T Nation

Christmas Cards

Do you send 'em ?

Do you like getting them?

Do one of those ‘family update’ letters?

Thoughts…opinions ?

[quote]sen say wrote:
Do you send 'em ?[/quote]
no

sure

no

They are a great idea to keep friends and family updated. It also requires a good deal of money and time. Email is fine with me.

[quote]sen say wrote:
Do you send 'em ?
[/quote]
Nope

Doesn’t matter one way or the other.

I never understood that. Who reads them?

[quote]
Thoughts…opinions ?[/quote]

Thought: What will happen if I never flush the toilet at work again?

Opinion: I like boobies.

also no on all counts.

i especially detest those cards sent out of some misguided obligation to send something - superficial sentiments i can do without.

the spirit of what is supposed to be christmas - family, sharing, compassion, etc. etc - is best displayed and practiced 366 days a year, 8 days a week IMHO…

I send a few but not many. Only to special people in my life.

I don’t agree with the way most people seem to do it here in the UK and send to everyone in their address book regardless of whether they are good friends/family or just someone they met on a beach in Ibiza twelve years ago.

Likewise, getting them - Nice to be thought of, but I only truly appreciate cards from those special people in my life. Oh and any with money in of course.

Generally speaking I think it’s just a huge waste of trees. Bah, Humbug!

[quote]sen say wrote:
Do you send 'em ?

We send cards with an annual picture. I’d love to claim credit, but the most I do is the photography – my wife does all the actual work of creating and sending.

I like getting them just because my wife makes a collage on the door with all the cards we get – it reminds me we have friends, lol.

I have a personal neurosis (I know that’s redundant) about the family update letters, I guess – they annoy me, because I feel as though people ought to put the effort into sustaining and cultivating friendships all year long. It seems to me that few people bother to develop real friendships anymore, now that maintaining ‘contact’ can be kept impersonal. Just my issue.

I used to send them, but over the past couple of years I sort of lost the Christmas spirit and don’t bother. The only people getting cards this year are people I buy for, and those cards are only to house the gift cards being given.

Getting cards is fine, but not a big deal. I’m not sure what these “family update” letters are.

I send to close friends and family, and love getting them. The newsletters drive me crazy. I frankly resent feeling forced/obligated to read them. If you have something personal to say to me, say it. But I don’t need to know about your parents’ new house or your husband’s promotion if I don’t, in fact, know your parents or your husband.

I’d be happy to have a handwritten note saying something like “Emily, good news…my husband got a promotion, and I thought I’d use some of the extra to fly you out to my parents’ new place on the coast!”

But the Christmas card newsletter people are exactly the sort of people who never write that kind of note.

I love getting them! They make for great kindling in my firplace…if it makes you feel any better, I use them on Christmas Eve.

[quote]EmilyQ wrote:
I send to close friends and family, and love getting them. The newsletters drive me crazy. I frankly resent feeling forced/obligated to read them. If you have something personal to say to me, say it. But I don’t need to know about your parents’ new house or your husband’s promotion if I don’t, in fact, know your parents or your husband.

I’d be happy to have a handwritten note saying something like “Emily, good news…my husband got a promotion, and I thought I’d use some of the extra to fly you out to my parents’ new place on the coast!”

But the Christmas card newsletter people are exactly the sort of people who never write that kind of note.[/quote]

We must know some of the same people. I really hate getting those things. Here, read this letter I wrote where I go on and on about how wonderful my life is and other trivial matters when I haven’t seen you since you were in grade school. Who are you again? Yeah, save the stamp.

[quote]sen say wrote:
Only to immediate family members and friends I cherish.

Sure, why not.

Oh hell no!! And cant stand these things either!! It amazes me how people think I would actually care if their Uncle Johnny was in the hospital due to an advanced ear infection or that little Bobby did his first poop! People who send this crap out really over rate themselves.

[quote]sen say wrote:
Yes.

Yes.

No.

It’s the only way to celebrate when you aren’t going home.

[quote]BodyBldgBabe wrote:
sen say wrote:

Oh hell no!! And cant stand these things either!! It amazes me how people think I would actually care if their Uncle Johnny was in the hospital due to an advanced ear infection or that little Bobby did his first poop! People who send this crap out really over rate themselves.
[/quote]

Very funny post, B-3. You have captured the tragic flaw of family update letters perfectly. I always feel bad for the family members who didn’t compose the inane drivel about their lives, but who get exploited anyway.

We send, probably more than we ought.

