T Nation

Chronic Marijuana Use ?

I’m currently on the Waterbury Method and will follow it up with The Art of Waterbury & Poliquin’s Lactic Acid Training or 10x3 FFL.

I take Powerdrive Pre workout and Surge Post workout. I take whey protein throughout the day and Metabolic Drive in the evenings before bed.

I also smoke marijuana every night before I go to bed.

My question is: Will marijuana use hinder my progress or hold me back from optimal gains? Or can it interact negatively with the my current supplementation?

I’ve heard several different opinions on this and would like to know what you knowledgeable folks at T-Nation think.

Thanks!

Yes it will hurt your gains,by limiting your lungs air capacity each breath you take is shorter then normal and while you are working out that means less air can get to your muscles so lactic acid sets in before you hit your optimal range.

Anyone see the problem with that logic?

Search for the subject; there are a lot of threads about this specific thing.

My own opinion tends to be towards ‘moderation’ in all aspects, of everything (except working out, RAWR).

Smoking it every night before bed is problematic, not for how it impacts your performance at the gym, but more because of the fact that it’s a daily thing. Probably not the wisest choice; unless there’s some sort of medical justification for it, I’d venture to say you should try to cut back as much as possible.

There have been some studies that implicate marijuana lowering free testosterone levels.

There are also studies which demonstrate marijuana to be a bronchodilator, too (which would just make running times better).

That said, if you are serious about fitness and lifting, the two activites are mutually exclusive: smoke up every night before bed, but you won’t be making the most of your workout. When you decide it’s time to go ‘balls to the wall,’ cut the pot out.

For optimal gains, you should smoke it just before you lift. If your cutting, add a little crank to it too.

As you prob already know smoking anything will result in vasoconstriction, which is a bad thing when it comes to bb. It will also reduce test levels and can lead to motivation problems etc., but it really depends on how much you are smoking and in what form. If you took a couple swats of dank off of a water bong once a day, I don’t think it would have as much if any impact. As for the interactions, who knows? It might, it might not.

I use to be a heavy smoke for years, but I gave it up for religious reasons and I could not control usage. I did get the best sleep of my life while using it, but the negative impacts it had in general outweighed any benefits.

Do you want lifting to supplement your life or do you want your life to supplement your lifting?

[quote]Avoids Roids wrote:
For optimal gains, you should smoke it just before you lift. If your cutting, add a little crank to it too.[/quote]

BEST reply
TOPS lol

in all honesty cut it out for a week and u will see the difference in performance
then decide:
do i really need to blaze every night?

prbably not (at least if ur serious about the gym)

gl.

Give me a break. Some stoner chimes in with his first post and asks if daily drug use effect his goals.

Answer: YES.

No, I’m not going to quote some scientific study, but in general terms, smoking dope every night will have detrimental effects on your life. My advice, pick one or the other. Live healthy or live stupid. It’s a free country.

If you choose dope, please go find another website.

eh, one joint a day? Come on, won’t hold back any gains at all.

Won’t effect fat loss or gain.

Won’t mess with test levels.

The only thing it will do long term is it will cause lung cancer.

In reality the answer is NO. That’s right NO. This is an issue to deep to explain and go into, but rest assured that a light smoke before bed will accelarate your gains. You’ll sleep better, spend most of that time in REM. The vasodialation effect will have your taking in much more oxygen and you’ll regenerate faster.

It’s only a problem when your psychological disposition is that of an addict. So if you get super stoned nightly on a powerfull indica, it may be a slight problem. Other then that you’re good to go. As long as you feel you’re making progress, wake up feeling good you’re golden.

Cannabis has been so demonised that the very notion of it actually being good for you blows some poeples receptors. Use your own instincts.

[quote]Nicholas F wrote:

The only thing it will do long term is it will cause lung cancer. [/quote]

Plese do some thinking for yourself and stop parroting BS you’ve been spoon fed all your life.

