T Nation

Chuck Liddell

with tonight’s knockout loss should Chuck Liddell retire?

his last few fights have been horrible

and he’s only getting older an the talent at 205 is incredible

what do you guys think is next for the Iceman

the iceman should pick out his casket and settle down early. IMO shogun is a floppy cock and shouldn’t be winning fights. The fact that Liddell has continued to perform poorly against second rate, washed up dirtbags clearly suggests he is ready to retire. But hey, thats just my opinion.

On a side note, Silva’s performance was ridiculous. People think hes the best pound for pound fighter in the world but he couldnt even finish his opponent tonight. What bugs me is that the commentators blame Thales for not standing up and striking, aka playing into silvas game, but they neglect the fact that silva refused to pursue any ground game, aka thales game. i apologize for shifting topic their, just had to rant after watching that pathetic event.

[quote]MMA-Valor wrote:
the iceman should pick out his casket and settle down early. IMO shogun is a floppy cock and shouldn’t be winning fights. The fact that Liddell has continued to perform poorly against second rate, washed up dirtbags clearly suggests he is ready to retire. But hey, thats just my opinion. On a side note, Silva’s performance was ridiculous. People think hes the best pound for pound fighter in the world but he couldnt even finish his opponent tonight. What bugs me is that the commentators blame Thales for not standing up and striking, aka playing into silvas game, but they neglect the fact that silva refused to pursue any ground game, aka thales game. i apologize for shifting topic their, just had to rant after watching that pathetic event.[/quote]

i agree that the silva fight deserves a rant…i’m just glad i didn’t have to pay for these fights…

but im def looking forward to lesnar mir 2

well back on topic…chuck,tito,and for damn sure anybody named shamrock needs to retire already…they were pioneers but what have they done lately…nothing

if anything i see chuck and tito getting elite xc/strikeforce contracts…

best thing outta that organization is Gina Carano

Flopping around like a dead fish is not a game plan.

And Shogun is not washed up.

[quote]thefatlineman wrote:

best thing outta that organization is Gina Carano [/quote]

How so?

shogun is nothing special,and carano is just really hot lol but some of the lesser known fighters from strikeforce give pretty descent shows,i just hate how they hype washed up ufc fighters…

damn i thought this was a chuck norris thread!

anyways…chuch norris can slam revolving doors!!!

I thought this was going to be a thread about the TV show.

It’s pretty clear that he’s shot. Douchebag Dana white is doing a favor by telling him that he’s done.

[quote]MMA-Valor wrote:

On a side note, Silva’s performance was ridiculous. People think hes the best pound for pound fighter in the world but he couldnt even finish his opponent tonight. What bugs me is that the commentators blame Thales for not standing up and striking, aka playing into silvas game, but they neglect the fact that silva refused to pursue any ground game, aka thales game. i apologize for shifting topic their, just had to rant after watching that pathetic event.[/quote]

What the hell? I hope you don’t actually fight. Thales wasn’t playing his own game, he was laying on the ground like an idiot. He wants to play the ground game? Than take Silva the fuck down, don’t just lie on your back and hope Silva decides to come on down with you. If he can’t take Silva down to the ground, oh well, he’s not good enough at his game than.

Fights start on the feet, they generally don’t start with one guy laying on his back waiting for the other guy to lay down with him. That’s just how it is, if Thales doesn’t like that, than he should quit MMA and compete in grappling competitions instead. Why the fuck would someone criticize Silva for not willingly giving up his game plan of standing up, just so he can lay down and grapple with a guy who isn’t good enough to actually take him down?

[quote]thefatlineman wrote:
i just hate how they hype washed up ufc fighters…[/quote]

Ahh… welcome to the boxing syndrome…

Firstly I agree with counterfeitsoda. Secondly, to mma-valor and fatlineman: When you two are done rubbing your dicks together, and can say something intelligent you can rejoin the conversation. You Chuck’s performance tonight probably put his career to an end, but his last few fights (bar tonight) have NOT been horrible! FUCK!

He went three rounds with Keiht Jardine, and Wanderlei Silva. Fucking slug fests the both of them! He was winning the fight against Rashad, but the younger faster guy won that fight. If you watch how chuck got ko’d by Rashad you’d see it was because he: A) was baited in to throwing a big right uppercut, and B) dropped his left hand when he did. And Silva IS the best lb for lb, that’s why nobody will stand and strike with him. Hell leites didn’t even throw a few feints to set up his shots, he just started jumping backward and falling on his ass.

