Christmas Only for the Religious?

should christmas only be celebrated by religious people, knowing that it is when jesus christ was born, or is it a holiday for everyone?

it was a thought that wondered in my mind prior to christmas.

I personally think it makes no sense for someone to claim to be an atheist but then turn around and celebrate a holiday based in religion. It is hypocritical and implies someone wants their cake and eat it too. It leads to kids being raised not knowing what many of those symbols represent.

I wouldn’t celebrate a jewish holiday regardless of how badly I wanted presents for several days in a row.

I don’t believe that Christmas is “under attack” like O’reilly seems to believe. However, it doesn’t do anyone any good to turn this holiday into some godless tradition of spending as much money as possible on crap most people don’t need while yelling, “Happy Holidays” as if religion was never a part of it.

I feel that if you are going to reject the idea of God, then reject all of it. Don’t jump in and out whenever it benefits you to do so and then turn around and degrade religion and those who are religious.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
I personally think it makes no sense for someone to claim to be an atheist but then turn around and celebrate a holiday based in religion. It is hypocritical and implies someone wants their cake and eat it too. It leads to kids being raised not knowing what many of those symbols represent.

I wouldn’t celebrate a jewish holiday regardless of how badly I wanted presents for several days in a row.

I don’t believe that Christmas is “under attack” like O’reilly seems to believe. However, it doesn’t do anyone any good to turn this holiday into some godless tradition of spending as much money as possible on crap most people don’t need while yelling, “Happy Holidays” as if religion was never a part of it.

I feel that if you are going to reject the idea of God, then reject all of it. Don’t jump in and out whenever it benefits you to do so and then turn around and degrade religion and those who are religious.[/quote]

ya thats exactly what i think. well at least now i do.

i cant tell u how bad i feel celebrating christmas for my whole life. its like celebrating hanukah (?) even though ur not jewish. I was just a little imature selfish sob who only liked christmas because i got toys, money, clothes, etc.

my parents tell me that its tradition but thats besides the point. tradition for who? anyone who celebrates in the birth of jesus christ and believes him.

now christmas sales…thats a different story…

Christmas is also a NATIONAL holiday, which is why so many people get the day off, or several as the case may be - from school, work, whatever.

Everyone is free to celebrate it or not as their conscience dictates. If you were raised in a household that celebrated, you will probably do the same. Ironically, the only people I personally know who don’t do ANYTHING for Christmas are Latter Day Saints or Mormons, who actually do believe in Jesus.

All the godless heathens are just in it for the gifts, I guess. But then again, as I understand it most of our “Christmas” traditions were borrowed from other religions so that the Catholics could snuff out all competition, so I guess it all evens out in the end. The unbelievers can celebrate Saturnalia for all I care. Atheists need holidays too.

[quote]Cunnivore wrote:
Christmas is also a NATIONAL holiday, which is why so many people get the day off, or several as the case may be - from school, work, whatever.

Everyone is free to celebrate it or not as their conscience dictates. If you were raised in a household that celebrated, you will probably do the same. Ironically, the only people I personally know who don’t do ANYTHING for Christmas are Latter Day Saints or Mormons, who actually do believe in Jesus.

All the godless heathens are just in it for the gifts, I guess. But then again, as I understand it most of our “Christmas” traditions were borrowed from other religions so that the Catholics could snuff out all competition, so I guess it all evens out in the end. The unbelievers can celebrate Saturnalia for all I care. Atheists need holidays too.[/quote]

Well, of course people will do whatever they want. However, if we are discussing morals, I would think someone who truly takes a personal stand against anything involving God is pretty shallow to turn around and celebrate a holiday based in religion while covering their eyes and ears to that fact just so they can get presents. Considering the number of Christians in this country, it doesn’t surprise me that it is a “national holiday”. The question is, why do atheists take part in it and what do they tell their children.

It seems to have become “tradition” to take part in it while ignoring the root of it. I guess that same tradition allows them to degrade those who believe in God the day after Christmas. The “Spirit of Christmas” means what?

It’s easy to celebrate Xmas without in any way dealing with religion. Decorating the xmas tree, putting up the lights, Santa Claus–all the good stuff about Xmas has nothing to do with religion.

Christmas is a time of year when people from ALL religions can come together and worship Jesus Christ.

Religious people can celebrate Christmas as a religious holiday and those who aren’t religious can celebrate it as they do any other holiday.

Many Christians celebrate Halloween, a pagan holiday, without any problem.

Personally, I see it as a great time to get together with friends and family, to take a bit of time off from the daily routine and get to spend quality time with what is really important in life: the kids, the wife, family and close friends.

[quote]pookie wrote:

Many Christians celebrate Halloween, a pagan holiday, without any problem.

[/quote]

That doesn’t make it any more right, however. I remember my parents telling me what the holiday represented (Halloween), what they disagreed with, what some of the symbols meant and why they were still allowing me to dress up and get candy…because I was a kid. If that same information isn’t being given, I think the parents are at fault for not giving their kids the tools they need to make their own decisions in life. That is truly how I feel about it.

