Chuck T's: High or Low Top?

[quote]yardbird wrote:
I prefer low tops because they look better with shorts. [/quote]

We’re talking about going to the gym here. Not a fucking fashion show.

I’ve lifted in high tops, lows, flat soled Adidas shoes (Sambas), and have tried on Nike wrestling shoes and definitely prefer the high tops.

When squatting I like them higher not because of ankle support, but because it is easier to take a wide stance comfortably and “spread the floor”.

The Sambas might be a good choice for people that want something a little more shoe like. I personally didn’t like the wrestling shoes because they had that weird sort of cup heel.

Hi tops laced tight.
they look badass when my obese feet cave over the sides. plus the ankle tightness is legit when lifting heavy

[quote]DOHCrazy wrote:

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
DOHCrazy wrote:
I don’t think chucks are gonna give you much support, regardless if you get them in highs or lows.

Incorrect. There’s a reason why almost ever PLer wears Chucks, tims, or a shoe specially built for squatting. They’re great for squatting.[/quote]

Incorrect.

The reason they wear them is not because of their support, it is because they have a flat bottom and offer almost no support. It is as close as you can get to not wearing shoes until you either get Vibram 5 Fingers or go barefoot.[/quote]

Chucks also have a rather hard sidewall and give a solid base/wall to push out against when squatting or pulling. You won’t get that in Vibrams or going barefoot.

I wear Addidas Wresting Shoes. I think More ankle support leads to more power.

I like the high top because the extra material keeps my foot seated in the shoe when I try to spread the floor on squats. People with normal feet may not have this problem, but I have ice skate blades for feet.

I am going to have to vote for the high tops. I lace mine up real tight when I squat. I have bad ankles from basketball back in the day and I can use all the support I can get. I do unlace them a lot when I do calf training.

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:
I wear high tops because low tops look silly.[/quote]

this is the correct answer

High for me.

I’m a high guy.

Low all the way.

High tops because you can fold them down and turn them into low tops but you can’t turn low tops into high tops.

[quote]elih8er wrote:
Why would you need ankle support while squatting? I think that is a better question…[/quote]

The reason for ankle support is to help keep the ankle as vertical as possible. If you look at shoes that are specifically designed for powerlifting squats (like Crain’s) you’ll notice that many of them have high tops and even a strap around the ankle for this very purpose.

This is something that you won’t find on OL shoes since you want a more flexible ankle for OL lifting.

To be honest I’m not sure how much it helps. Some world class squatters use low shoes while others wear high shoes, I guess it’s mostly a matter of preference. You asked why though and now you know.