Chronic Tibial Tuberosity Pain (Still)

That’s discouraging… sorry to hear that Andy,

On my part, I went to my phisio, she started with regular adjustment, then she did some electric accupunture, which was a terrible experience for me as it was extremelly painfull on the TT, then she gave me a couple of shots of a solution that I forgot the name of (sorry), and did some electric stimulation for it to work, and as if it was some sort of sorcery the pain went off.

She told me to rest for ten day and I had to see her again in ten days (today) and cancel all activity with the knee, even stairs, no caffeine either in any form. I feel my knee is WAY better than berfore although I haven’t “used” it. She prescribed one shot of betamethasone and some diclofenac pills up to my next visit (I don’t know if you need prescription for these in your country, we don’t here).

I returned to the Phisio today for follow up, I have a very little pain on the TT to the touch, but is very low and very specific to the kind of touch, I have a hard time finding the spot where is tender, but as I said, i’m feeling way better. She gave me another shot of the mysterious solution (sorry for not remembering the name, all I can recall is that I would find the medicine only in Mexico, Guatemala, Venezuela and Germany, and that it was alternative to regular medicine, she also prescribe some more diclofenac with some vitamin in an attemt to heal any damage on the nevers in the zone, and a two day rest.

Once I start using my knee, I’ll let you guys know of my progress.

take care,
Jr.

It’s good that you are feeling better. Maybe the solution is what they use in prolotherapy - dextrose and sterile water?

Well that’s disheartening. I have an appointment with Dr. Akin and will see what he can do for me. I’m in a moderate amount of pain, depending on the day, right on the tibial tuberosity of both legs.

I’ll keep updating.

[quote]hiccup wrote:
Well that’s disheartening. I have an appointment with Dr. Akin and will see what he can do for me. I’m in a moderate amount of pain, depending on the day, right on the tibial tuberosity of both legs.

I’ll keep updating.
[/quote]
Both legs? Did you have Osgood?

Andy, this thread is absolutely incredible, I really appreciate you sharing all of this info and I hope you find relief soon.

Have you seen the EFS Buddy Morris interviews on youtube? He basically goes through TKE progressions.

[quote]browndisaster wrote:
Andy, this thread is absolutely incredible, I really appreciate you sharing all of this info and I hope you find relief soon.

Have you seen the EFS Buddy Morris interviews on youtube? He basically goes through TKE progressions.[/quote]
I don’t buy all that lack of VMO stuff… why would that cause pain on the tibial tuberosity? Not only that, but I was an olympic lifter for 3 years, doing ATG squats multiple times throughout the week… my legs USED to be pretty damn muscular (see HUB pic), so a lack of ‘VMO strength’ makes no sense to me.

Hey Andy,

How’s your osgood schlatter? is it healed yet? i want to know how you get it healed… suggest me somthing.thx

[quote]atar wrote:
Hey Andy,

How’s your osgood schlatter? is it healed yet? i want to know how you get it healed… suggest me somthing.thx[/quote]
Never had Osgood-Schlatter as a child, so you have something different for me (even though we have the same symptoms). Osgood usually heals itself over time so you might just have to play the waiting game. I would see a doc and use a patellar tendon strap for now and see if that helps.

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

[quote]atar wrote:
Hey Andy,

How’s your osgood schlatter? is it healed yet? i want to know how you get it healed… suggest me somthing.thx[/quote]
Never had Osgood-Schlatter as a child, so you have something different for me (even though we have the same symptoms). Osgood usually heals itself over time so you might just have to play the waiting game. I would see a doc and use a patellar tendon strap for now and see if that helps.[/quote]

I think i have the same like your’s that it is good if i wear the strap and blazing hurt when i take it off. Are your’s TT healed yet?

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

[quote]atar wrote:
Hey Andy,

Never had Osgood-Schlatter as a child, so you have something different for me (even though we have the same symptoms). Osgood usually heals itself over time so you might just have to play the waiting game. I would see a doc and use a patellar tendon strap for now and see if that helps.[/quote]

I know u dont have OS but i think i have the same pain as your’s that when i wear strap during workout it good but when i take it off it blazing hurt… Are your TT healed yet? thx

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

Have you seen the EFS Buddy Morris interviews on youtube? He basically goes through TKE progressions.[/quote]
I don’t buy all that lack of VMO stuff… why would that cause pain on the tibial tuberosity? Not only that, but I was an olympic lifter for 3 years, doing ATG squats multiple times throughout the week… my legs USED to be pretty damn muscular (see HUB pic), so a lack of ‘VMO strength’ makes no sense to me.[/quote]
I think we have separate knee issues. I’ve noticed that my more problematic knee has a smaller VMO and feels unstable at times. Getting a VMO pump from TKEs fixes that temporarily. The links you posted have been very helpful btw so thank you.

