reduced exercise tolarance and higher blood pressure, wich i defenantly don’t want.

I’m smoking a Cuban right now. I smoke 3-6 a year. Usually in the summer.

1 Like

Cigars?!?

Is it 1994 again?

1 Like

Sounds awesome. What other validation would you like?

This is actually false. The hundreds of chemicals found in cigarettes are also found in cigars, as they are the chemical composition of tobacco.

Also, in the piece published today on the front page , strawberries also contain hundreds of chemicals. Not equating strawberries to cigars, just pointing out that the hundreds of chemicals argument is kind of bogus because Everything contains hundreds of “chemicals”.

Wiki definition of " chemical":

2 Likes

You don’t inhale cigar smoke…

1 Like

Unless you are looking for peak performance or performing professionally I don’t think you’d see any difference.
But if you do, then stop. And don’t inhale, unless it’s a blunt. Then inhaling is necessary.

2 Likes