Chuck Taylors

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
Professor X wrote:
marty. wrote:
I second what chris says. Do you really want to wear your sweaty gym shoes for school and work too?

I wear the same shoes everywhere for the most part. I am amazed at those of you who apparently only sweat in the gym and no place else. Last week it got over 98 degrees around here and felt much hotter. Why the hell would I want to sweat all day in dress shoes when I can wear the same Nike Frees that feel better and let more air in?

Doc
My feet sweat normally, but during workouts they’re literally drenched. No way am I going to put those same damp shoes back on after I’m showered and dry. Of course I don’t wear dress shoes.

lol
[/quote]

My feet actually don’t sweat much. I don’t even wear socks in my Nike Frees and I don’t even have a problem with foot odor most of the time. I guess I’m just lucky. I sweat all day long no matter what I’m doing. I WISH I could only sweat at the gym.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Iron Dwarf wrote:
Professor X wrote:
marty. wrote:
I second what chris says. Do you really want to wear your sweaty gym shoes for school and work too?

I wear the same shoes everywhere for the most part. I am amazed at those of you who apparently only sweat in the gym and no place else. Last week it got over 98 degrees around here and felt much hotter. Why the hell would I want to sweat all day in dress shoes when I can wear the same Nike Frees that feel better and let more air in?

Doc
My feet sweat normally, but during workouts they’re literally drenched. No way am I going to put those same damp shoes back on after I’m showered and dry. Of course I don’t wear dress shoes.

lol

My feet actually don’t sweat much. I don’t even wear socks in my Nike Frees and I don’t even have a problem with foot odor most of the time. I guess I’m just lucky. I sweat all day long no matter what I’m doing. I WISH I could only sweat at the gym.[/quote]

Hmm. My feet have no odor either… but I always attributed it to the fact that they sweat TOO much. I have workout shoes that I’ve sweated in for over 5 years and they still smell like rubber and leather.

lol

Chuck taylors used to be cheap , I mean less than $10 . I wore them everyday in high school

[quote]AverageGuy wrote:
Ct. Rockula wrote:
If you want a durable Chuck Taylor type shoe check a pair of wrestling shoes…I’ve had a pair for years that I wwear everywhere…i squat barefoot tho

You wear wrestling shoes everywhere? I actually already have wrestling shoes from when i use to wrestle and i use them. But i thought it was only good for deadlifts bec you are closer to the ground. I usually use the wrestling shoes for squats also but my ankles start to roll when i push my knees out hard and I thought the chucks would fix that since ppl say its so great for squating[/quote]

Yes, I do wear them everywhere

I always get that response lol. I gu3ess I’ve been blessed with bulletproof ankles because I’ve never had a problem. I even sprint in mine too!

I’ve seen teammates do the same for lifting though, just get a good wrap to secure your ankles and you should be set

and personally, I think you want a degree of seperation from the ground while doing Deads. I like to do mine standing on small elevated platform so I can get a full recruitment of the legs…hat extra distance kills!

that is if your not doing PL

x2 on the fivefingers
had mine for about 3 months and they are great, but absolutely get a size or two smaller they do strech

all i know is i wear my chucks damn near everyday (and lift in them) and the first pair i had lasted over a year before i had to get new ones.

I only lift in mine. If your getting them for the gym why are you paying so much? $55 for a pair of Chucks is prety high. I think mine were $30-40 which is still expensive in my opinion. They are canvas and rubber… I guess they charge so much because they are in style and parents will pay it for their kids.

[quote]Brett295 wrote:
I only lift in mine. If your getting them for the gym why are you paying so much? $55 for a pair of Chucks is prety high. I think mine were $30-40 which is still expensive in my opinion. They are canvas and rubber… I guess they charge so much because they are in style and parents will pay it for their kids. [/quote]

I wore chucks all of the way through college…BECAUSE they only cost 30 bucks or less. People are getting ripped off. These shoes must be the cheapest ones to make on the whole market.

I’ve been wearing the same pair of Chucks for lifting almost exclusively for about 1.5 years now, and I just ordered a new pair because the eyelets are starting to pull out. I paid $36, “free” shipping, but I remember thinking they were about $30 when I bought them at the mall.