Andy have you tried a light knee wrap while squatting? (broscience ahead) I have a friend who swears that it keeps his patella in place and works much better than sleeves

Andy have you tried a light knee wrap while squatting? (broscience ahead) I have a friend who swears that it keeps his patella in place and works much better than sleeves[/quote]
I haven’t. I may pick up some Ace bandages soon but I’d prefer to find out the cause of the issue.

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

[quote]hiccup wrote:

I’ll keep updating.
[/quote]
Both legs? Did you have Osgood?[/quote]

Sorry for the late reply. Was out of town and forgot about the thread.

I do have on both legs but my right is worse. Never had osgood’s

So, I thought I’d add my experiences so far.

Went to the Doc and he asked the standard questions. Then we got into why it’s been happening and if I’ve had any other injuries. Had a stress fracture in my right foot. Pulled my right hamstring and right hip playing football in highschool. Also I rolled my ankle/sprain it pretty bad when I was younger (also the right foot). Basically said everything has been screwed up on the right side and now my knee is the last to go.

He does some ART, stretches and he gave me exercises. He seems to really know his stuff so I’m optimistic. However, all that explained doesn’t directly explain why my left knee hurts at the PT insertion site.

I’ll continue to provide updates as I go to appointments.

[quote]PB Andy wrote:
It’s good that you are feeling better. Maybe the solution is what they use in prolotherapy - dextrose and sterile water?[/quote]

I’m afraid I have bad news, the pain is coming back… I called my physio to tell her about it, She told me the nerve is probably getting compressed again. I haven’t gone see her yet.

I googled about prolotherapy, and it seems like that’s what I’ve got from my physio, you’re probably right Andy. I think I might have used my knee too soon… maybe I need more sessions.

From I have being reading, the pain I get (burning and sharp pain) is from the nerve itself and not the tendon or tibial bone, It might be more nerve related… what do you guys think?

I’ll keep you guys posted.

Take care.

[quote]jrveroy wrote:

[quote]PB Andy wrote:
It’s good that you are feeling better. Maybe the solution is what they use in prolotherapy - dextrose and sterile water?[/quote]

I’m afraid I have bad news, the pain is coming back… I called my physio to tell her about it, She told me the nerve is probably getting compressed again. I haven’t gone see her yet.

I googled about prolotherapy, and it seems like that’s what I’ve got from my physio, you’re probably right Andy. I think I might have used my knee too soon… maybe I need more sessions.

From I have being reading, the pain I get (burning and sharp pain) is from the nerve itself and not the tendon or tibial bone, It might be more nerve related… what do you guys think?

I’ll keep you guys posted.

Take care.[/quote]
I’ve honestly never heard of why this pain would be nerve-related, and I’ve seen a lot of people and have done a lot of reading. But my pain is not burning really… definitely sharp pain on one localized spot on the bone, and very tender to touch it, but burning… no.

you should try ACE bandage… never open it untill 2 week and look the result… it seems work for me

Hello guys, just trying to update my status.

I gave up going to my physio since she wasn’t makeing much sence with my condition, so I went to look for a better peppeared physician. I run into his Doctor that has pleny experience with rehab and orthopedic treatments, she sent me make a new set of Xray, the result were shocking for me, I have a calsification on the patella tendon right where it joins with the tibial tuberosity, and I also have a fabella sesamoid behind my knee, we don’t know if its related with my aches yet.

She prescribed a series of treatments, beggining with a Electromagnetic Shock Wave treatment (ESWT) and dip tissue massages, depending on how the condition responds we’ll be either continiue the therapy or mke the muscles around stronger, if that doesn’t work, THEN we’ll consider surgery to remove the calsifications, something I’m trying to acoid at all cost… we are not treating the sesamoid yet as we will focus on the major issue that boders me.

I know my post isn’t that conclusive but maybe it helps somebody here, I’ll let you know how I progress… take care guys, be well, be better…

I just wanted to say thanks for the updates. I too have suffered from crippling tibial tuberosity pain starting just after high school until now (currently 24). I am reduced to trying to lift through the pain but have only been able to do extremely light weight (even BW squats hurt).
Please continue to update on the treatment status and good luck with treatments.