Christmas Eating Strategies

Lonnie has a article on this already, but I’d like to hear some other opinions.

To everyone out there, what eating strategies do you you all use to curb overeating during the Christmas/New Year period?

Some of my favourites include:

a) Cooking as much of the food as possible myself. That way I know exactly what I’m eating

b) Making a point not to eat too many of the appetisers. That’s where the big calories lie, in my opinion.

c) Watch out for the calorie containing drinks.

d) Pre-eat at home before going out.

e) Exercising before the “big” meals and use that meal as my 2nd post-workout meal.

The winter is for bulking, man.

I also like to complete a workout prior to the big meal, thereby making the most of any extra calories. I stick to filling up on proteins and good carbs like veggies and fruits. I also avoid the gravy on any potatoes. After the meal I’m too full to even think about eating pie.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
The winter is for bulking, man.[/quote]

Just want to let you know we have summer Xmas over this side of the earth :slight_smile:

[quote]RagingBull wrote:
To everyone out there, what eating strategies do you you all use to curb overeating during the Christmas/New Year period?

Some of my favourites include:

a) Cooking as much of the food as possible myself. That way I know exactly what I’m eating

b) Making a point not to eat too many of the appetisers. That’s where the big calories lie, in my opinion.

c) Watch out for the calorie containing drinks.

d) Pre-eat at home before going out.

e) Exercising before the “big” meals and use that meal as my 2nd post-workout meal. [/quote]

On top of this list I would like to add:

1. Keep training around Xmas (no excuse especially you have summer Xmas like us)

2. Avoid those BBQs at work (again, quite common in Aust. and NZ around Xmas)

3. Avoid excessive alcohol

Geekboy

you know how it is…when you’re used to eating smaller, cleaner meals, you can’t/don’t feel like gorging yourself.

I’ll do it sometimes, 'cause a few times outta the year isn’t going to hurt in the long run. just train harder.

and as it was said…winter’s fur bulking :wink:

[quote]technic wrote:
and as it was said…winter’s fur bulking ;)[/quote]

I guess everyone has their own self-justified excuses for pigging out.

Those are all great strategies. If you’re cooking the food, you mind as well pre-eat what you just made too! It accomplishes the goal of not eating the apitiziers too!

Bring some fruit in a bag in your car with you. If you must eat something with all the good smells it’s better the fruit than the potato chips and dip.

Its summer down here in Oz ya bastards, & im cutting! my theory is no allocated / pre-arranged cheat meals / days & take it easy at the xmas parties. i’ll drive so i cant drink too much & save the big eating til im with the family…

[quote]hockechamp14 wrote:
Bring some fruit in a bag in your car with you. If you must eat something with all the good smells it’s better the fruit than the potato chips and dip.[/quote]

Haha, I love that one… I’ve used it myself.

“HockeyChamp, how come you keep disappearing out to the car?”

Haven’t you killers heard of hoodia tea?

A strong pot of hoodia tea and a set of HOT-ROX extreme is enough appetite suppression to make me contemplate suicide.

Just train before each big meal. I do a double round, Litvinovs in the morning and some cleans and squats before dinner.

You can’t get fat in one day. Just don’t eat dumb other than christmas eve and day and new years and you’ll be good as.

It’s also a leptin reset. Think positive and proactive lads.

-chris

Perhaps not a direct answer to your inquiry, but I thought it’s funny.

“I eat anywhere off-season. Dieting I stay home where it’s safe.” - Lee Priest

[quote]florin wrote:

“I eat anywhere off-season. Dieting I stay home where it’s safe.” - Lee Priest[/quote]

LOL. Even if trying to cut some weight, Christmas Day and Thanksgiving day are both true CHEAT DAYS. Why even stress over it?

[quote]Professor X wrote:
LOL. Even if trying to cut some weight, Christmas Day and Thanksgiving day are both true CHEAT DAYS. Why even stress over it?[/quote]

Nobody’s stressing, but the reasoning is quite simple. A cheat meal now and then won’t do you any real harm, but to just let everything go and have and mentally allow yourself an entire cheat DAY is irresponsible if you’re serious about your goals.

Firstly, if you mentally cut loose from your dietarty plan for an entire day, you’re much more likely to hugely overeat due to the “what the hell, it’s my cheat day/I’d better eat this now cause there’s no way I’m allowed to touch it on any other day” mentality.

