Christian T's OVT Program

3 sets of 6 regular pullups are cool. Even adding just a few pounds now wouldn’t be a bad idea, though–just drop down to triples, fours or fives for your reps.

The only supplements that I reccomend right now is a lot of protein and EFAs. Why? Because if you start using exotic prohormone stacks and whatever else, you’re never going to know what worked and what didn’t. Nail down basic diet and training first before you go with the exotic stuff.

Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely think that Mag-10 has a place in a well designed training program. I just think that place is probably when you’re ready to gain MASS. This, as you have probably guessed is the “pre-mass” stage. But don’t think of this as wasted time. You’re upping your 1RM, which means that you can use more weight on the mass sets. That means that you can put the muscle under more stress, which means ultimately more mass. (Also if you train for mass indefinitely, first you are weaker than you would be otherwise, and second, you’ll end up stalling your progress by not having enough strength.)

Dan “Strength First” McVicker

sorry, what’s EFA?

ok, so chanko diet w/ “cheating” is ok?

so, the sups im taking now are…
1-protein (in addition to all the tuna in chanko)
2-flax seed (can i get capsules instead of liquid?)
3-GNC Mega Man as multivit(hope this is ok)
4-should i get “Branched-Chain Amino Acids/Glutamine” as per Chad Waterbury’s recommendations?

Eat as cleanly as possible. Do a search for The Diet Manifesto 2.0 and look for the articles about Cheating.

I like Chanko, myself–easy and to the point.

EFAs=essential fatty acids. Look for Cassandra’s posts on the topic, or do a search on the main mag for more info. (The Fat Roundtable may be useful.)

The supps you’re using look perfect. If I were to select one other one, I would say use “Surge”. Using a post-workout drink has made a big difference for me.

OK.

Dan “Any more questions?” McVicker

Wouldn’t taking surge in additon to everything be a protein overload?

Tryin’

Man, I’m trying really hard to be patient. Really hard. Instead of trying to answer your questions, I’m just going to try to point you to some high quality info on this very site.

Surge won’t create a “protein overload”. Read “Solving the Post-workout Puzzle” (Parts one and two) by John Berardi.

Dan “RTFM” McVicker

I will Dan thanks…in the meantime check out the forum i started on All The Whey Protein, maybe you could shed some light.

OK, how does this modified beginner’s blast-ff program look?

Modified Beginner’s Blast off Split:

Monday: Back and Biceps (Deadlift Day)

Pull-ups (3x6)	
	Heavy Deadlifts (?)
	Light Squats [??]
	Dumbbell Rows (3x6)
	Pull-Downs (light, to try to isolate the lats) (2x8)

Tuesday: Chest and Triceps

Dumbbell Bench Press (4x6)
	Dumbbell Flyes (3x6)
	Lying Tricep Extension (Skull crushers) (3x6)
	Parallel Bar Dips (weighted) (3*6)

Wednesday: Off

Thursday: Quads and Hamstrings (Squat Day)

Heavy Squats [Should/can I also add front squats - I like those very 				much]
	Light Deadlifts (or light Deadlift Variation)
	Lying hamstring curls
	Lunges (Same leg)

Friday: Shoulders, Calves, and Abs

Dumbbell Overhead Press
	Dumbbell Shrugs
	Rear Delt Raises on Incline Bench (1 extended set)
	Standing Calf Raises- 2 sets
	Sitting Calf Raises- 2 sets

***Need to devise abs workout, still working on it

Saturday and Sunday: off

Okay, I think you’re getting closer.

Let’s take a look at your split.

Pull-ups (3x6)
Heavy Deadlifts (?)
Light Squats [??]
Dumbbell Rows (3x6)
Pull-Downs (light, to try to isolate the lats) (2x8)

1. Drop the Pull-downs. They are pointless. “Isolation” is also a silly notion. Your body works as a unit. You are not Frankenstein, so don’t train your body as a collection of parts.

1. Put the heavy deadlifts first in your workout. Pull three sets or so of 3-5 reps at 80%+ of your 1RM. You have no idea what that is right now, but it should feel tough but doable. Put the light squats at the end, you’re just going to be doing a few reps to recall the “groove” of the movement, plus this gives some time for your posterior chain to recover somewhat.

