T Nation

Christmas Advice...

Who here is planning to let it all go for the few days over Christmas?? I’m debating what to do- I’ve worked out all year (4-5 days a week,) I havn’t taken a break since July, I feel totally burnt out, I don’t eat cheat meals, I’m always active, and I’m wondering if by taking a week off over Christmas and just eating and resting if this would be a good idea or not- no cardio, no weights.

One problem would be that I only require 2000 calories or so for maintenance, but I have a huge appetite (stats- 5ft 10/ 5ft 11, 125lbs, very low bodyfat- have been using the method of measuring for the past month and a half, and it’s given me a reading of about 3% or less…) so one thing I’d be worried about is just gaining fat. Has anybody any thoughts? What are you all planning to do in terms of exercise or whatever or Christmas??

If you’ve been working out 5 times a week, EVERY week since July, you are kind of dumb. :wink:

Have you ever heard of deloading? Or just giving your body a break? Nobody benefits from putting CONSTANT stress on the muscles over too long periods of time! A smart trainee will always include a week off/deload every now and then, otherwise you are sure to get burnt out, and your progress will most definitely come to a halt.

I suggest that you take two weeks completely off (in the very least), and give your body a chance to recuperate a bit, before you get back on the horse.

And in the future… you need to take a week completely off/deload every now and then - it is vital that you do.

Are you an ecto or an endo? How much did you weigh before July?

Just take a week off, it’ll do you more good than harm and you’ll come back rested and more likely, stronger.

take a break. EAT. you are almost 6ft tall and only weigh 125lbs…yikes! when you start back, cut your lifting to 3 days a week of big compound movement and limit the cardio to sprint workouts on off days.

at least you don’t have to worry about getting lean first! at your age you can put on clean weight with good food and hard work. ask for “starting strength” by Mark Rippetoe for christmas!

sb

I�??m going to workout whenever the gym is open, and keep giving away or throwing out the junk food I come across. I ate two pieces of candy, half a pizza, and three cookies yesterday and I feel like a giant asshole right now.

There�??s a huge bag of baked goods in my kitchen that�??s going to end up in the arms of a local homeless man later today. And when I go on vacation in Mexico, my bungalow will have a private pool, you bet your ass I�??m doing laps every day.

[quote]watermelon_2001 wrote:
Who here is planning to let it all go for the few days over Christmas?? I’m debating what to do- I’ve worked out all year (4-5 days a week,) I havn’t taken a break since July, I feel totally burnt out, I don’t eat cheat meals, I’m always active, and I’m wondering if by taking a week off over Christmas and just eating and resting if this would be a good idea or not- no cardio, no weights.

One problem would be that I only require 2000 calories or so for maintenance, but I have a huge appetite (stats- 5ft 10/ 5ft 11, 125lbs, very low bodyfat- have been using the method of measuring for the past month and a half, and it’s given me a reading of about 3% or less…) so one thing I’d be worried about is just gaining fat. Has anybody any thoughts? What are you all planning to do in terms of exercise or whatever or Christmas??[/quote]

Your 5’ 11" and 125?? If I were you I would eat everything in sight. I’ve been eating alot the past week ofcourse i didnt stop lifting but cmon man you can eat what ever you want!

Whoa, 5’11" and 125 lbs? You need to eat, eat, and eat over the holiday and continue to eat more than 2000 calories. As the other guy mentioned, slim down your workout to 3 days a week and do heavy compound exercises… unless of course you just like being 125 lbs… what was your weight before you started training? Just curious.

[quote]watermelon_2001 wrote:

One problem would be that I only require 2000 calories or so for maintenance, but I have a huge appetite (stats- 5ft 10/ 5ft 11, 125lbs, very low bodyfat- have been using the method of measuring for the past month and a half, and it’s given me a reading of about 3% or less…) so one thing I’d be worried about is just gaining fat. Has anybody any thoughts? What are you all planning to do in terms of exercise or whatever or Christmas??[/quote]

EAT. You will not get fat. Your body will use the food to regenerate and grow. It frustrates me how some skinny people can’t understand that to gain muscle, you need to fucking EAT.

Nobody ever got fat by eating properly on a 1 week deload.

At 125lbs, and I don’t care who you are, eating should be your priority right now. You have a huge appetite because your body wants food.

Spend this Xmas holiday to eat, eat, and eat. Then eat some more. Oh yeah, and sleep 9-10 hrs a day.

I promise you that if you eat a shitload right now, after the holiday when you get back to lifting, your weights will bounce right up. Your energy levels will be through the roof and you will add muscle faster.

Just eat.

125lbs? are you sure your not really a 10yo Girl Scout in disguise? No really you need to eat. Hell I feel tiny most of the time at 180lbs. I can’t imagine how anorexic I’d look at 125! You need to take some time off and eat. If you are lifting T-Nation style you are lifting too many days/wk and not eating near enough. At that low of a bodyweight I can’t see anyone putting on a lot of fat. The reason you are hungry is because you are starving.

To answer your question. I’m taking this week off of cutting and eating whatever I feel like. I’ll still record it but I’m not going to stress about it. You shouldn’t either.

PeterD

[quote]mopar_nocar wrote:
when you start back, cut your lifting to 3 days a week of big compound movement and limit the cardio to sprint workouts on off days. [/quote]

bad idea, especially for a skinny guy. Your body will be forced to choose between strength and endurance this way (if you lift 4 hours a week and run 4 hours a week, the body will choose endurance). I just read this in the new rules of lifting, sorry I can’t produce the reference.

OP, you are very very skinny, you need to eat much more than 2000 calories a day, you need to limit the cardio, and you need to do heavy compound movements and rest at least 3 non-consecutive days per week (go read CT’s posts in the Physique Clinic).

Your current plan and diet should be posted so if we are able to, we can help.

damn man i used to be 130 at 6ft and i thought if i ever reached 180 id be built, well i am 185 now and i still think im fukin ridiculously skinny.

im letting it all hang out this xmas in a big way. after a good years training why not treat yourself to a hell of a lot of over indulgence drink eat and best of all have a dam good time.

[quote]PozzSka wrote:
mopar_nocar wrote:
when you start back, cut your lifting to 3 days a week of big compound movement and limit the cardio to sprint workouts on off days.

bad idea, especially for a skinny guy. Your body will be forced to choose between strength and endurance this way (if you lift 4 hours a week and run 4 hours a week, the body will choose endurance). I just read this in the new rules of lifting, sorry I can’t produce the reference.
[/quote]

sprinting is NOT endurance work. agilities for warm up, 5x10m sprints followed by 1 to 3 of 20m. that’s it for “cardio.” i should have been more specific about what i meant by sprints.

sprints i have heard will produce a great deal of explosive force…and stimulate type IIb muscle fibers. if he was a total beginner, I would say stay away from sprints altogether and concentrate on perfecting his form on his lifts.

sb

I’m just over 200, and i feel like a skinny bastard. You must be a microscopic piece of dust.

On that note, here’s a good diet plan for you, which you should follow blindly:

1. Eat EVERYTHING in sight, eat EVERYTHING you can find.
  2. See 1.