Chuck won’t keep his hands up, he doesn’t check the leg kicks which freeze his movement and his head can’t take a good punch anymore.

I really wanted him to win, but with the competition and amount of talent in the LHW division being high as fuck, I don’t see a way for him to return there anymore.

He will be remembered as a great fighter though and it’s more than most can ever hope for.

Shogun has had knee problems which have affected his training and his cardio as a result. It looks like he got back on track this time out though. Saying he is nothing special shows nothing but your ignorance of the sport.

Also the part about Anderson’s fight…the UFC needs to allow stomps, kicks, and knees to the head if they are going to allow fighters to fall to their ass without any penalties for flopping.

Chuck didn’t look “bad” – until he got knocked out. I think the game has just evolved and passed him by. A prime (or at least close to prime) Shogun is just too multi-faceted for Chuck, and he showed it last night. It was pretty clear that the knee surgeries had kept Shogun from being able to do proper cardio training for has past couple of fights, but he seemed back on point in this fight. In the last Coleman fight he was clearly winded by the end of the first round.

Though it was only a 1-round fight so we didn’t get to see all of his arsenal, Shogun looked great: Great (FAST) kicks, both low and high, takedowns, submission attempts, keeping Chuck guessing . . . he looked great again, like he might just start running his way to the top of the LHW division if he keeps it up. (BTW, I’d LOVE to see a Shogun vs. Machida fight, just because I think that’s a REALLY interesting stylistic matchup.)

As for Anderson/Leites, Anderson proved loud and clear in that fight that he is NOT the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world. Why? Because the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world doesn’t fear any other fighter’s ground game and therefore insist on keeping the fight standing because he knows that’s the only place he’s got a chance. Nor does he fear any other fighter’s striking game and therefore keep taking the fight to the ground because he knows that’s his only hope.

That man is Fedor. He had no problem going to the ground with world-class BJJ blackbelts like Big Nog, and knocking the living fuck out of them once he got them to the ground. He had no problem standing with vaunted strikers like CroCop, Sylvia and Arlovski and clobbering the living fuck out of them when he did so. He can do it ALL, and he can do it all better than them. He’s NEVER lost, and he (especially lately) finishes fights. Often very quickly.

SOMEONE is going to beat Anderson Silva in his next few fights, and it’s going to be someone with a great ground game who can take him down and beat him there. He’s great, but he’s beatable.

Can’t say the same about Fedor at present.

[quote]Damici wrote:
As for Anderson/Leites, Anderson proved loud and clear in that fight that he is NOT the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world. Why? Because the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world doesn’t fear any other fighter’s ground game and therefore insist on keeping the fight standing because he knows that’s the only place he’s got a chance. Nor does he fear any other fighter’s striking game and therefore keep taking the fight to the ground because he knows that’s his only hope.

That man is Fedor. He had no problem going to the ground with world-class BJJ blackbelts like Big Nog, and knocking the living fuck out of them once he got them to the ground. He had no problem standing with vaunted strikers like CroCop, Sylvia and Arlovski and clobbering the living fuck out of them when he did so. He can do it ALL, and he can do it all better than them. He’s NEVER lost, and he (especially lately) finishes fights. Often very quickly.
[/quote]

This. Fucking THIS.
Fedor takes it to his opponent and is looking for that finish every time. Silva just seems to go for the decision unless they hand him a gift wrapped finish.

Fedor equals sambo judo
Anderson equals Striker
No shit Fedor is going to try and take care of business on the ground

Except when he fought some great strikers: CroCop, Sylvia, Arlovski . . .

[quote]drewh wrote:
Fedor equals sambo judo
Anderson equals Striker
No shit Fedor is going to try and take care of business on the ground[/quote]

Chuck may not be the same fighter he once was… but I think its still in the UFC’s best interests to have him fight… people STILL love Chuck… it was so loud when he came out, much louder than when Silva came out. Chuck still has a draw, win or lose, people love to see his fighting style and will pay money to see Chuck… for gods sake, sadly that was one of the best (if not THE best) fight of then night…