2. The revised day will look like this:
    Deadlifts 3x(3-5)
    Pullups 3x6
    DB Rows 3x6
    Squats 3x6-8 (concentrate on form, not weight).

Dumbbell Bench Press (4x6)
Dumbbell Flyes (3x6)
Lying Tricep Extension (Skull crushers) (3x6)
Parallel Bar Dips (weighted) (3x6)

This looks fine, though I don’t like DB flyes. Just a matter of personal choice.

Heavy Squats [Should/can I also add front squats - I like those very much]
Light Deadlifts (or light Deadlift Variation)
Lying hamstring curls
Lunges (Same leg)

1. I think lying hamstring leg curls are a pretty worthless exercise. I’m sure some people like them, but not me. Pulling deadlifts and deadlift variations will strengthen the hammies much more than lying leg curls. So use a better exercise.

Heavy Back Squats: 3x(3-5)
Front Squats 3x6
Finish with a hamstring exercise–do a search for “hamstrings” on the search engine, and check out the articles by TC, John Davies, and Christian T. Pick ones that look interesting and/or doable. You can try different ones each week until you find one that you like. Follow their loading advice.
Pull some light (“speed”) deadlifts for 3x6-8 reps.

Dumbbell Overhead Press
Dumbbell Shrugs
Rear Delt Raises on Incline Bench (1 extended set)
Standing Calf Raises- 2 sets
Sitting Calf Raises- 2 sets

It looks like you have plenty of experience with this part of the equation. Looks fine.

***Need to devise abs workout, still working on it

Consider hanging leg raises. I also like standing weighted crunches because they work the abs in the same plane of motion that you’re deadlifting and squatting in. Remember to keep the reps low on these as well! Trust me, “ripped, rugged and dense” isn’t bull. More resting levels of tension in the muscle will lead to more definition… so don’t be afraid to keep the reps low and weight/resistance high. (Oh, and if you haven’t read that yet, check it out. “Ripped, Rugged and Dense” by Joel Marion. You can find it in the search engine.)

You know what I just realized? You built up this whole program without any direct bicep work! That’s huge. Most “upper-body” only people are addicted to direct bicep work. I’m not opposed to it, I just think it’s good that you’re experimenting on doing a cycle without it. I would stick with this cycle for a while–about 4-6 weeks, and then go on to something else, either hypertrophy or a different strength program.

Dan “italics” McVicker

I know man, I was thinking that as i looked over…my biceps are pretty good (unfortunately probably my best part), so yea i wont be doing any direct bullshit curling and the such, wasting my fucking time.

“steve meet the squat rack…squat rack meet steve” --thats me for the next 4-6 weeks WATCH OUT!!

… just the fact that you called it the “squat rack” instead of the “curl rack” means that the recovery has already begun.

Dan “Witness to the Birth of a new T-man” McVicker

1.	Heavy Deadlifts 3x (3-5)
	2.	Pull-ups 3x6
	3.	Dumbbell Rows 3x6
	4.	Pull-Downs (light) 2x8 
			**Note: the only reason I 									left these in was because I can't say the quality 					of my 	pull-ups are very good. I really have to 						squeeze out 	the last set of 6, even use my 						momentum. So, here the pull-downs I feel will 						make up for my "cheating" on the pull-ups. By 						cheating I don't mean swaying back and forth 						but I'm just not satisfied with my pull-ups yet.
	5.	Light Squats 3 x (6-8)

1.	Dumbbell Bench Press 4x6
	2.	Dumbbell Incline Bench Press 3x6
	3.	Close-Grip Bench Press 3x6
	4.	Lying Tricep Extension (Skull crushers) 3x6
	5.	Parallel Bar Dips (weighted) 3x6

1.	Heavy Back Squats 3x (3-5)
	2.	Front Squats 3x6
	2.	Light Deadlifts (Speed) 3x (6-8)
	3.	Stiff-legged good morning 3x (6-8)
	4.	1 1/3 Leg Curls 3x 6-8

1.	Dumbbell Overhead Press 3x (6-8)
	2.	Dumbbell Shrugs 3x 6
	3.	Rear Delt Raises on Incline Bench (1 extended set)
	4.	Standing Calf Raises- 3x 6
	5.	Sitting Calf Raises- 3x 10
	6.	Standing Weighted Crunches 4x (6-8)
	More ab work to be added

Saturday and Sunday: off