T Nation

Chronic Tibial Tuberosity Pain (Still)

Hi,
I used to have this type of pain on both knees so I decided to Google it. I knew it wasn’t Osgood.
After some time, I thought it could simply be inflammation, so I started eating anti-inflammatory foods and drinks.
Everyday I drank green tea and ate a dozen of blueberries. After a few days I no longer felt pain.
Nowadays I still drink green tea and once in a while eat blueberries. The pain never returned.
I hope this information helps you guys, and hopefully your pain stops.
Wish you guys the best,
Decas

hi,
had the same issue twice (once on each leg) and managed to beat it twice. This injury is really a pain in the ass, especially because you can make so many mistakes to make it worse. The treatment is pretty simple, but you just have to be VERY patient. I hope this can help somebody, as there is not much about this on the internet.

History (Maybe you can find yourself in here):
I have problems with the patellar tendon now for about 3-4 years. In addition to the pain in the tibial tuberosity, i also had the classic signs of a patellar tendonitis (jumpers knee), but just on the left leg. It all started with that pinpoint pain on the tibial tuberosity at the right leg. When i first had this problem i just thought if i stop training i would be able to come back pretty fast. (I’m playing football/soccer) So i rested as the season was over, the pain was gone, but after starting training again the pain was even worse then before. At this point i had no idea what was wrong, after struggling with it for a while (half a year where it actually got better but every time i started to train it was back) i visited a doctor. The simple explanation he gave me:“You can’t just start with 100% percent, you need to tackle it slowly!” And that i did, and after one month the pain was actually completely gone and didn’t come back. After a pain free year or so, the pain started at the other knee. This time it were the classic symptoms of the jumpers knee. Now that i had experience with the injury, i waited for it to heal and started my training slowly. The pain wasn’t completely gone but i managed to play without a problem. I hoped that eventually the remaining pain would go away, as it wasn’t getting worse when i played. BIG MISTAKE! The injury got worse and worse and at the end of the season the patellar tendonitis was really bad. Stopping the training made it even worse and there was no way i could play (At this moment my patellar tendon at the left knee was twice as big as the one of the right knee). So this time i decided to actually let it heal completely, and i rested for four and a half months. I got it in control and when i started training again (very carefully, i planned to stop the second i felt uncomfortable) i did too much and i got the pain in the tibial tuberosity (now in the left knee). That was really frustrating as i was as cautious as i could be, but i just concentrated on the symptoms of the jumpers knee but i had never problems on the tibial tuberosity (on the left knee). The pain was so heavy, that i couldn’t lift my leg without pain. But this time i knew how to handle it and it took me 3 and a half month to get rid of it and now I’m pain free.

Where was the pain:
Pattelar tendonitis(jumpers knee)
I had pain on the top of the patellar tendon (Connection to patella, middle), and on the bottom (Connection to tibia, left,right,middle). I could generate the pain through one leg squads, and pressure with a finger)

Tibial Tuberosity Pain:
Local point on the outside of the Tibial Tuberosity. You can basically pinpoint the pain to an exact position. Symptoms a very similar to that of morbus osgood schlatter, but i never had it when i was young. Visible knee bump.

TREATMENT:
First of all before you read this. I’m not a doctor and this is just my experience of the injury, you should visit a doctor to find the roots of the problem! Maybe you can even find a faster way to comeback!

Patellar tendonitis (jumpers knee):
I believe this injury is heavily connected to the pain in the tibial tuberosity, so i also want to write the treatment for it, as it is also very frustrating. I want to share this site, as it suggests basically everything that i found out to be helpful by myself:

If you have patellar tendonitis follow the instructions on this page, do everything as it says and you will be able to get rid of the pain as fast as possible. I wish i had found this site before i had to learn things the hard way.
For me stretching and the eccentric exercises were key to get rid of patellar tendonitis!
IMPORTANT: Do not start to early (i really mean it, it costed me months). Only start when the pain is completely gone (test it in every way) and then start slowly.

Treatment for tibial Tuberosity:
Three things are key for healing it:

1. REST
  2. STRETCHING
  3. SLOW COMEBACK

What is key here is REST. Believe me when i say you need to stop everything that you do, that somehow puts load on the knee. I never did it, but i believe the best thing would be to apply a leg cast. Where it is good for patellar tendonitis to do some exercises to strengthen the tendon, you shouldn’t do anything in this case. Do not test the pain too much (for example with leq squads, or applying pressure), it will only make the healing process take longer (this is something i could not do, i tested it every day ;), but it is not good ) And only when you can’t reproduce the pain through pressure or leg squads, you can begin to train again. Start with running a very short distance (1 mile / 1 km ) and slowly increase it when there is no pain afterwards. ( After two months of rest, i started to go running (1km) to test it, there was nearly no pain anymore (even while running) but on the next day the pain was slightly worse. So i stopped for another month! ) I will say it one last time, do not start too early and do not start the training where you left it, this is the mistake i made several times with this sort of injury and it will throw you back months in the healing process.

While you rest, you need to stretch your hip flexors. Especially the quads, but also psoas and groins. Stretch them like a madmen and try to use exercises that do not put load on the knee. I only stretched these muscles, but you should check which muscles of you are tightened. (maybe meet a physical therapist)

There isn’t really much more to it, after three and a half month of rest and stretching, my knee was back to being “normal”. Feel free to ask me questions if you have a similar problem.

PS: hope you can understand everything, my english isn’t the best when it comes to more medical terms.

@PB_Andy Any update on this? I had the same pain from squatting 4 times a week. It’s been lingering around for the last 4 months and I can’t seem to shake it. I know this is years later but I’d love to hear where your at with this injury.

Chris

I liked this video and thought it might help.

