Chuck Taylors

I hate Chuck Taylors and I also have wide feet. I wear Nike Free 5.0’s and will probably continue wearing them until they quit making them. I haven’t trained in any other shoe that beats them yet with regards to weight lifting and flexion. Even Chuck Taylor’s are weaker on that, especially when training calves.

Chucks seem to be what’s ‘in’ for some weight lifters. I have never bought shit just because it was a fad, however small.

River socks.

They’re meant for use by people canoeing and the such, when hauling the canoe out of the water, or dragging it through shallow river areas, but they make great lifting shoes. Light, flat bottom, fantastic grip, and they’re designed so that your feet breath and avoid moisture build up.

I picked mine up for $8 at Zellers.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
I hate Chuck Taylors and I also have wide feet. I wear Nike Free 5.0’s and will probably continue wearing them until they quit making them. I haven’t trained in any other shoe that beats them yet with regards to weight lifting and flexion. Even Chuck Taylor’s are weaker on that, especially when training calves.

Chucks seem to be what’s ‘in’ for some weight lifters. I have never bought shit just because it was a fad, however small.[/quote]

I love my chucks, but only for squatting. Certainly for any running, etc., they suck. Of course part of my love for them is nostalgia. When I played HS basketball they were the top of the line B-ball shoes. Now, looking back I wonder why I didn’t have serious foot problems.

[quote]Skuebb wrote:
Professor X wrote:

Chucks seem to be what’s ‘in’ for some weight lifters. I have never bought shit just because it was a fad, however small.

I love my chucks, but only for squatting. Certainly for any running, etc., they suck. Of course part of my love for them is nostalgia. When I played HS basketball they were the top of the line B-ball shoes. Now, looking back I wonder why I didn’t have serious foot problems.

[/quote]

Chucks for bball… Ouch…

[quote]Skuebb wrote:
[/quote]

Didn’t they used to have Jerry West on the sides or maybe on the box - I remember buying b-ball shoes in the 60’s just because Jerry was either on the shoe or on the box. :wink:

I think the main reason lifters like chucks is because they have zero arch support. I buy clearance skater shoes and take out the insole and works pretty much the same.

bands like weezer and barenaked ladies wear chuck taylors.

[quote]oldcrabbybastard wrote:
I think the main reason lifters like chucks is because they have zero arch support. I buy clearance skater shoes and take out the insole and works pretty much the same.[/quote]

The Nike 5.0’s don’t have arch support either. They do have more flexibility. In all honesty, not because I am just echoing the ads, they do feel like the closest thing to walking barefoot. I wear mine everywhere but at work.

[quote]SamsonsSon wrote:
Skuebb wrote:

Didn’t they used to have Jerry West on the sides or maybe on the box - I remember buying b-ball shoes in the 60’s just because Jerry was either on the shoe or on the box. :wink:

[/quote]
Don’t remember the Jerry West thing, but I do remember the suede ones that came out in the 70’s. Groovy. The rich kid on my team had two pairs of the suede ones. I’m still a little jealous.

[quote]oldcrabbybastard wrote:
I think the main reason lifters like chucks is because they have zero arch support. I buy clearance skater shoes and take out the insole and works pretty much the same.[/quote]

I need arch support. I substitute hiking insoles into old running shoes. Good support for general gym usage. Obviously not great for running, but walking poses no problems. Some people say compressible outer soles degrade their lifting greatly. It has not bothered me. I may try shoes with a firmer outer soles in the future to test out the difference.

[quote]BoxBabaX wrote:
Skuebb wrote:
Professor X wrote:

Chucks for bball… Ouch…[/quote]

Wilt Chamberlin was wearing Chucks when he scored 100 points in a game and played for many more years. They were just being replaced by the leather Adidas Superstars when I was in HS. Did have some Chucks back then though. They were better quality, make in the USA and not China.