T Nation

Chucks for Deads

Was looking to pick up a pair of converse for lifting in. I think that you’re supposed to have the flat-soled chucks to help the deadlifts, etc. Just wanted to make sure these were the ones to get and would work. Thanks.

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/605466/c/3.html

Oh, I’m assuming I’ll get a couple ‘get nike frees’ which if you want to suggest them go ahead but I am leaning more towards the chucks, just fyi.

I just recently got a pair of cons. They run large, so you’re going to have to get a couple of sizes smaller. I’m normally a 10-10.5, but they were huge on me. An 8.5 fits perfectly. If you care at all you can go onto converse.com and customize them any color you want

The Converse Chuck’s are the ones you want.

They feel really good when pulling.

I use mine for squat and dead. Some people prefer to pull barefoot or socks, but that’s hard to get away with in most gyms.

I don’t know about the running large thing. I wear a 12 and bought 12’s and they fit fine. My next pair I will probably size down to an 11.5, only to get them a little tighter, but they definitely arent 1.5 to 2 sizes too big for me.

I use a Chuck knock of by championm like $5 LOL then rip the insoles out to get even a thinner harder base I Love pulling barefoot but made the switch as they make you have something on your feet more than socks in Meets.

Phill

[quote]Phill wrote:
rip the insoles out to get even a thinner harder base [/quote]

Good idea, I might try this

Go to Walmart, they have generic chucks for around $6 instead of paying the now inflated prices charged for chucks.

regards,

sensless

Chuck taylors make a big difference lifting for me. Mainly they helped me in the balance dept. with one legged romanian deadlifts.

Worth the $$$$

[quote]sensless wrote:
Go to Walmart, they have generic chucks for around $6 instead of paying the now inflated prices charged for chucks.

regards,

sensless[/quote]

Exactly thats where I got mine I think

Phill

Mine were a little on the large side. I just double up on socks it seems to snung them up a bit.

Thanks for the info guys. I might check out walmart for those cheaper ones but most likely will just order the ones I showed in the link. I’ll be on the lookout for the size difference too.

I prefer deadlift slippers for conventional and wrestling shoes for sumo. Chucks have a thicker sole and that is extra distance to pull.

I like them to squat, but that’s it.

check out Vans slip ons while you’re at it. They can be found on Backcountry.com for about 35 bucks.

PF Flyers are obviously the way to go…

[quote]mattwray wrote:
I prefer deadlift slippers for conventional and wrestling shoes for sumo[/quote]

where can i find deadlift slippers? do you just use something like ballet shoes (sounds weird, but whatev)?

I use aqua socks. They were out fast but work great.

[quote]InCorporeSano wrote:
mattwray wrote:
I prefer deadlift slippers for conventional and wrestling shoes for sumo

where can i find deadlift slippers? do you just use something like ballet shoes (sounds weird, but whatev)?[/quote]

I got mine from liftinglarge.com. $6 if I remember right…

[quote]mattwray wrote:
[/quote]

Yep, they’re on Lifting Large for $8.00 here: http://liftinglarge.com/misc%20items.htm .

Is having a shoe that supports your ankles more just a matter of preference?

[quote]ak888 wrote:
mattwray wrote:

Yep, they’re on Lifting Large for $8.00 here: http://liftinglarge.com/misc%20items.htm .

Is having a shoe that supports your ankles more just a matter of preference?

[/quote]

Why do the not sell mens XL?

[quote]Dirty Tiger wrote:
Why do the not sell mens XL?[/quote]

I think their sizing may be a bit strange altogether. They only sell women’s pink slippers in XL. Maybe I’m off, but women’s 7-8, men’s 10-11.5 isn’t usually large, is it?