Chronic Sinusitis/Nasal Congestion

Hi,

Ok guys… I was diagnosed a chronic sinusitis last year. This is not caused by an allergy… I know this is a common condition so I wonder if I could get some feedback here

My doc prescribed me Nasacort, a nasal corticosteroid, which works but as soon as I stop it, the symptoms come back… I had a scanner, showed opacity in the sinuses, used some oral corticosteroids (prednisone), it was efficient but 2 weeks after, symptoms started again.

Every day I wake up with nasal congestion (one or two nostrils), I often have headaches, I get pain from intense squatting or benching due to bad oxygenation.

My main problem is that Nasacort seems to have nasty sides effects on long term, increasing risks of glaucoma and especially cataract, which sucks.

So I was wondering if anyone had some remedy / supplement, I don’t know… Shit is killing me…

Tried some essential oil inhaler, it works for 1 hour or 2, not more…

Any input appreciated…

Try Drinking more water, stay hydrated. Not a doctor, but it works for sinus infections (at least in one case).

If you find the magic bullet, please let me know. My son suffers from this also and it’s most brutal so you have my sympathies.

Is the Nasacort unlike Flonase that you would only use when symptoms appeared as opposed to every day? I didn’t think that corticosteroids were to be used that often but I’m not certain.

My son’s course of treatment has been Amoxicillan (1000mg, 2x’s day) along with Mucinex. He also has a Flonase inhaler to be used as needed.

As far as prevention, I doubt there is much you can do other than dust frequently, wash bedding often (once a week), avoid inhaling irritants and things of that nature. If you have a humidifier, you could try that. Also, you can sleep in a more upright position by using more pillows. The morning seems to be the worst time after laying on your back all night.

Sorry as that’s all that I have to offer. I hope you find something that works for you. If you find something different, please share.

[quote]comus3 wrote:
Try Drinking more water, stay hydrated. Not a doctor, but it works for sinus infections (at least in one case). [/quote]
this + avoiding large amounts of stimulants should help a bit

If you have access to a steam shower or steam sauna, use them.

Otherwise, take really, really long hot showers after coming home from work and in the AM.

While it is allegedly not an allergin, it’s at least an irritant. Use saline spray regularly and a neti-pot.

Wash your sheets 2X week and dry the heck out of them to kill dust mites.

I have the same thing. I’ve had a few surgeries trying to open sinus drainage passages, open up my airways, reduce the swelling of the turbinates. I’ve trialed lots of allergy meds and nasal corticosteroids (flonase, nasonex).

Nothing’s really worked except addressing it on a daily basis.

Long steamy showers help, blowing your nose in the shower. Lots of fluid intake helps (alcohol makes things worse). The neilmed saline sinus rinse helps. Sudafed – with pseudephedrine – helps, but it’s not an everyday solution. Afrin is a great product for very short duration use (like making it through a wedding and reception and the congestion from the alcohol).

It took surgery to fix mine. It did work, but it was not fun.

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:
If you have access to a steam shower or steam sauna, use them.

Otherwise, take really, really long hot showers after coming home from work and in the AM.

While it is allegedly not an allergin, it’s at least an irritant. Use saline spray regularly and a neti-pot.

Wash your sheets 2X week and dry the heck out of them to kill dust mites.[/quote]

The steamroom works miracles on sinuses.

[quote]RootX wrote:
Hi,

Ok guys… I was diagnosed a chronic sinusitis last year. This is not caused by an allergy… I know this is a common condition so I wonder if I could get some feedback here

My doc prescribed me Nasacort, a nasal corticosteroid, which works but as soon as I stop it, the symptoms come back… I had a scanner, showed opacity in the sinuses, used some oral corticosteroids (prednisone), it was efficient but 2 weeks after, symptoms started again.

Every day I wake up with nasal congestion (one or two nostrils), I often have headaches, I get pain from intense squatting or benching due to bad oxygenation.

My main problem is that Nasacort seems to have nasty sides effects on long term, increasing risks of glaucoma and especially cataract, which sucks.

So I was wondering if anyone had some remedy / supplement, I don’t know… Shit is killing me…

Any input appreciated…[/quote]
Was this from your primary Dr or an ENT?

You could have large nasal polyps and if you just were seen by your PCP maybe an evaluation by an ENT is a good idea.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]RootX wrote:
Hi,

You could have large nasal polyps and if you just were seen by your PCP maybe an evaluation by an ENT is a good idea. [/quote]

A netty pot helps a lot too.

[quote]pat wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]RootX wrote:
Hi,

You could have large nasal polyps and if you just were seen by your PCP maybe an evaluation by an ENT is a good idea. [/quote]

A netty pot helps a lot too.[/quote]

Yes it does Pat however if he has large nasal polyps they need to be removed, its a physical obstruction

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

x2. I’d assumed you’d already seen an ENT and allergist.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]pat wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]RootX wrote:
Hi,

Yes it does Pat however if he has large nasal polyps they need to be removed, its a physical obstruction[/quote]

Like I said, I had to get the surgery. There’s help, then there’s fixing it.

[quote]pat wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]pat wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]RootX wrote:
Hi,

Yes it does Pat however if he has large nasal polyps they need to be removed, its a physical obstruction[/quote]

Like I said, I had to get the surgery. There’s help, then there’s fixing it.[/quote]
Sorry missed that part about you getting surgery.

WTF have you not had surgery on :slight_smile:

I get sinus infections all too often. I had a sinus cat scan taken and I have a narrowing in the sinus passages on one side, it doesn’t drain so the bacteria causing the infections runs rampant. I use Patanase spray daily, also use one of those sinus rinse things (made by Neil Med) fairly often.

The saline solution should help. I do the hot shower thing every morning and breathe in the steam. I’m considering a nasal mask vaporizer, most drug stores like Rite Aid have them. My ENT is ready to do the surgery, but I’m changing medical plans so it has to go into 2013.

I can feel the sinus infections coming on, sinus pressure on one side, watering eye on that side too. Plus the headache from hell. Tylenol Sinus or the store generics work on that. Regular Advil, Aleve doesn’t work on me.

Rob

Well I am pretty sure it s caused by pollution… When I go to mountains or country the symptoms disappear.

I went to the ENT, there is no physical obstruction, but problems to drain bacteria. Surgery is possible however he is not sure of the result in my case…

I ordered the Sinus Rinse thing in order to replace the corticosteroids… Will try the steam room and hot shower soon.

Beachguy, same for me : I can feel it coming on one side, pain around the eye, and headache from hell… Ibuprofen 400mg relieves symptoms for me. Aspirin has no effect whatsoever, neither do Tylenol.

Surprisingly, sex ease the pain too.