Forcing your kids to grow up thinking that a belief in God is a negative is just as bad as forcing a child to think that all other religions are going to hell. I wonder how many here would dissuade their kids from a belief in God.

I ask that because my parents never stopped me from exploring. I went to Catholic churches with friends in high school. One Buddhist temple (my high school was more diverse than any I’ve heard about). I was never told to avoid doing that even though I was raised with a base foundation in both pentecostal and baptist churches.

[/quote]
I agree; however, my wife makes me celebrate it because she feels it is more about the “spirit of goodness” in people–whatever that means. I do not like exchanging gifts so I get called a cheap-skate by the in-laws because this is purely what x-mas is all about to them even though they call themselves Christians. My wife won’t let me not accept gifts from her relatives and I get to feel extremly hypocritical for it.

… I went to Catholic churches with friends in high school. One Buddhist temple …[/quote]

You are going straight to hell. Twice.

That doesn’t make it any more right, however. I remember my parents telling me what the holiday represented (Halloween), what they disagreed with, what some of the symbols meant and why they were still allowing me to dress up and get candy…because I was a kid. If that same information isn’t being given, I think the parents are at fault for not giving their kids the tools they need to make their own decisions in life. That is truly how I feel about it.[/quote]

I agree. I have no intention of forcing my beliefs, or lack of such on my kids. Their grandparents are very religious and I don’t have a problem with them explaining to my kids Jesus or the Virgin Mary in the nativity scene they have under their tree.

Although if they ask daddy, I will tell them that I don’t believe in the divinity of Jesus or in the various miracles, etc. I do agree on the validity of his moral teachings, though.

The way some people use their belief in God, their is little doubt that it can be a negative. Other people derive a lot of strength and inner peace from their beliefs. It comes down, as in many other things, to the individuals.

Whatever I do, I hope they’ll make up their own minds. I’d rather they be honest about the way they really feel than to secretly believe while saying they don’t.

Although, pragmatically, keeping your lack of belief to yourself will save countless hours of pointless arguments with family, friends and neighbors.

If you really want to test that, try telling your parents you’re an atheist.

[quote]pookie wrote:

If you really want to test that, try telling your parents you’re an atheist.
[/quote]

That would never happen. Based on what they’ve taught, what I have experienced in my own life, and how that leads to the beliefs I do have, there is no way I could be “atheist”. They are well aware, however, that I am not as “religious” as they are in terms of how they act even though I pray constantly and truly believe in a higher power. I guess there is something to be said for looking at how someone lives their life rather than focusing on how much they simply aren’t like you.

After having written that…I suppose I could take those same words to heart as far as others.

Pagan holidays are for everyone!

Most christians are largely unaware that christmas is littered with pagan traditions. The christmas tree, mistletoes, gift giving, yule logs, etc. Even the date itself, December 25, was originally the date of celebration for the winter solstice and the Persian sun god, Mithras.

Although December 25, and christmas in general, is largely associated with christianity, those celebrating it as such should give a shout out to the Druids, Celtics, Romans, Babylonians, and other pagans for many of their traditions.

Not that any of this really matters to me, I fucking hate the holidays as a whole.

[quote]Marmadogg wrote:
Pagan holidays are for everyone![/quote]

Damnit Marm, you beet me too it! :-]

[quote]bigflamer wrote:
Marmadogg wrote:
Pagan holidays are for everyone!

Damnit Marm, you beet me too it! :-]

[/quote]

Merry Saturnalia, Natalis Solis Invicti, and Yule!

cmon people, lets get back on track here

ive started this same exact thread in another forum and many people say that it was a pagan holiday and the three wise men gave baby Jesus presents, hence the gift giving. Also, a good point was made: CHRISTmas. However, someone said that its too commercialized to be a holiday.

what r ur thoughts on all of this.

[quote]B.b. in stress! wrote:
However, someone said that its too commercialized to be a holiday.
[/quote]
Whoever said that must not have heard about how the grinch stole christmas.

Maybe Christmas doesn’t come from a store. Maybe Christmas he thought, means a little bit more.

Seriously though, in my family, a few of us celebrate it as a religious holiday. But for the rest, the atheists, it’s a time when the whole family can get together and have a good, relaxing time with lots of food, some gifts, and good company.

I fail to see how anyone could dislike the fact that atheists use December 25 (the date of a pagan holiday) to get the family together and enjoy each other’s company. Christmas would still be cool without Jesus or gifts.

[quote]Agressive Napkin wrote:
Christmas would still be cool without Jesus or gifts.[/quote]

Yes, it would be a weekend…with family visiting. Why the need for the “Christmas get up” if this is simply an atheistic homecoming? You could simply call it “…Mas” where the “christ” is silent. Hell, it could last all week. Why worry about whether it is the 25th? Why not be really original and tell the kids its “family fun day” and have it on the 23rd?