T Nation

Churches Warn-Fitness Becoming Religion

Churches warn of fitness craze becoming religion

It never fails to amaze me what irrelevant topics they choose to address.

I am just glad I am no longer part of the club…

Well isn’t this interesting?

People take all this stuff way too far. It is what it is. If you don’t have a perfect body, don’t hate yourself for it, just do what needs to be done. A good little philosophy of mine is simply to “strive to be better” over a given period of time, or just in general. Everyone takes this stuff way too seriously.

That’s retarded. Never in history has ill health or disability been celebrated. Why make an issue of it now?

Given the current state of 70% of people becoming lardasses these days, I’d say that qualifies as “dangerous cult” more than some health nuts out there that strive to live longer and easier.

[quote]gatesoftanhauser wrote:
Given the current state of 70% of people becoming lardasses these days, I’d say that qualifies as “dangerous cult” more than some health nuts out there that strive to live longer and easier.[/quote]

Isn’t gluttony a deadly sin?

[quote]Padilla7921 wrote:

Isn’t gluttony a deadly sin?[/quote]

Not according to Oprah! After all “Fat people can’t help it”

:rolleyes:

I guess your body isn’t a temple after all.

Good to see that churches are as stupid and useless as ever.

Idiots.

So the magical church says that the big imaginary man in the sky doesn’t want you looking too good.

Sounds like the Church is filled with ugly, envious people.

[quote]Padilla7921 wrote:

Isn’t gluttony a deadly sin?[/quote]

Yup, but so are lust, wrath, and pride, all of which are pretty cool I think. Deadly sins are overrated.

Anyway, with the complete and utter lack of advanced exercisers out there, I don’t think the Church has anything to worry about.

People are fatter than ever, and more accepted for being fat than ever (since the Roman Empire, at least). I’m more worried about “fitness” becoming extinct, to be honest.

[quote]Bauer97 wrote:
I’m more worried about “fitness” becoming extinct, to be honest.[/quote]

I would have to agree.

[quote]dk44 wrote:
I guess your body isn’t a temple after all.[/quote]

lol

“At an ecumenical service in Würzburg, the head of the German Bishops Conference, Heinrich Mussinghoff, said fitness was well and good, “but it’s not everything.”” they’re not saying we should all be slobs…relax dudes

Anyone notice the 3 numbers on the OP’s username?

Isn’t it the strong and healthy that look after the weak and sick. The church should be praising the healthy.

To many times in history the fools in powerful positions have advised against exercise. That contact sports were bad for women. That the old should not exercise.

These church leaders should learn to mind their own business. They have used their influence all to often to steer people in the wrong direction.

There are way to many people that take their word as gospel. They are totally influenced by the words of religious leaders.

[quote]Reef wrote:
Anyone notice the 3 numbers on the OP’s username?[/quote]

FUCK!

[quote]streamline wrote:
These church leaders should learn to mind their own business.[/quote]

LOL!

If only…

[quote]Reef wrote:
Anyone notice the 3 numbers on the OP’s username?[/quote]

That’s either really scary or really ironic.

As someone who grew up in church almost my entire life fitness was always encouraged because of the very fact that the Bible states your body is a temple and glutney is a sin.

The article isnt encouraging people to get fat, only to accept people for who they are…healthy or not.

“…those who don’t have an ideal body type or perfect health shouldn’t be stigmatized.”

How many times have we heard on T-Nation, “I hate fat people because…”

As a counterpoint to this article, one of our pastors just gave a sermon on how people need to get off the couch and get into shape, and commented on how no one would take your spiritual discipline seriously if your physical discipline is out of whack.

I was also asked to speak to the youth group on a similar topic a few months back, and I also put together a workout for our interns.

Not every church is full of the fat and jealous.