CIA Hacking Everything and More

I disagree. If the price of American’s “knowing” (we really don’t know, no context or knowledge if it was manipulated to show a one sided story) is that ongoing operations are compromised and terrorists are not caught, I’d rather not know. Waging internet battles isn’t that important.

Right, catching all those terrorists. Like the ones the FBI set up because they can’t find any real ones. Fuck them. If they aren’t supposed to do it, they shouldn’t do it.

and who are you again? (sorry couldn’t help myself)

1 Like

Based on your username I’m assuming you’re an ancap?

Do what specifically? Have the ability to hack into devices? I want them to have that ability.

I’m also confused on this premise. Are you saying that the CIA, FBI, and NSA don’t do anything of value to protect America?

I still can’t figure out how to justify elected officials lying to the American people about wide-scale surveillance like this. The govt is more than able to give us context if they so choose, so them being silent is purely on them. That being said if you can point me to an operation that is now going south by the American public having this new leak information, feel free to correct me.

Having a better informed population generally isn’t good for those in power, and that’s the way uh huh uh huh I like it.

Side note (reiterating): Anyone that didn’t already know the CIA was capable of this type of surveillance hasn’t been paying attention.

1 Like

Yes, that is an astute observation. But at least I am not Hoppean.
I meant break the laws written.
Pretty sure I would be happy if they all stopped existing period.

Haha you think I have any idea about the classified CIA operations that are currently ongoing? If CIA says it has, you can choose not to believe them.

A dump of information doesn’t equal more knowledge or better awareness. The point was made above that people aren’t going through the documents themselves and only relying on their biased opinion pieces to make sense of it.

It’s an actually interesting situation that is happening in the information age. With so much information available we have an oversupply of information, which makes people value it less. The only way to get attention to information is by making it extreme and stand out. Infinite information doesn’t elighten people, it confuses them. As the information gets confusing people lose trust and rely on their basic instincts, which is the opposite of what has brought society into the information age in the first place… but I digress.

1 Like

If you can’t acknowledge anything of value that the CIA/FBI/NSA does for the USA, I don’t really see this conversation going anywhere. We could talk anti-gov in the talking libertarianism thread or when we discussed taxation=theft (forgot which thread that was), but that is an extreme position that side tracks from the discussion at hand.

A dump of information, by definition, increases knowledge and awareness. As I keep saying, the CIA/govt is more than welcome to provide context if they want to ensure everyone gets the right story.

I still can’t find a way to justify lying to the American people about doing something that may or may not be illegal.

Has the CIA said as much about this leak? From what I’ve read, the leak exposes what they’re ABLE to do, not what they’re currently doing.

I don’t peruse PWI very often. In fact I just noticed the link and posted it to hear some different opinions. So forgive me if some of my anti-government bias seeps in. Hell, i spent 5 years in the USMC and now jumped over to the army and am now still trying to figure out what purpose they serve half the time, and that is one of the few legitimate functions of government.

1 Like

Not always. Seems like a contradiction that it wouldn’t, but that’s whats happening in the information age.

Me too, which is why I’m surprised you keep jumping to something being illegal. If it says they have the ability to hack into devices, I want them to have that ability as it is part of being able to identify terrorist plots.

I’m not saying to not discuss the topics, far from it. They can and should be discussed. The point of PWI is to challenge your viewpoints. I was merely saying that discussing your stance that the CIA should be abolished is not productive to discussing the topic of this thread.

We have other threads related to anti-government discussions, which you might enjoy reading.
Talking Libertarianism - #204 by anon71262119

I will have to read through that, thanks!

Have you gained knowledge or awareness from this?

Because wrapping my head around the CIA having this ability and never once using it doesn’t make sense. I don’t need “proof” that it’s been used instead of just sitting on a shelf.

I’m now aware this data exists. If this had a malicious header to it, I’d be more than willing to listen to your explanation of what it REALLY is.

I’m not saying it isn’t used. But you are assuming it is being used illegally.

What are you aware of? Numbers on a sheet?

If somebody is given specific information it does not increase their overall awareness, it actually can confirm their bias or confuse them. I ran across this interesting post related to this recently: https://markmanson.net/everything-is-fucked

The situation is something that a lot of bussinesses are struggling with right now. They have a ton of data, but if it is not used in the right way it does not help them and can actually make things worse.

1 Like

Correct I’m making that assumption. It’s one I’m more than happy to live with. In my mind, if they weren’t breaking the law, we wouldn’t have needed a leak to learn of its existance.

Which is why I would strongly advise the CIA/govt to give context if everything is above board. There’s absolutely nothing stopping them from enlightening us.

You don’t have a clue what it is…

Right, exactly. It could be anything.

Which is why (as I keep saying) the govt/CIA should provide context to show they aren’t breaking the law. Absolutely nothing stopping them if everything they’re doing is legal.

How are they supposed to prove they didn’t break the law?

Operational prudence?
The safety of their field agents?
Trade secrets?