T Nation

Chronic Wrist Pain

My right wrist has been hurting me for a while, and since I don’t have any health insurance I’ve done what I can to try and fix it. I’ve been using my left hand as much as possible, and I even stopped lifting weights for an entire month. I’ve tried icing it, using heated gel packs, and I also use wrist wraps whenever I train. I could be lifting at least three times a week, but because of the pain I’m restricted to just once a week.

I’m already in a lot of debt so I can’t afford to go to the doctor right now. Have any of you experienced such pain, and if so what did you do to mend the problem?

How long have you had this pain? I had a wrist pain that hurt pretty bad from tweaking it with a shity power clean and push press. Wrist wraps helped a lot after though. I had to take a week off upper body, hurt to just move it. Yet icing it for a week and resting and it was strong enough to train with wraps after that-light weight though for another week avoiding the exercises that hurt it-.

If its been longer then a week you might have something more serious like tendinitis in your wrist.

The best bet is not to work out anything involving your wrist for a week-you can prob do machines for legs ext-, keep it immobile and ice it a lot. Also up your fish oil in take a lot. This is really only thing you can do if you can’t see a doctor. Best bet is doctor though.

I take Flameout every day. I’ve had the pain for several months, since spring maybe. I stopped lifting for an entire month but that made little difference.

It’s not terrible pain, just chronic. I could live with it but I’m just afraid of it getting worse.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Did you hurt it somehow (lifting, hitting a heavybag, etc) or did you just wake up with pain?

Could be a ligament tear, I had one that required surgery. Look for a small lump on the inside (palm) of the wrist.

[quote]AlteredState wrote:
Well start by telling us where the pain is.

What makes it worse or better. Is is burning, aching, numbness, sharp, dull, allwatys there, worse at night or in the morning.

“I have wrist pain” is about the least helpfull info you could give (no offence).

I’m not going to make any jokes about “Which hand do you wank with” ;)[/quote]

The pain goes from about the bottom of my palm and maybe six inches into my forearm. It’s a dull pain most of the time, but it’s almost always there. It hurt the most a day or two after lifting weights, but also if I woke up without wearing some form of wrist support. It aches when I apply pressure on it, as well. So this wrist support that I bought can’t be put on too tight. I’ve started using my left hand at work and for uh, everything else pretty much. As much as I can. I’ve been doing that for months now.

[quote]BJ* wrote:
Did you hurt it somehow (lifting, hitting a heavybag, etc) or did you just wake up with pain?

[/quote]

I don’t recall any particular incident that brought about the pain.

[quote]Mark06C6 wrote:
Could be a ligament tear, I had one that required surgery. Look for a small lump on the inside (palm) of the wrist.[/quote]

Hmm, not feeling any lumps there.

One thing that I’ve noticed is that the large bone on my right wrist sticks out more than the one on my left. Or sticks up more, on the back-side of my hand.

I would if I could, believe me. Student loan bills and other things have put me in debt and I have no health insurance. And if I could afford a visit to a clinic, I wouldn’t be able to afford to get an x-ray or MRI or surgery.

Call up your loan holder and tell them whats up. See if you can put a temporary hold on your loans.

If you don’t think that will fly, lie to them. Tell them you lost your job.

How much do xrays cost?

Big change in weather today and my wrist is hurting more than usual. It’s normally a subtle pain but now it’s much more acute. I know that people with arthritis and other chronic muscle and joint pains are sensitive to major weather changes, and I have sometimes gotten headaches, but this is different.

[quote]AlteredState wrote:
I strongly suggest you go and see a doctor.

Constant pain is not a very good prognostic indicator.

You have stopped using your dominant arm. This should tell you something.

Put it this way, If you came to the clinic to see me, I would probably want to xray or mri your wrist, to check for degeneration or serious pathology.[/quote]

I hadt he same pain
directly under my thumb

come to find out it was broken.

go have it looked at
I dont know where youa re locaked but just because you have student loans dosent mean you cant see a doc.
I know here if you go the ER they have to treat you no mater if you can pay or not
and then they can help you sign up for state benefits if you need them and qualify.

I claimed my wrist as a work injury which was covered by workmans comp which I paid for every week out of my checks anyways.

are you still in school? How is the job search going? Medical bills can be a bitch without health insurance. I had to just hold out for years while I was temping, if the pain is unbearable, your going to have to breakdown and get whatever job you can just to get medical insurance.

The only other option is to search hard for a doctor who works with cash patients, keep asking around yoru area, ask the clinic, try craig list EVERYTHING. Even then you will only be able to find out what’s wrong, surgeries and such cost wayyyyy too much, for someone who can’t afford to pay their college loans.

As far as taking care of it yourself, get a good compression wrap from the drug store. Don’t work out for a few days, just wear the compression wrap, if the pain starts to feel better then it might just be slight ligament damage in which case you don’t NEEEEEEED a doctor although one is always better.

If it feels the exact same, it’s more likely to be bone. If it’s the first, it would be best to minimizing the amount of typing and moving the mouse with that hand that you do. Keep the wrap on still and begin to lightly stretch it out, and do rehab work on it.