I think today’s strong words say it nicely.

our time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma – which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of other’s opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary. – Steve Jobs

[quote]Gregus wrote:
In reality the answer is NO. That’s right NO. This is an issue to deep to explain and go into, but rest assured that a light smoke before bed will accelarate your gains. You’ll sleep better, spend most of that time in REM. The vasodialation effect will have your taking in much more oxygen and you’ll regenerate faster.

It’s only a problem when your psychological disposition is that of an addict. So if you get super stoned nightly on a powerfull indica, it may be a slight problem. Other then that you’re good to go. As long as you feel you’re making progress, wake up feeling good you’re golden.

Cannabis has been so demonised that the very notion of it actually being good for you blows some poeples receptors. Use your own instincts. [/quote]

I whole heartedly agree with this.

Physiologically speaking, it has pros and cons. It may aid in muscle recovery by acting as a relaxant but it may also reduce your lung’s air capacity.

I think the most important factor in your decision to smoke marijuana is how it affects you personally on a psychological level.

I know for me, that when I smoke up late just before bed, a feeling of grogginess and laziness carries over into the next day. And while I may fall asleep faster, I question the restorative quality of the sleep.

My suggestion is for you to experiment with going to bed sober and note the differences in the quality of your sleep, and your motivation levels the next day. You may be surprised by your findings.

But if you’ve been in the habit of smoking up before bed a long time, be warned, the first couple of nights won’t be pleasant. You’ll probably toss and turn in bed, wake up in the middle of the night and miss the whole ritualist aspect of it. But after a week or so, you’ll adjust.

Well if your going to smoke, why not save your lungs and get some protein too. Make Protein Pot Browies / cookies instead.

Question, dosnt pot slow your metabolism?

[quote]Nicholas F wrote:

The only thing it will do long term is it will cause lung cancer. [/quote]

“Donald Tashkin, a UCLA medical with funding from the NIH’s National Institute on Drug Abuse, looked at more than 1,200 people with cancers typically associated with cigarette smoking and a control group of more than 1,000 people without cancer. To his surprise, he found no link between marijuana and increased risk of cancer, even among the heaviest pot smokers. The results of Tashkin’s study, the largest of its kind that’s been done, will soon appear in the journal Cancer Epidemiology Biomarker and Prevention.”

and

“Animal studies have shown that THC has an inhibitory effect on a number of cancers. Marijuana also contains dozens of active cannabinoids, several of which have been shown to block cancer cell growth.”

-from an article by Ryan Grim on Slate.com at
http://www.slate.com/id/2146214

Dude, do whatever the fuck you want. The people bashing the chronic are the same people who think abstinence is the safest form of sex.

[quote]smokey13 wrote:

“Donald Tashkin, a UCLA medical with funding from the NIH’s National Institute on Drug Abuse, looked at more than 1,200 people with cancers typically associated with cigarette smoking and a control group of more than 1,000 people without cancer. To his surprise, he found no link between marijuana and increased risk of cancer, even among the heaviest pot smokers. The results of Tashkin’s study, the largest of its kind that’s been done, will soon appear in the journal Cancer Epidemiology Biomarker and Prevention.”

and

“Animal studies have shown that THC has an inhibitory effect on a number of cancers. Marijuana also contains dozens of active cannabinoids, several of which have been shown to block cancer cell growth.”

http://www.slate.com/id/2146214[/quote]

I don’t care if it’s entirely true or not, but that is enough reason to toke everyday for me. Too bad I can’t :frowning: God damn drug tests.

[quote]jbodzin wrote:
Question, dosnt pot slow your metabolism?[/quote]

I’m not entirely certain but I’d say that if anything it accelerates your metabolism. Your heart rate increases when you smoke marijuana as does your appetite.

[quote]smokey13 wrote:
Nicholas F wrote:

The only thing it will do long term is it will cause lung cancer.

and

http://www.slate.com/id/2146214[/quote]

I have also heard this. And there is an article on it just about every other month in flex I believe. Or one of the other mags that has the little news blurbs in it.