Getting them is fine, especially if they include pictures of friends’ kids you don’t get to see all the time.

Uhm, no. We don’t do the family letter thing.

B-3, will you be sending holiday greetings to Football and Renton? Maybe something with Santa lounging on a hammock between two palm trees? Or maybe YOU lounging in the hammock, eyeing the palm trees with that come hither look. Just to keep 'em revved up.

WICKED new avatar, BTW.

My wife sends actual cards to all her friends and family, my family and my friends whom she knows.

I scan one card and email it to my other friends.

I sent this one out and got into a little trouble. Fuck 'em

Dear Friends and Family,

WOW! What a year we have had. We have definitely had our ups and downs this year. Where do I even start?

Mindee is definitely our pride and joy. This super kindergartener is going to take the world by storm. She sure is talkative which sometimes gets her in trouble with the Duck (Ms.Smith her teacher). The problem is she stutters so much she sounds like Mel Tillis on crack. Her therapist tells us that at least it isn�??t a physical problem. Apparently, that is the way she hears things in her head.

Apparently she is actually stuttering in her mind! I don�??t know how they figured that one out but isn�??t modern medicine wonderful? Well, we took her to the clinic and they gave her some Ritalin. The RN thought it would help. After some adjustments, she has all but quit drooling. Ms. Smith says Mindee�??s behavior has been so much better since she started taking the medicine. She says Mindee is now catlike (calls it catatonic). We are so proud!

We welcomed little Bobby into our hearts and lives this year. We weren�??t sure we were going to get custody of him, but Myrna (the mother) finally saw it our way. Yes, I have forgiven Alex. I love him and our new son too much to leave them. He has promised never to cheat on me again, so I know he never will. Little Bobbie is the cutest thing! Who knew a baby with a cleft pallet and hair lip could be so adorable? The RN says he shouldn�??t have too much trouble learning to talk. We are so blessed!

Alex is doing pretty well. Right now he is a stay at home dad and he loves it! Little Bobbie gets his daycare paid for, so Alex can get the extra rest he needs. He was working as a flagman for the Highway Department, but quit after talking to the RN. Apparently Medicaid won�??t pay for stomach staples unless you are 150 pounds overweight.

He only weighed 300 pounds when he went in. In order to maximize his weight gain, he quit work. He is so smart, I never would have thought of that. He is now up to 320 and only has 10 pounds more to go! Keep him in your prayers! In other good news, he has quit beating me when he is sober. He has cut down on his drinking and is now drunk only 3-4 nights a week. Even I can stay out of his way for that long. He is such a good Dad. He never lays a finger on the kids.

My job at the Love�??s Truck Stop is going well. My boss moved me to the 2am-11am shift. This way I am able to pick up Robbie from daycare and see Mindee get off the bus. Also, I have time in the afternoon to clean the house and do laundry. Everyone knows how Alex hates clutter! My boss says that if I work real hard, I may make head cashier. If that happens, Alex says I can quit dancing at Poppa Top�??s on Tuesday nights. The infection from my newest tattoo (Alex�??s name in Gothic letters) is all but cleared up. It is on my lower back and the scabbing should clear once the infection is gone.

I hope this letter finds everyone in good health. Have a blessed and Merry Christmas.

We send out “Photo” Cards with our daughters on them. We use it as a chance to get people in our lives pictures, once a year…showing our girls growing up. We send out roughly 100+ of these, and it costs about $30 total, including shipping. This is the photo everyone got this year, just on a Christmas card, with a greeting. Simple and cheap. Done and Done.

I was going to try to make the picture from the iron woody website into a Xmas card but lost motoviation.

I don’t know if it is still on the site but it had santa reading a note that said “You are a big fat drunk” haha there were two kids creeping behind him with a baseball bat.

[quote]sen say wrote:
Do you send 'em ?

Its 21st century,my man!
Use e-mail or cell phone!

People that do family letters are oddballs. I’ve never received one, but then I’m young and don’t know too many families. I suspect if I get them from people I will do like the above and send out a fake one mocking them.

[quote]Skeetz wrote:
BodyBldgBabe wrote:
sen say wrote:

B-3, will you be sending holiday greetings to Football and Renton? Maybe something with Santa lounging on a hammock between two palm trees? Or maybe YOU lounging in the hammock, eyeing the palm trees with that come hither look. Just to keep 'em revved up.[/quote]

Let’s just say Im very generous to my boyfriends during the holiday season!! ;->

Thanks! I’ll be kissing Ren under the mistletoe with those lips :-*