T Nation

Chucks

I’m looking to buy a pair of Chuck Taylor’s, probably the hound’s tooth ones, as they’re the ugliest I can find.

However, I need to ask a stupoid question first. Do I need to get the high tops or can I use the low ones?

It seems like the high tops might interfere with full ankle extension on power snatchs/power cleans. Plus, the low tops are a bunch cheaper…

I have the high tops. They work fine for me when doing snatches, cleans, etc.

Get the high tops. They don’t interfere, and they look strangely hip.

[quote]Atomic Dog wrote:
Get the high tops. They don’t interfere, and they look strangely hip.[/quote]

Hip? That’s what I’m afraid of. I’m getting them to lift in, but somehow I know I’m going to wind up wearing them to class…

These are the ones I want.

[quote]conorh wrote:
Atomic Dog wrote:
Get the high tops. They don’t interfere, and they look strangely hip.

Hip? That’s what I’m afraid of. I’m getting them to lift in, but somehow I know I’m going to wind up wearing them to class…

These are the ones I want.
[/quote]

LOL! You like those??? I think they’re horrible!

Mine are sweet. Black with red stitching. They look cool, and I can wear them outside the gym too.

Hi-tops ARE hip. I have three pairs. Including a pink pair.

Try wearing those to the gym :wink:

[quote]conorh wrote:
I’m looking to buy a pair of Chuck Taylor’s, probably the hound’s tooth ones, as they’re the ugliest I can find.
[/quote]

You’re right. Those are the ugliest f’ing shoes I’ve ever seen. Where can I get a pair?

If you go to converse.com you can build your own Chucks from the sole up. Costs a little extra, but you’ll have a custom pair no one else will have.

Being ugly makes them cool…

Kinda like me. I’m so ugly I’m fascinating.

That’s what I tell the girls :frowning: especially when I’m wearing my pink cons…

I just noticed the pink racing stripe…does that make me a girl?

I was going to buy a pair of Adidas O’lifting shoes but I keep hearing all this about Chuck Taylors for lifting. I’m not a competetive O lifter just some GPP stuff but I squat and dead a lot. The Chucks are definity cheaper. Which one should I go with???

Thanks, T

Grrr…Skull and crossbones are scary and intimidating…grrr…now go deadlift somethin’ heavy.

[quote]conorh wrote:
Do I need to get the high tops or can I use the low ones?

[/quote]

Simple. Get the high tops…just dont lace them up as high if you feel restricted or want more flexibility.

[quote]Thad wrote:
I was going to buy a pair of Adidas O’lifting shoes but I keep hearing all this about Chuck Taylors for lifting. I’m not a competetive O lifter just some GPP stuff but I squat and dead a lot. The Chucks are definity cheaper. Which one should I go with???

Thanks, T[/quote]

Depends on your goals and squatting style. I lift better with a 2" heel on most things, so O-lifting or squat shoes like Crains or Safe shoes are perfect. Some people go ultra wide when squatting and need a flat sole. A heel is suicide on the deadlift though. Chucks are good there - deadlift slippers or wrestling shoes with a wide sole (like the Medalist) are better.

-Dan

Thanks, I didn’t even think about stance. I Squat Olympic style (Close footed butt to the floor) so a heel would make sense. Right now I use work boots, I should probably just stick with them, there just a pain to keep in my bag and I look like a dork in shorts. Thanks again for the info. -T

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
If you go to converse.com you can build your own Chucks from the sole up. Costs a little extra, but you’ll have a custom pair no one else will have. [/quote]

Okay, after designing a pair, I think my next pair of Chucks after I kill the ones I have will have to be customs. Of course, that won’t be for twenty years or so; think Converse will be still offering the custom deal? Perhaps they will allow shipping to Canada then…

-FC

[quote]Minotaur wrote:
Grrr…Skull and crossbones are scary and intimidating…grrr…now go deadlift somethin’ heavy.[/quote]

Where did you find those?

[quote]Thad wrote:

Thanks, T[/quote]

If you’re not lifting competitively, I wouldn’t get the O’lifting shoes simply because that’s a lot of money to invest in something if you don’t even need the extra edge.