[quote]amphibian wrote:
I don’t like chucks for every day wear, but I’m older and suffered weight bearing changes over a 24 year career. I just wear mine for squats and deads and opt for something with more support at other times.
Been using my current pair for about 7 months and they seem fine.[/quote]

I agree with you. I wear my chucks for when i do legs at the gym, but they don’t offer me enough support for wearing them around all day.

also, don’t pay $55, that’s a total rip off. i usually pay between $30-35 and there’s no reason to spend more.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
Chuck Taylors. I wore those as a boy back in the 60s. No way am I wearing those cheap stupid looking shoes NOW.

Besides, I squat wide stance and have wide feet, and Chucks have terrible lateral stability. And from some of the pics I’ve seen, very large men look utterly ridiculous in Chucks… kind of like a hippo in ballet shoes.

lol[/quote]

yeah people try to make fun of me for wearing chucks because they look legit like clown shoes b/c i wear a size 13

i still wear them though, and tell everyone else to fuck off.

im curious as to why people dont wear skateboard shoes at the gym honestly.

they’re flat soled and have extra cushion for the ankles. i think im going to have to start a new trend in gym shoes.

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
Iron Dwarf wrote:
Chuck Taylors. I wore those as a boy back in the 60s. No way am I wearing those cheap stupid looking shoes NOW.

Besides, I squat wide stance and have wide feet, and Chucks have terrible lateral stability. And from some of the pics I’ve seen, very large men look utterly ridiculous in Chucks… kind of like a hippo in ballet shoes.

lol

yeah people try to make fun of me for wearing chucks because they look legit like clown shoes b/c i wear a size 13

i still wear them though, and tell everyone else to fuck off.

they’re flat soled and have extra cushion for the ankles. i think im going to have to start a new trend in gym shoes.[/quote]

I wear a size 13 also and Chucks over maybe a size 10 just look flat out stupid…like they belong in a circus. I tried the 14’s on once and the sales lady just handed me a big red rubber nose and asked if I could stand outside with some balloons.

“im curious as to why people dont wear skateboard shoes at the gym honestly.”

Freedom of choice? Trial and error?

Personally I never cared. I used to strap on my combat boots and lift until I puked, passed out, or was paralyzed. That’s what all the other guys I looked up to were doing and it worked.
I tried the chucks because of a recommendation I read here. Dunno what I’ll use when they wear out.

I paid $45 for chuck slip-ons, because I’m too lazy to tie them. Total waste of money, they fit perfect and a week later they stretch and ungodly amount and literally fall off as you walk. Can’t wear them to the gym for fear of crippling my legs on the leg press, or having my foot slide out of them sideways when squatting and crushing myself to death.

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:

they’re flat soled and have extra cushion for the ankles. i think im going to have to start a new trend in gym shoes.[/quote]

Actually, Live… that’s exactly what I wear. They’re built for lateral movement and are quite durable. At least the leather kind are… not those flimsy slip-on surfer kind.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
I tried the 14’s on once and the sales lady just handed me a big red rubber nose and asked if I could stand outside with some balloons. [/quote]

LMFAO!!!

if you only want one pair of shoes to lift and live in, get the vibrams (easy conversation start with the ladies) or get a pair of nike free’s…

Does anyone lift barefoot/in socks? That’s what I do. I suppose there would be restrictions on lifting barefoot in a public gym, but I work out at home so I can lift in the nude if I wanted. Which I have done before. Not as fun as it sounds, especially when your ass starts to get sweaty.

[quote]Ratchet wrote:
IMHO, I love my Vibriam Five Fingers barefoot shoes… After I got a few pairs of Injinji socks to go with them I fell in love and wear them basically every day other then when we do steel / aluminum pours and I have to wear my steel toed leather shoes…

I’ve had them for 7 months and they look new, only thing is get them a size smaller as they stretch a little after about two weeks…

link:

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/

[/quote]

Stupidest looking pair of fucking shoes I have ever seen. You guys are commenting how Chuck’s look dumb?

BTW I wear skate shoes for deads, frees for squats, and just regular nike shoes for everything else.