Chuck Taylors

Guys - I read recently that Converse Chuck Taylors are the best type of tennis shoes for lifting - problem is that as far as I have been able to find out they only come in a medium width - anyone knows if this is the case? The wife surprised me with a pair she found on sale at Sears for $29.99 but they are medium width. The mediums are just a bit tight and I usually wear a wide in other type athletic shoes. Anyone had this same issue? Any suggestions for AFFORDABLE shoes for lifting? I actually like to lift barefoot but it is not practical for my home gym.
TIA

“Then the Spirit of the Lord came mightily upon him…”

I have been wondering the same thing. My feet are definitely too wide for CT’s, but regular running shoes just don’t cut it for lifting.

I have been looking at cheapo shoe stores for some type of “trainer” with rubber (not foam) soles.

I will let you know if I find anything; let me know what you figure out.

Jeff

Try the search function. Recently a poster recommended some good shoes for lifting. Also, someone mentioned wrestling shoes for lifting. The key is that they are flat and that is good for stability.

[quote]beebuddy wrote:
Try the search function. Recently a poster recommended some good shoes for lifting. Also, someone mentioned wrestling shoes for lifting. The key is that they are flat and that is good for stability.[/quote]

adidas sambas work really well.

[quote]swivel wrote:
beebuddy wrote:
Try the search function. Recently a poster recommended some good shoes for lifting. Also, someone mentioned wrestling shoes for lifting. The key is that they are flat and that is good for stability.

[/quote]

I like those. I used to wear them for indoor soccer. Luckily my feet aren’t so wide though, so I can use Chucks.

The really stupid thing is that apparently Chuck Taylor’s are now considered fashionable and they cost like 50$!! 50$ WTF!?

How about Nike Frees?

[quote]canabal wrote:
How about Nike Frees?[/quote]

To much heel height for serious lifting

I use a pair of Red Wing steel toe work shoes. They are comfortable with good support. How important are shoes
to someone like me that doesn’t move a lot of weight but wants to stay injury free?

[quote]old guy wrote:
I use a pair of Red Wing steel toe work shoes. They are comfortable with good support. How important are shoes
to someone like me that doesn’t move a lot of weight but wants to stay injury free?[/quote]

Important.

Running shoes or any shock-absorbing shoes suitable for the aerobics class are potentially unsafe in the gym…compression of any part of the sole during…deadlifts, standing presses and other standing exercises can cause general instability and consequent injury. Moreover, inappropriate height of the heel can shift the center of gravity of the body forward, therby increasing the stress on the knee joint and altering the optimal patterns of movement…these are major reasons why powerlifters often wear thin, heel-less shoes much like ballet pumps."

Also, the forcefulness of a muscular contraction is determined by the sum of the mental effort and various reflexes…this reflex causes the leg musculature to contract in response to the pressure on the sole of your foot - and shoes diminish the sensitivity of these receptors of the foot.

In a nutshell thick soled shoes with heels are not the best for performing lifts done in the standing position and are potentially unsafe.

In lieu of purchasing special powerlifting shoes from a specialty supplier, shoes like Chuck Taylors Converse with flat, non-giving soles helps your peformance and safety.

[quote]beebuddy wrote:
swivel wrote:
beebuddy wrote:

I like those. I used to wear them for indoor soccer. Luckily my feet aren’t so wide though, so I can use Chucks.

The really stupid thing is that apparently Chuck Taylor’s are now considered fashionable and they cost like 50$!! 50$ WTF!?[/quote]

I think you can thank Nike for that. Nike bought Converse back in 2003 and it soon as it happened I just knew that the price of Chuck Taylor’s were going to rise.

[quote]beebuddy wrote:
The really stupid thing is that apparently Chuck Taylor’s are now considered fashionable and they cost like 50$!! 50$ WTF!?[/quote]

They cost around $120 over here. Gotta love protectionist tax barriers.

• POC

[quote]SamsonsSon wrote:
old guy wrote:

Important.

Thanks for the advice I think I’ll invest in a pair of power-lifting shoes. The ounce of prevention seems like a good value. I wear 13w so it’s not easy to find shoes.
[/quote]

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
I think you can thank Nike for that. Nike bought Converse back in 2003 and it soon as it happened I just knew that the price of Chuck Taylor’s were going to rise.[/quote]

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/605466/c/3123.html

I bought this exact pair of chucks last year for $35. They’re up to $42 here, including shipping.

I have EEEE width feet and use chucks for lifting. I got a half size bigger than my true size, and lace the forefoot a little looser since the laces go almost all the way down to the toes. I don’t wear them for anything else, but for a couple hours of training they are fine.

[quote]lctrc wrote:
I have EEEE width feet and use chucks for lifting. I got a half size bigger than my true size, and lace the forefoot a little looser since the laces go almost all the way down to the toes. I don’t wear them for anything else, but for a couple hours of training they are fine.[/quote]

Sounds like a good idea it will save some money. Thanks

I too read an article a year or so ago about Chuck Taylor’s being the best training shoe. So I went along to the nearest Foot Locker and tried on a pair.

Not wide enough I find, and the cloth material that compromises the rest of the shoe is bad for friction and quite uncomfortable, especially if your feet sweat.
If you have any problems with feet (arch problems, athlete’s foot, blisters, etc) don’t go near CT’s.

I found my Otomix shoes took care of the stability issue quite efficiently and comfortably.
Bit pricey, sure, but c’mon, some Nike’s cost $200 a pop. These shoes you’d use only indoors at the gym for half a dozen hours a week so they’ll last a long time!

http://otomix.stores.yahoo.net/ultrain.html

[quote]beebuddy wrote:
swivel wrote:
beebuddy wrote:

Really?

You can get them for cheaper if you’re okay with orange or pink.

Black and red are $50.

When I bought mine, I had to laugh, it was such a good scam.

Just to give everyone a heads up… footlocker.com has specials on alot of the designs that dont sell really well, 19.99 and 29.99.

Asics wrestling shoes can be had for around $30.

[quote]lctrc wrote:
I have EEEE width feet and use chucks for lifting. I got a half size bigger than my true size, and lace the forefoot a little looser since the laces go almost all the way down to the toes. I don’t wear them for anything else, but for a couple hours of training they are fine.[/quote]

Thanks lctrc if you can make 'em work with EEEE I am sure I can too! I am going to go ahead and use the ones my wife got me - at $30 they are a good deal (apparently!) and I will only be using them for lifting.

Check at Sears guys - on sale for $29.99.