T Nation

Chrysler Closing Plants for a Month

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2008/12/chrysler-closing-all-30-plants-for-a-month.html

I bet the UAW still gets paid though…

I have gotten VERY cynical of Politicians…

Do you think all this “tough talk” at the Car Companies is just posturing to try and appease the public; and that ultimately the politicians will throw BILLIONS the Car Companies way?

(Oh…what am I THINKING? Of COURSE 95% of you guys think that Obama will do just that! My bad!)

Seriously;

What do you guys think?

Mufasa

Shut them down and put up the “For Sale” sign.

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
I have gotten VERY cynical of Politicians…

Do you think all this “tough talk” at the Car Companies is just posturing to try and appease the public; and that ultimately the politicians will throw BILLIONS the Car Companies way?

(Oh…what am I THINKING? Of COURSE 95% of you guys think that Obama will do just that! My bad!)

Seriously;

What do you guys think?

Mufasa[/quote]

Obama has been pretty open about his support for bailing those companies out, I don’t see why the part in paranthesis was even necesary.

The nation’s auto workers are not the only people suffering in this economic crisis. Many industries are putting a lot of hard working people on the street just to survive.

I’m not a fan of the UAW or unions in general because in my opinion they support pay and benefits in excess of the norm.

Teachers, firefighters and cops all have strong unions, and their non-salary benefits put most other workers’ benefit packages to shame. We all work hard for our paychecks, but these groups make out like bandits when it comes to medical insurance and retirement benefits. That is what is killing the US auto industry.

Oh…

Maybe I’m just getting ready for all the Obama bullshit when this is a crisis that has been in the making for years…

Mufasa

I am thinking about this, and does anyone else think that this plant closing is just ‘posturing’ by Chrysler to try and get congress to just give them the money?

Here is an opinion piece I read about these big three shenanigans, pretty good.
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601039&sid=aM9JonE2oivk&refer=columnist_weil

[quote]eric_lacrosse wrote:
We all work hard for our paychecks, but these groups make out like bandits when it comes to medical insurance and retirement benefits.
[/quote]

Evidently, they are smarter since they went with the best lobbyists in town.

Yay democracy! Hooray for capitalism!

I do believe they are still getting paid, or at least receiving a percentage of there pay. Can anyone back up my claims, if so this is insipid to the upmost degree.
It’s just silly.