I am just now 41, and I am experiencing the exact same thing. Pain in the Tibial tuberosity, not the tendon. It feels bruised, touching it hurts. Squating, bending and plyo jumps definitely hurt it like hell. I didn’t have Osgood’s either as a kid, and although rare, some adults do get it.
Did you get any feedback on what you have? I am still waiting on a sports med doc
Thx!

Hey guys I am well recovered and squatting heaviest I have ever done after having problems in both knees. I’ll share some things I have noticed that have really put me on the road to recovery.

1. Be aware of your body. By this I mean don’t lift unless you have a neutral pelvis. Also, weight distribution through the foot. I used to have to much weight on outside of feet and over thought pushing through heels. I personally feel for me this was my downfall. Now I squat through my mid foot and want to push above my arch.
  2. Eccentric prehab. Before every workout I have a circuit I do which activates all muscles and also emphasises eccentric movements. I always do leg extensions with a slow controlled eccentric part.

Hope this helps. Honestly I think for me I was moving wrong the whole
Time and add weight to those heavy compound lifts you’ll find out for sure. Msg me if you want clarification. It’s a really average injury

Hi guys. Checking in … 5 years later. Yeah I have fixed it sometime in the summer of 2013.

First of all, I had an MRI in 2012 and I said that it was unremarkable. I’m not sure it was. Here are the results.

• There is grade 2 chondral thinning of the posterior lateral tibial
    plateau with underlying T2 hyperintense bone marrow change.

The results essentially mean the cartilage thickness has worn down in the exact area were my pain was.

At some point, the pain just stopped in the summer. What may have ultimately gave me relief, I think, is using the voodoo band above and below the knee (google Kelly Starrett for video), and doing squats with this band multiple times a day (2 minutes each time… if you do it right it is extremely uncomfortable). I did this for 2-3 weeks along with my chiropractor visits. I was also doing single-leg eccentrics squats on a slant board to build the tendon back up. I just woke up one day and the pain was gone… perhaps my body had fixed itself so to speak.

I’m wondering if my genetics are playing a part in my cartilage being broken down easily. I have had chronic low back pain for a year now and X-ray showed early degenerative disease of the facet joints at L4-L5 and L5-S1 (I’m 28). I used to compete in weightlifting so obviously it is an overuse issue but my technique was usually pretty damn good. Physical therapy / chiropractor has not worked, and I will get an MRI in a couple months. Unfortunately there is not a cure for arthritis and surgery is not really an option - stem cell therapy is something I’m looking into but insurance won’t cover a thing and it’s expensive as hell.

I have similar pain in my tibial tuberosity. I believe this was caused from a blow to my knee. I had little pain when the knee got hit, but the next day I began to develop severe pain while walking. It was swelling and bruising the day after the injury and got better. After nearly three weeks of no activities, the swelling, bruising, and pain became a lot worse. The pain shot to my calf one day, which caused me to nearly pass out. I have no pain when squatting, so I don’t know what it can be. I had Xrays on my knee and tibia and had no fracture. I went to a sports doctor and he told me I had patellar tendonitis, but I had PT before and this pain seems more severe and randomly popped up. I’m thinking I could have a bone contusion but I’m not sure

I know this post is quite old but I just wanted to share my success story:

I’ve had chronic pain at the tibial tuberosity for around a year. I was no longer able to play football, train legs at the gym and at times get out of bed or cross my legs. I think this came about through overuse and lack of stretching especially.

I rested it for months, would go back to playing football and it would be as severe as before. It’s important not to give up because there were times when I felt like I would never play again.

I firstly bought some insoles to correct any alignment issues. I stopped playing football but I started training legs again - focusing on leg lunges with a plate under the heel to mimic a decline surface. These helped moderately however the biggest thing in my recovery was stretching 1-2 times a day, everyday and strengthening glutes. You need to stretch the groins (by doing a leaning leg lunge and holding for 30 seconds), this really helped me feel a lot looser and certainly took strain off the knee.

Thanks for this addition. Can you be more specific on stretches? Any foam rolling? Any high rep leg work?Thanks Alot!

You can foam roll your quads if you like but I always find it painful and awkward.

I stretched without a foam roller, for quads lie down on your belly, bend a leg towards your glutenand pull with an arm to fully stretch. For groins, put one leg forward as far as possible, then put the other knee on the floor and hold. Do this for a week and you will definitely see improvement.

It’s important to stop thinking about the pain and touching the area that hurts - the pain may still be there but you can gradually start to play/function if you stretch and stop worrying about it.

Thanks, GSP

As for high rep work I just did body weight squats all the way down squeezing glutes on the way up - keep a wideish stance and knees wide apart, you want to try open up. Also I did some body weight glute strengthening : get on your elbows and knees as if you’re about to do a plank, lift one leg up straight towards the ceiling without bending, squeeze glutes throughout. Do till failure maybe two or three times a week.

Anybody still here? I have developed tibial tuberosity pain on my right leg. I went to the doctor today and he gave me a steroid pack, but I’m one of those that hates side effects. However, I have been stretching everyday and emphasizing getting my posterior chain in my legs up in strength, in order to take pressure off my quads. Stretching out my legs is the only time I don’t feel pain in the area when I do an air squat. I’ve been doing my regular workout routine, but with doing more stuff that doesn’t require leg drive (bench with feet on bench rather than on the floor or pull downs with “dead”
Legs). I also felt really good on it yesterday (didn’t air squat and took a rest day), but I played basketball and it made it more or less tight (I know I’m a fool). However, it didn’t really feel too painful playing on it. Today it feels a little aggravated but nothing too bad. Any other suggestions? I was also prescribed an anti-inflammatory gel that I am going to apply today and also plan on icing the area a lot. I hope this thread isn’t completely deceased. Haha.