Secondly, that kind of serious overeating can take a week of stricter eating to balance out. Who wants to have to go through that when there’s no real need to and when you think about it, gives you no real lasting pleasure?

[quote]RagingBull wrote:
Professor X wrote:
LOL. Even if trying to cut some weight, Christmas Day and Thanksgiving day are both true CHEAT DAYS. Why even stress over it?

Nobody’s stressing, but the reasoning is quite simple. A cheat meal now and then won’t do you any real harm, but to just let everything go and have and mentally allow yourself an entire cheat DAY is irresponsible if you’re serious about your goals.

Firstly, if you mentally cut loose from your dietarty plan for an entire day, you’re much more likely to hugely overeat due to the “what the hell, it’s my cheat day/I’d better eat this now cause there’s no way I’m allowed to touch it on any other day” mentality.

Secondly, that kind of serious overeating can take a week of stricter eating to balance out. Who wants to have to go through that when there’s no real need to and when you think about it, gives you no real lasting pleasure?

[/quote]

I guess some of us just enjoy life more than others. You dont have to take everything so damn serious.

Eat whatever you want Thanksgiving day [obviously over]. Eat whatever you want Christmas day. Eat whatever you want New Years. DON’T treat any days in between any different than any other time of year except for the occasional treat. Otherwise eat according to your physique-goals of the moement.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
florin wrote:

“I eat anywhere off-season. Dieting I stay home where it’s safe.” - Lee Priest

LOL. Even if trying to cut some weight, Christmas Day and Thanksgiving day are both true CHEAT DAYS. Why even stress over it?[/quote]

Yeah. People don’t gain fat over the holidays because they eat badly on Thanksgiving and Christmas. People gain fat because they start eating junk on Thanksgiving and go straight on doing so right though New Years.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
The winter is for bulking, man.[/quote]

A-fucking-men. I plan on stripping the fat down I’ve picked up after New Year’s, until then the next 4 weeks of my life are going to be spent in a bloated stupor. Pass some more deer jerkey, I need the energy to make it upstairs to the cookies…230 or bust.

[quote]MODOK wrote:
Christmas Eating Strategy:

8:00 - Stumble out of bed, grab handful of cordial cherries, Wherther’s Originals, and nuts on the way to pee. This will get you out of that nasty catabolic state and get the anabolic insulin flowing.

9:30 While playing new XBox 360, consume the final 1/2 of deluxe pizza from last nights party. If playing a sports game, replinish glycogen with gatorade/powerade.

12:00 Annual Turkey Bowl touch football game- be sure and stuff your sweat suit pockets with goodies from the stocking, to be consumed in the huddle. Place 1/4 orange wedge in between teeth and gums as makeshift mouthpiece.

3:30 Christmas Dinner GO easy on the turkey and try to convince relatives to eat the ham instead. Your going to need the leftover bird tommorrow when you come back down to planet earth from Willy Wonka Land, and you don’t need your 60 year old aunt completely wasting such wonderful, lowfat protein by shoving it down her gelatinous piehole.

4:00 Nap. Place candycane in mouth to prevent ketosis while sleeping.

6:00 Trivial Pursuit Challenge: Wager with the dumber members of the family the shares of leftovers. Try to increase your stake of the turkey.

8:00 First Dressing Sandwich - Dressing/ white bread/ mayonaise.

12:00 midnight Prebedtime Snack- cottage cheese… and gravy. [/quote]

LOL on the gatorade.

As for the 360- being a little presumptuous on your gifts this year huh?

I know everyone has different metabolisms etc, but unless you’re preparing for a contest, are you serious that pigging out for a day will really make any differance…I swear that I could eat 8000 calories for a couple of days and not see any change…come the next workout you’ll have a nice bit of energy and be bursting to hit the weights heavy.

Anyone else feel the same…not having a go at those who feel the need to restrict themselves but if calorie surplus/restriction really worked like you’re suggesting, it wouldn’t take much dedication to get get ripped!

[quote]RagingBull wrote:
technic wrote:
and as it was said…winter’s fur bulking :wink:

I guess everyone has their own self-justified excuses for pigging out.

[/quote]

Are you a professional athlete of Lance Armstrong’s caliber? If not, then you’re pretty lame for worrying about such things.

Oh, and here’s some bad news: The body is a complex organism. All this worrying about ONE meal has caused your body to release excessive cortisol. If you have just had a worry-free day, you would have been better off than you are now. But all of this agonizing will cause you to lose muscle and gain fat.

Sad, but true.